Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?

Old 11-26-16, 02:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I wouldn't go from an LX to a new Land Cruiser. I would just keep my older LX.
Old 11-26-16, 07:04 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nope. don't agree. Both are two completely different set ups. LX is a very good vehicle for what it is. Will likely last longer, have better resale. And it can do a lot of things the Q7 can't. That is not to say the Q7 is not good, just different and more up to date and modern.
I can see your point but all that doesn't take away from the fact that the LX is a dinosaur and the Q7 is not. I think we aren't seeing eye to eye because there are really two odd vehicles to cross shop. For its class, I still say the LX is among the best. The Q7 is more of in the price bracket of the GX and loaded RX, and is probably cross shopped more with the latter of those two because nobody buys the GX.
Old 11-26-16, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I can see your point but all that doesn't take away from the fact that the LX is a dinosaur and the Q7 is not.
The LX, yes, is big......but, especially parked next to a Chevy Suburban/Ford Expedition XL and/or their GMC/Cadillac/Lincoln siblings, I wouldn't call it a dinosaur.

I grew up with big 1960s and 70s-vintage American cars......I know what real dinosaurs are.

Old 11-26-16, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I can see your point but all that doesn't take away from the fact that the LX is a dinosaur and the Q7 is not. I think we aren't seeing eye to eye because there are really two odd vehicles to cross shop. For its class, I still say the LX is among the best. The Q7 is more of in the price bracket of the GX and loaded RX, and is probably cross shopped more with the latter of those two because nobody buys the GX.
Can't go wrong with either the LX or Q7.
Old 11-26-16, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can't go wrong with either the LX or Q7.
I'd rate the Toyota Land Cruiser a somewhat better buy for the money than an LX (Do you agree?) Virtually identical vehicle for less money....although, of course, the Land Cruiser itself is not cheap.
Old 11-27-16, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd rate the Toyota Land Cruiser a somewhat better buy for the money than an LX (Do you agree?) Virtually identical vehicle for less money....although, of course, the Land Cruiser itself is not cheap.
"Better buy" is relative. If one is paying $80,000 for a vehicle can one pay $90,000 for a vehicle that has more prestige, a much better interior, better dealer service, more features, better warranty? Not to mention it's easier to find an LX on the lot, can you make up some of that difference in the deal you can negotiate? That's paying 12.5% more on an already luxury purchase, it's like buying a $33,750 car instead of a $30,000 car. Most people would consider that upgrade in Lexus vs Toyota to be reasonable (a'la Avalon vs ES). We're just dealing in a much higher price bracket.
Old 11-27-16, 06:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

As the title suggests, I'd be very interested in any and all thoughts you all may have. We do not need to replace our 2010 LX 570 but are, nonetheless, exploring the possibility.

We love Lexus and also have a preference for a sturdier truck-type SUV. Driving the Q7, as nice as it is, underscored that (wife kept saying it reminded her of our RX loaners).

The technology, price point, fuel economy and nimbleness of the Q7 (specifically in loaded Prestige form) are very attractive. However, reliability and service questions/concerns remain in my mind, especially given my solid relationship with my Lexus dealership. Bottom line, though, as nice as the recent updates to the LX are, it's still a pretty tired platform, at a hefty price premium and with pretty sad fuel economy numbers for this day and age (in V8 territory), hence the dilemma...

Thanks!
What about a Cadillac Escalade? I know reliability from GM is usually pretty poor, but the Escalade is well regarded and recently won a comparo in MT where is bested the LX and other luxury SUVs.
Old 11-27-16, 09:05 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Land Cruiser is grand father of them all.
Popular choice world-wide. Car buying decision should be purpose driven.
We're all grown up wiser adults.
Old 11-27-16, 09:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Land Cruiser is grand father of them all.
Popular choice world-wide. Car buying decision should be purpose driven.
We're all grown up wiser adults.
i don't think anyone justifiably can tell another person what should be the driving factor behind a vehicle purchase.
Old 11-27-16, 09:24 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

The LX, yes, is big......but, especially parked next to a Chevy Suburban/Ford Expedition XL and/or their GMC/Cadillac/Lincoln siblings, I wouldn't call it a dinosaur.

I grew up with big 1960s and 70s-vintage American cars......I know what real dinosaurs are.
he was using "dinosaur" to refer to the age of the vehicle, not the size. it's more than a bit long in the tooth.
Old 11-27-16, 09:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
he was using "dinosaur" to refer to the age of the vehicle, not the size. it's more than a bit long in the tooth.
​​​​​​​Agreed on both points.
Old 11-27-16, 11:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

There will be a new Land Cruiser and Lexus LX out for 2018. Maybe just keep your 2010 for another year and buy the new model. Personally I hate the refresh on the LX, that front grill is really ugly/stupid. Plus its an off road vehicle, then they put a front bumper/lip on it that will get ripped off on anything higher than jumping a curb. Also those rear seat tv monitors are a really bad design. I'd buy a Land Cruiser over an LX based on those two things alone.
Old 11-28-16, 04:50 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
There will be a new Land Cruiser and Lexus LX out for 2018. Maybe just keep your 2010 for another year and buy the new model. Personally I hate the refresh on the LX, that front grill is really ugly/stupid. Plus its an off road vehicle, then they put a front bumper/lip on it that will get ripped off on anything higher than jumping a curb. Also those rear seat tv monitors are a really bad design. I'd buy a Land Cruiser over an LX based on those two things alone.

No new generation LC/LX for MY2018.
Old 11-28-16, 05:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, they just invested a ton in refreshing the LC/LX, we're 3 years or so from a full new generation at least.
Old 11-28-16, 06:14 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

........ The Q7 is more of in the price bracket of the GX and loaded RX, and is probably cross shopped more with the latter of those two because nobody buys the GX.
The GX outsold the Q7 in 2015 is only approx 5K units behind in 2016 till date. The GX has done quite well for Lexus in the recent past after the refresh / revised pricing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?