Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Front end collision clean title is it fixable?.

Old 11-16-16, 04:53 AM
Mdozard32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end collision clean title is it fixable?.

After 4 years of having my amazing dream car my girlfriend tried to avoid a driver and hit a pole. Insurance denied the claim due to no one having catch the other guys license plate.. here are some pics. The entire radiator assembly needs replacement. The engine block is not damaged. But the impact absobers are pretty bad... Anyone know around how much to fix it?.. I found d all the parts I need for about 2,000 but as you see the 2nd pic part of the impact absorber frame is bent..

I think this is the most substantial damage.
Old 11-16-16, 07:44 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did the air bags go off? That seems like a whole lot of parts for $2000.
Old 11-16-16, 07:46 AM
Mdozard32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Patrick4GS
Did the air bags go off? That seems like a whole lot of parts for $2000.
air bags did not deployed. Also keep in mind this is junkyard price not new.
Old 11-16-16, 07:48 AM
Mdozard32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
I wouldn't even think of repairing it, but that's just my nerves after seeing way too many plunge ahead with $$$ only to discover:
1. it always costs more than the estimate
2. the sale value is bad if you tell the truth
3. the car will not track straight
4. there are noises that can't be found
5. the alignment is beyond correction and will eat the tires
6. you can't be sure the engine didn't take any stress unless you run it
how will the wheel alignment be affect?. The underframe is not bent. I just want to get some knowledge. I love this car and would love to fix it but than again.. i can't afford to spend more than 3k..
Old 11-16-16, 08:22 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdozard32
how will the wheel alignment be affect?. The underframe is not bent. I just want to get some knowledge. I love this car and would love to fix it but than again.. i can't afford to spend more than 3k..
how do you know the subframe is not bent? have you measured components from one side to the other? looking at your shock towers, looks like everything has shifted over a bit. not to mention there could be damage to the steering rack and pinion

if you don't want to spend more than 3k, i would not even go forward with this.
Old 11-16-16, 08:32 AM
Mdozard32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
how do you know the subframe is not bent? have you measured components from one side to the other? looking at your shock towers, looks like everything has shifted over a bit. not to mention there could be damage to the steering rack and pinion

if you don't want to spend more than 3k, i would not even go forward with this.
they lifted the car and inspected, the actual engine was not touch By the impact, it came very close, the actual fan hit the belt. but idk about the struts they don't look affected in perdon. Also no warping in the inner fenders line, in which they said is a a sign that there is no serious bends when the hood is close the sides line up with the fenders. And they also measure wheel clearance and it's even all around..
Old 11-16-16, 08:34 AM
Mdozard32
Driver School Candidate

This car means alot to me. Because im young and this was my first dream car in which I spent countless nights and weeks working overtime to buy it. And its really special to me.. but Im not a good financial situation as I was before.
Old 11-16-16, 09:12 AM
Mdozard32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Did they deny the claim due to your girlfriend driving? As simply not catching the at-fault party would be no reason to deny the claim entirely.

I find it surprising (and frankly a little concerning) that the air bags did not deploy.

Damage looks severe. Hard to accurately assess complete damage from pictures alone, but based on car being 2006, and without knowing mileage, I would simply crunch the numbers, how much to repair vs how much to replace. This does not consider your stated attachment to the car nor once the car is fixed, you're driving at very repaired vehicle, which increases the chances other things may go wrong, and it may turn into a money pit.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
thry denied it because they said in NJ they are required to find the at fault driver.
Old 11-16-16, 10:06 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

thry denied it because they said in NJ they are required to find the at fault driver.
Sounds like you're saying you don't have full coverage.
Old 11-16-16, 10:14 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

you can buy these cars for 4-6k now. trust me, living with the fact that your car will never be the same, its a bad feeling. cut it as a loss. you say you aren't financially ready but want to tackle this. its just not worth it.
Old 11-16-16, 10:54 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with others, no point of geting this fixed. The repairs would probably exceed or be close to the value of the car.
You found the parts that already add up to $2,000. But once the shop starts working on it, other things will show up and you'll end up paying for those as well. Not to mention the labor costs and the paint job.

I would just sell it to some junk yard, add whatever you were planning to spend on fixing it and buy yourself the same car.
Old 11-16-16, 02:19 PM
GhostCar
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take the advice of the others here, find a way to get over your attachment and don't waste the time, effort, and esp money (LOTS of money) needed to get it back to square 1. Part out the thing and put that money toward your new ride.
Old 11-19-16, 08:08 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

In order to be sure, the car has to be laser measured on a frame/unibody alignment machine. I have been a technician for many years. On an impact like this, 98% of the time, there is movement not visible with the naked eye, even on a lift. If the unibody is out of line, even a few microns, you wont be able to see it, but it can cause pulling while driving, suspension wear, uneven tire wear, cv axle wear, mechanical issues, etc, and it can be VERY expensive to repair. If you aren't financially in as good a spot as you were, but still want to repair it, set it to the side and get a used civic or something reliable to drive while you save up for another IS. Use this one as a parts car, or sell it for parts on ebay. Someone who owns a body shop will buy it for a couple grand I would imagine, especially with a running engine and a clean title.
Old 11-19-16, 12:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After 4 years of having my amazing dream car my girlfriend tried to avoid a driver and hit a pole. Insurance denied the claim due to no one having catch the other guys license plate.. here are some pics. The entire radiator assembly needs replacement. The engine block is not damaged. But the impact absobers are pretty bad... Anyone know around how much to fix it?.. I found d all the parts I need for about 2,000 but as you see the 2nd pic part of the impact absorber frame is bent..

I think this is the most substantial damage.
Insurance companies don't deny claims because you don't have a license plate of another car you avoided--what are we missing here?

So what? Insurance companies still pay claims if you are at fault--that's the whole point of insurance. If the other driver was at fault, that driver's insurance company would ultimately pay. Something doesn't add up here.
Old 11-19-16, 12:39 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Insurance companies don't deny claims because you don't have a license plate of another car you avoided--what are we missing here?

So what? Insurance companies still pay claims if you are at fault--that's the whole point of insurance. If the other driver was at fault, that driver's insurance company would ultimately pay. Something doesn't add up here.
He doesnt have full insurance. End of story.

I dont get why people cheap out on insurance. With minimal insurance if you kill or severely injure someone, the insurance lawyers will sue you and your net worth until you are bankrupt.
In his case, he would have a new car or have it fixed only if he paid 50$ more monthly. Sad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end collision clean title is it fixable?.