Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Leased car to auction to avoid being two owner car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 06:21 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leased car to auction to avoid being two owner car?

I read that a leased car that goes to auction rather than being sold by Lexus could mean that it's not a good car (is this true?)

I asked a dealer why Lexus didn't sell the car themselves and he said "Most of the cars that come as a lease return are sent to the auction. It saves it from being a two owner vehicle." What does he mean by that?
Old 11-19-16, 11:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's not the whole truth. Yes, many leased cars to go auction. That doesn't mean it's not a good car. Most of these go to closed auctions, so for Lexus, the lease returns go to an auction only open to other franchised Lexus dealers. The dealer that receives the turned in lease I believe has the "first right of refusal" to take the car in and sell it, likely as CPO. But they might not like the negotiation between themselves and Lexus Financial as to the lease ending residual vs true market value, in which case they're happy to let Lexus Financial pick up the car and take their chances at the auctions.
Old 11-19-16, 11:54 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leading forwards to that question, I was told that off-lease cars that Lexus doesn't sell afterwards as CPO are inferior in someway hence why you'll see a non-Lexus dealer selling an off-lease, is this true?
Old 11-19-16, 12:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
I read that a leased car that goes to auction rather than being sold by Lexus could mean that it's not a good car (is this true?)

I asked a dealer why Lexus didn't sell the car themselves and he said "Most of the cars that come as a lease return are sent to the auction. It saves it from being a two owner vehicle." What does he mean by that?
The bottom line is that there are costs associated with the dealer buying back the car from Lexus Financial, prepping it, putting it out on the lot, and trying to sell it. Depending on the car, those costs, plus carrying costs if the car doesn't sell quickly, may make it more economical, or at least a wash, for them just to sell it to the auction company. It doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with the car.
Old 11-19-16, 12:30 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73

if the car is in poor condition and needs alot of capital to make it into a CPO then it will just be auctioned off. Such as needing new tires, brakes, rough exterior/interior, too high miles, accidents... so yes, most off lease cars not CPO are usually inferior. Heck i even seen some CPO in rough conditions
Old 11-19-16, 11:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The bottom line is that there are costs associated with the dealer buying back the car from Lexus Financial, prepping it, putting it out on the lot, and trying to sell it. Depending on the car, those costs, plus carrying costs if the car doesn't sell quickly, may make it more economical, or at least a wash, for them just to sell it to the auction company. It doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with the car.
Sometimes it also has to do with what a dealer has in their pre-owned lot already. If they have 8 different CPO RX350's, 3 of them silver, you trade in your silver 2015 RX, even if its mint, either your RX or one of the other 3 silver ones they're sitting on are going to auction.