Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

As to being on ones 4th Audi since 2009, I'm on my third Lexus since 2009...no reflection on Lexus reliability I just don't keep cars very long.
Old 11-25-16, 06:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Four Audi's since 2009 seems a little strange, why the quick turnover?
I bought one of the first '09 A5 S-Line Coupes. I decided I wanted a convertible, so I bought a '10 S5 Cab. I wanted a special order convertible (Daytona Gray w/ Tuscan Brown interior), so I ordered an '11 S5 Cab. I traded that for a '13 Lexus GS F-Sport because circumstances changed and I needed more room. I kept the GS the longest, then traded it for a '15 S5 Coupe when I could downsize again. I leased it for 2 years, knowing Audi would be introducing new models. I traded that in September for a '17 A4. So, really I've had 5 Audis since 2009, but the latest one is new so I can't speak to issues at this point.

There's nothing strange. I like to trade cars often. I get bored. Our house is paid for, so that's where my money goes. Wasteful, maybe, but we live once. :-) With that said, we've had our '13 G37 Vert for 3 years and will keep it through the 39-month lease. It will probably be traded for an Audi A5 Sportback. I've outgrown my "coupe phase" and now it is more about utility.
Attached Thumbnails 2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?-10-s5-cab.jpg   2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?-daytona_gray_cab_6058de08172611df994dab14396c2f4dbcdaa45f.jpg   2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?-s5_side_outside_5feee84437c46ca92c304b89603862b5dd798507-1-.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 11-25-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 06:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As to being on ones 4th Audi since 2009, I'm on my third Lexus since 2009...no reflection on Lexus reliability I just don't keep cars very long.
I'm going through the 12-step process. The 1st step is to keep a car for 2 years or longer. :-)
Old 11-25-16, 06:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Sorry for so many posts, but thanks for all the "Audi love", everyone! The ownership experience really has changed over the years.

I owned a '99 SC300 Coupe and it didn't have all the latest technology and convenience of some of the newer cars. There was nothing out there that I really liked, so I went to an Audi dealership and drove various models. I ended up with an '01 A6 4.2 (V8). It was a strong, substantial car, but there were little issues like squeaky brakes, a "miles to empty" readout that would change so quickly I thought the car was leaking gas. I got a nail in a tire, and Audi had to order one from Germany.

The service was terrible. For all my issues the dealership gave me a complete detailing on the car. When I picked it up the car was washed and waxed, but the wheels were filthy. They lost the keys to my car when I was ready to pick it up. The "loaner" I got was the service guy's car, and he asked me to bring it back with a full tank. The A6 was a $53k car (probably $80k in today's money), and I was getting the service of a $20k car. I kept it for 8 months before trading for another Lexus.

I gave Audi another try in 2009 because the A5/S5 was such a good-looking car. I have not had any similar experiences. Although still not up to Lexus service levels, they have gotten their act together. Lexus set the benchmark for all other luxury automakers in terms of service, no doubt.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-25-16 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 06:48 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Since you have already had the LX I say get the Q7, the new body style is really nice and much better then the old one IMO. If it wasn't for my wife and the crappy Audi lease terms this past summer I would be in a S3 instead of an IS350. Try something new.
Old 11-25-16, 07:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Although still not up to Lexus service levels, they have gotten their act together. Lexus set the benchmark for all other luxury automakers in terms of service, no doubt.
What does that even mean, what makes Audi service not up to Lexus standards? The one thing I find is Lexus is pretty good at is goodwilling things once in a while if you service your car or buy the car at the dealership you service it at. Other than that I find that when I take my Nissan or Toyota in for service it is the same treatment as my Lexus dealer except the Nissan and Toyota actually have free donuts and drinks, not at my Lexus dealer anymore. One thing I will say is that with Lexus they are pretty good at taking care of little things like my wife just curbed a wheel in our 3 month old IS and I called my salesman and asked for a freebee he is going to have it fixed for free. As far as service though, I've had just as good service at lower tier dealerships.
Old 11-25-16, 08:01 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I guess you're looking for something newer, but not too expensive? A Q7 is no LX but as you say, the LX is very long in the tooth. Q7 is very nice though. If you wanted a comparable tank feel, but with newer tech, get a GLS.
I believe Q7 is newer generation first year vehicle. Also comparing an apple vs. orange. This Q7 has no track record yet.
Old 11-25-16, 08:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
What does that even mean, what makes Audi service not up to Lexus standards? The one thing I find is Lexus is pretty good at is goodwilling things once in a while if you service your car or buy the car at the dealership you service it at. Other than that I find that when I take my Nissan or Toyota in for service it is the same treatment as my Lexus dealer except the Nissan and Toyota actually have free donuts and drinks, not at my Lexus dealer anymore. One thing I will say is that with Lexus they are pretty good at taking care of little things like my wife just curbed a wheel in our 3 month old IS and I called my salesman and asked for a freebee he is going to have it fixed for free. As far as service though, I've had just as good service at lower tier dealerships.
If you have to ask me, you are going to the wrong Lexus dealership. I'm talking about someone greeting you and taking you immediately to a service advisor rather than asking you to sit in a waiting room and wait for the service advisor to come get you. Little things like that. Sewell Lexus in Dallas is outstanding.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-25-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 01:24 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Lexus dealship here, is the only dealership that offers free starbucks coffee (bottle) and energy drinks. I haven't seen any other ones here that offer anything more than water, hot coffee and popcorn lol.
Old 11-26-16, 01:36 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with its recent well-done refresh the LX is still a dinosaur. The Q7, on the other hand, is one of the most advanced and well-engineered vehicles on the planet today. And while I have been critical of its underwhelming styling, it still looks perfectly nice with the right options (e.g. black paint with the larger sport wheels). There's no doubt it's the better vehicle of the two.
Old 11-26-16, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
There's no doubt it's the better vehicle of the two.
Nope. don't agree. Both are two completely different set ups. LX is a very good vehicle for what it is. Will likely last longer, have better resale. And it can do a lot of things the Q7 can't. That is not to say the Q7 is not good, just different and more up to date and modern.
Old 11-26-16, 08:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Nope. don't agree. Both are two completely different set ups. LX is a very good vehicle for what it is. Will likely last longer, have better resale. And it can do a lot of things the Q7 can't. That is not to say the Q7 is not good, just different and more up to date and modern.
exactly. the two vehicles are built for two very different purposes, even if the LX never lives up to its full potential, its off-road capabilities are far greater than the Q7's. the Q7 is a very fine machine, although it's built with a different purpose in mind.
Old 11-26-16, 09:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
exactly. the two vehicles are built for two very different purposes, even if the LX never lives up to its full potential, its off-road capabilities are far greater than the Q7's. the Q7 is a very fine machine, although it's built with a different purpose in mind.
And I would argue for a different buyer in mind. I do know that Toyota/Lexus body on frame buyers are very loyal and are a little different and Toyota is proud of these buyers. LX buyers usually hang on to their SUVs far longer than other buyers from other brands.

The Q7 in size, and price is really for the GX470 type of buyer.

I still say the OP should go for a Land Cruiser.
Old 11-26-16, 12:00 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

And I would argue for a different buyer in mind. I do know that Toyota/Lexus body on frame buyers are very loyal and are a little different and Toyota is proud of these buyers. LX buyers usually hang on to their SUVs far longer than other buyers from other brands.

The Q7 in size, and price is really for the GX470 type of buyer.

I still say the OP should go for a Land Cruiser.
the land cruiser is a decent choice, but what if the OP wants something with a bit more panache? lexus and audi pop back into the picture.
Old 11-26-16, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
the land cruiser is a decent choice, but what if the OP wants something with a bit more panache? lexus and audi pop back into the picture.
OP already has an LX.

Quick Reply: 2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?