Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Kia dealer service experience...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts
Default First Kia dealer service experience...

I know many here are interested in my foray into Kia/Hyundai ownership, so wanted to keep folks updated.

Our Kia Sedona van just rolled over 15,000 miles since its lease in April of 2015. So, the oil has been changed and the tires rotated once at 7,500 miles, that was done at a quick lube place I've used before. The Sedona obviously is our family vehicle so being wihout it for service is hard on my wife.

Anyways, the 15,000 mile service consists of an oil change and tire rotation, cabin and engine air filters and a multi-point inspection. Pretty common. Plus I'm having a couple minor issues, the front brakes grind and I have a fault in the rear backup sensors, when the van is put in reverse I get a warning instead of backup sensor function.

Put it in this morning to the dealer that I purchased it from (was extremely happy with the purchase process) and picked it up a couple hours ago. Wasn't thrilled.

1. Cost. For the service I mentioned above I was charged $291. Thats similar to what that service would have cost at Lexus! Of course, no loaner, no other luxury car dealer perks. Not a synthetic oil change either like it is at Lexus. This service from a mainstream dealer should have been $150-160 and thats what I've paid here from Ford, Toyota, Jeep, etc.

2. Crummy service. Everyone was very friendly, dealership is nice (renovated since I bought the van), but nobody called me when they said they would to let me know any diagnostic result, nobody called me to tell me it was done like they said they would. They had to order the sensor (expected that), and they insist nothing is wrong with the brakes...which means they obviously didn't drive it over 40 MPH because the grinding and pulling is quite obvious. I had to call 4-5 times just to get somebody on the phone to have any sort of update on the car.

Wouldn't have been as frustrated with the quality of service if the cost wasn't as high as it was. I submitted to the cost to save time and have the issues addressed prior to leaving for our Thanksgiving travels, now I've been fleeced on service cost and the car is in the same state for our trip it would have been had I taken it to the quick lube LOL.

Doesn't really reflect on Kia, still satisfied with the van and have had similar dealer issues with other brands, Lexus included but will definitely be taking my business elsewhere for the dealer.
Old 11-21-16, 05:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Do you know if you'll get a satisfaction survey from the dealership? It would be an opportunity to let them know about your experience.
Old 11-21-16, 05:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I never seem to get one when I'm disgruntled LOL
Old 11-21-16, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Do the brakes continually grind and pull, or only if/when they are wet? After a long wash job, rainstorm, heavy dew, or other moisture build-up, it's generally normal, with disc brakes and slotted wheels for the rotors to get a light film of rust/oxide on them (sometimes you can actually see the brownish film). The first few applications of the brake pedal will cause some audible grinding (and maybe pulling) as the pads wear off the rust layer, but that should stop after a couple of applications, and the pedal go back to normal. If it does not, then, yes, the brakes need to be looked at. (assuming that the pad-wear isn't down to the screechers, and the screechers simply aren't working...if that is the case, then the rotors are being scored, and will probably need to be replaced).

If you aren't satisfied with your local Kia dealer service there in MD, try Don Beyer Kia/Volvo in Falls Church. It's just a couple of blocks off the Beltway, on Rt.7 East....but it's a small dealership, in a dense-traffic area, and somewhat crowded and cramped to get in and out of. My brother (with my help) bought both his 2010 Soul and 2015 Sportage there, and just loves the place...they treated him like a king (quite reasonably) on both sales and service, though the older guy in the service department who did some of the nicest customer perks has since passed away. Perhaps the fact that the dealership's owner (Don Beyer) was formerly the State's Lieutenant Governor, and currently represents that District in Congress, gives him a need to uphold a good reputation. He also has another Kia shop in Alexandria on Rt. 1, but I don't know much about that shop, and can't speak for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-16 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think I can tell the difference between normal brake sounds and feel and abnormal brake sounds and feel

The rotors are clearly glazed. There is no pulsation but they noticeably grind when applied at highway speed, gets worse when they're hot too. Rotors just need to be resurfaced...

There are a couple other dealers up here, I'd prefer not to have to go to VA...
Old 11-21-16, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think I can tell the difference between normal brake sounds and feel and abnormal brake sounds and feel
Fine. I know you are an experienced car guy, but you'd be surprised how many times I get that question on wet/rusted brakes and grinding...even from people who have been driving for years.

The rotors are clearly glazed. There is no pulsation but they noticeably grind when applied at highway speed, gets worse when they're hot too. Rotors just need to be resurfaced...
That shouldn't be a problem, as long as the rotor-thickness/wear, for a resurfacing, on the lathe, is still within factory specs. If not, then, for safety reasons, it's new rotors. Kia is usually pretty good about covering things under warranty, even, in some cases, with brakes.....but pad and/or rotor-wear may be exceptions, unless it's WAY early.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's been going on a long time, just haven't been able to get it into the dealer. Probably hosed for warranty coverage at this point.
Old 11-21-16, 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

$291? Not sure how...

the 15,000 mile service consists of an oil change and tire rotation, cabin and engine air filters and a multi-point inspection.
Dealer oil change $40?
dealer tire rotation? $50?
filters $40? Plus 'labor' (all 5 minutes of it lol)... $30?
so i'm at $160
the 'diagnostic' and test drive on the problems you report... maybe $75
so that's $235
10% tax and fees where you live lol ~$25
total, hmm... not far off $260

Glad my jeep came with 2 year scheduled maintenance included.
Old 11-21-16, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
$291? Not sure how...

Dealer oil change $40?
so i'm at $160
so that's $235
Steve and I are in the relatively high-cost D.C. area. Although vehicle list-prices usually don't change with location, service prices often do. Prices for a lot of things here, in this area, are probably going to be higher than what you are used to seeing in FL.

Always nice to have free maintenance...but, on most modern vehicles, not much is usually done in the first two years outside of oil changes, tire-rotations, and a few underbody inspections. Once you hit 30,000 miles (which is at least two years or later for most people), then that's where the bigger and more expensive service starts.
Old 11-21-16, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's been going on a long time, just haven't been able to get it into the dealer. Probably hosed for warranty coverage at this point.
You don't think that brush-fire in the lower-front-end could have glazed or damaged the rotors, do you? Probably not, but just a thought. If so, that would be an insurance matter....though it would be hard to get a settlement this late.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 07:26 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my oil change at the dealer for $75 with 15% coupon around 6000 miles. Strange now I'm at 10k miles and the dealer start calling me to inform me I'm pass due for the service?
After the first service they stick a reminder on the windshield, which wrote 'next service at 10k miles or 6 month', I thought the second service would be at 15000 so why do I have to go in so early?
Old 11-21-16, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
$291? Not sure how...Dealer oil change $40?
so i'm at $160
so that's $235

Nailed it! Lol

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't think that brush-fire in the lower-front-end could have glazed or damaged the rotors, do you? Probably not, but just a thought. If so, that would be an insurance matter....though it would be hard to get a settlement this late.
Shh! We don't tell the dealer the van has been on fire and in a flash flood lol
Old 11-21-16, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I did my oil change at the dealer for $75 with 15% coupon around 6000 miles. Strange now I'm at 10k miles and the dealer start calling me to inform me I'm pass due for the service?
After the first service they stick a reminder on the windshield, which wrote 'next service at 10k miles or 6 month', I thought the second service would be at 15000 so why do I have to go in so early?
Should be every 7,500 miles...
Old 11-21-16, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nailed it! Lol

Shh! We don't tell the dealer the van has been on fire and in a flash flood lol
The dealer's body-shop itself didn't replace the fire-damaged parts? ....I thought they did. OK, anyhow, I won't bring it up again if you want to keep that quiet.
Old 11-21-16, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The dealer's body-shop itself didn't replace the fire-damaged parts? ....I thought they did. OK, anyhow, I won't bring it up again if you want to keep that quiet.
No, I have an independent bodyshop that I've used for years, they handled all the repairs.

I actually did think about that about the brakes, but you'd think rubber stuff would be melted if there was enough heat to cause any damage to brake components.

Quick Reply: First Kia dealer service experience...