Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I just need your guys opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 12:09 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just need your guys opinion.

Hey I'm really torn on what to do. I currently drive a 2012 toyota camry se sport edition with only 38k miles. I'm looking to upgrade but not sure what to do. I've narrowed it down to an IS 350 F sport AWD or an RCF. I like my camry a lot but if I were to get the IS 350 I would sell the camry. If i got the RCF i would keep the camry and have that as my summer car. I guess what I'm saying is should I upgrade my camry or just save up and buy the RCF? I live in Minnesota by the way so I would not drive my RCF in the winter but would drive the IS 350
Old 11-21-16, 01:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would get the RCF if you can afford to keep two car. Also, I would not even bother with an RCF and just get a regular RC.
Old 11-21-16, 01:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Oh no, you definitely want the V8 RC-F. If its going to be a toy car that you don't drive all the time, you want the special one, the fast one, the one that makes all the cool noises.

Also a brand new Corvette Grand Sport is a hell of a lot more car than the RC-F, both are priced similarly. RC-F is better in terms of comfort and has a back seat, but for a toy car both of those are low on my priority list.
Old 11-21-16, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

First, is the Camry paid off? Part of what it's going to cost to upgrade will obviously hinge on whether or not you still owe money on it. If you do go the IS350 AWD route (and there's some merit to that approach), and you are going to be driving through Minnesota winters, you might (?) have to get dedicated winter rubber (snow tires), even with AWD. The kind of tires that often come with the F-Sport packages simply don't take to slippery surfaces very well.

Also, for a Minnesota winter, consider an engine-block-heater if you have access to nearby plug-in outlet. It will greatly help on bitter-cold overnight/morning starts and wear/tear on a cold engine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-16 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 06:26 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know going the is 350 route would be a lot more inexpensive, but i'm seeing if getting the rcf and waiting would be worth it. I still owe like 8 grand on the car but I know i would have positive equity in it if i did trade it/ sell it. I like my camry now but more power, plus awd, and a nicer looking car (imo) is very appealing.
Old 11-21-16, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SwitchUps
Thanks everyone for the replies. I know going the is 350 route would be a lot more inexpensive, but i'm seeing if getting the rcf and waiting would be worth it. I still owe like 8 grand on the car but I know i would have positive equity in it if i did trade it/ sell it. I like my camry now but more power, plus awd, and a nicer looking car (imo) is very appealing.
So you own 8K on a four year old car? But you want a new more expensive F car that is three times the cost. You are making a very bad decision. You should pay off your Camry and drive it to 2022.
Old 11-21-16, 06:38 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Haha yeah I know. ^ It's just I like cars and I know this car would be very reliable and last me forever. Part of me just wants a better car.
Old 11-21-16, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So you own 8K on a four year old car? But you want a new more expensive F car that is three times the cost. You are making a very bad decision. You should pay off your Camry and drive it to 2022.
We don't know all of his (or her) budget-restrictions, Jill. Maybe (?) he or she has gotten a new (or better) job, or better economic circumstances where they can afford a newer or better car. I myself wouldn't spend a lot of money on an F or F-Sport, but everyone has different tastes.

SwitchUps..........Jill does have a good point, though, about one thing. If you like your Camry, if it's running well, and don't have any problems driving it through a cold Minnesota winter, keeping it and paying it off would probably be a good idea. The money that would (now) go for an expensive new F could be maybe put to better use later.
Old 11-21-16, 06:49 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. ^ Part of me knows that's the right thing to do and the smartest thing to do. Thank you for everyone's input.
Old 11-21-16, 07:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the Camry as daily, get a toy that you want

life is too short to be logical if you can swing it!
Old 11-21-16, 08:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Kbb trade in excellent condition 12 camry se with 39k in minnesota is 10.6-11.9k
so if you owe 8k let's say best case you have $4k equity.
an rc350 f sport awd or rcf is what, $50-$65k?
so assuming you only have the equity, you're looking at borrowing min 46k
4yrs, 3%, gee the payment will only be $1000/mo. minimum.
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/..._calculate_btn
can you swing that at minimum?
Old 11-22-16, 07:09 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

If anything i would buy a used one ^. I've seen some for around the 30k - 33k range where I live. But after much thinking. I think im going to wait and maybe in the spring time I will buy the RCF.
Old 11-22-16, 11:12 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Cheapest RCF I've seen is around $49k
Old 11-22-16, 12:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Originally Posted by SwitchUps
Haha yeah I know. ^ It's just I like cars and I know this car would be very reliable and last me forever. Part of me just wants a better car.
Jill--it's just another example of people doing what they want to do, but trying to rationalize it. You see it in owner forums every day.

SwitchUp--if you want to do it, then just do it. Why go thru the exercise of asking for advice, just to do what you were going to do anyway? It's your money, and your decision you have to live with. Honestly, if you "love" your Camry, why not just trade up for a new Camry?
Old 11-22-16, 12:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We don't know all of his (or her) budget-restrictions, Jill. Maybe (?) he or she has gotten a new (or better) job, or better economic circumstances where they can afford a newer or better car. I myself wouldn't spend a lot of money on an F or F-Sport, but everyone has different tastes.

SwitchUps..........Jill does have a good point, though, about one thing. If you like your Camry, if it's running well, and don't have any problems driving it through a cold Minnesota winter, keeping it and paying it off would probably be a good idea. The money that would (now) go for an expensive new F could be maybe put to better use later.
OP would not have brought up the financial aspect of the transaction if it wasn't relevant.

Quick Reply: I just need your guys opinion.