Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's hydrogen fuel cell Mirai isn't good enough to be a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota's hydrogen fuel cell Mirai isn't good enough to be a Lexus

Lexus exec implies that it'd take an SUV to fit desired fuel-cell powertrain.

It looks like the first hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle from Lexus will be faster than previously advertised, but it will get to the market slower than expected. It's all part of the paradox involved with Toyota looking to broaden its fuel-cell technology beyond the Mirai. Either way, the first Lexus fuel-cell vehicle is slated to start sales by the end of the decade, said Auto Express, citing comments from Alain Uyttenhoven, head of Lexus Europe.

Uyttenhoven noted that it'd take an SUV to provide enough space to accommodate the packaging for the Lexus fuel cell powertrain. That comment may imply that the hydrogen-fueled powertrain from Lexus will offer similar performance to that of the Lexus RX450h hybrid SUV. That model delivers 300 horsepower and boasts a 0 to 60 mile-per-hour time of about seven seconds.

Such a mill would be a departure from what we'd previously reported on Toyota's plans to expand its fuel-cell technology to its Lexus luxury badge. With Toyota believed to be planning to unveil as many as three fuel-cell models in time for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, the Japanese automaker said early last year that it may have a Lexus fuel-cell vehicle available as soon as 2017, while reports suggesting the model would be a Lexus LS-based sedan.

Additionally, the Mirai's fuel-cell powertrain had been believed to be the platform for the proposed Lexus fuel cell from the moment that model started sales in California last year. Apparently, though, the Mirai's 152-horsepower powertrain, coupled with a full-tank range that would be about 20 percent less than the 300-mile Mirai, isn't up to snuff for Lexus duty.
Source
Old 11-17-16, 11:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It is really sad what has happened to Autoblog, it used to be the best site for info. Pretty useless article.

As for Toyota's hydrogen plan, I want to say it is going to work, but I think overall it is going to be an EPIC fail.
Old 11-18-16, 08:50 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 293 Posts

I actually have a Mirai, I got it mainly for one reason (the HOV lane access) but I have to say the car has actually greatly exceeded my expectations. It's proven to be a phenomenal commuter car and I really love it. It's a Lexus-lite in many respects with a more than serviceable interior, awesome seats and a very quiet and comfortable ride. The core fuel cell technology is pretty much bleeding edge and the car's in-car tech is pretty robust. It also has a very good stock audio system.

I agree the big issue is hydrogen infrastructure, but I'm in the fortunate position of having a gas station with a hydrogen pump literally a block or two from my office plus I have two close to home. Toyota and others are working on expanding the network and hopefully in time it will get better. It takes between 3 to 5 minutes to fill up and range has been solid at around 300 miles with a full tank.

The autoblog article is really saying that a Lexus version needs a more powerful motor, which isn't surprising as the Mirai certainly isn't Tesla-quick. It is, however, easily quick enough in use and I've never felt it lacked power. It's soft in eco mode, drives as you would expect in normal mode, and there's a noticeable increase in grunt in power mode.

The big thing with this car, though, is the deal. Right now it's excellent. There are a lot of benefits:
  • HOV lane access with white stickers here in California
  • Free fuel for three years (Toyota actually gives you a credit card which you use at the hydrogen station for each fill-up)
  • Free maintenance for three years
  • One week per year free Toyota rental (which is 7 days total rental as and when you want it) in case you need to go on a longer trip where there's no infrastructure
  • $5000 rebate from the State in California, which unlike pure EVs isn't subject to an income cap - mine is already approved.
  • Federal tax credit if you buy it
  • $6000 in incentive money from Toyota if you lease it
All that right now means you can get one for a lease of about 350 plus tax for a 58K MSRP car which is hand built in Japan. That's come down from 499 last year.

I will say the car's styling isn't the best although it does grow on you and it look better in person than it does in pics. It's also been a great conversation piece. Not many people have seen a fuel cell car and it's amazing how often they ask you about it.

For now, though, it's a really, really good car and I have to say I love it.
Old 11-18-16, 12:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They're basically saying we can't put the Prius engine into a Lexus again (looking at you CT). Swajames is correct in that a Lexus fuel cell vehicle needs to be more powerful than the one in the Mirai. The LS FC should be interesting, though an RX FC might be more practical.
Old 11-19-16, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

swajames, thanks for the personal review!!! and congrats... you're a pioneer