Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts for an SUV for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 05:47 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Thoughts for an SUV for the wife

My wife has a 14 Pilot Touring 4WD that she loves and I...dislike.

Anyway we are in the midst of considering a roomy 2nd row SUV, with the requirements:
- 4WD/AWD (family is in WV, fun winters and hilly terrain)
- leather
- plush comfortable ride
- middle row needs to be able to seat 3 kids (4yo in car seat, 9 yo and lanky tall 11 yo) with 2nd row legroom of high importance

I'd like something of high reliability, so we started today at a Highlander (maybe), Sequoia (way too big), Landcruiser (she loves, but $79 ugh), RAV4. We also tried the Rx350 (too small), GX (rides rough), LX (she loves but $92k ugh).

may explore the Acura MDX, maybe the new Mazda CX? Any other thoughts?
Old 11-03-16, 05:57 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

something from audi?
Old 11-03-16, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Might want to take a look at the Buick Envision or the larger Encore. The Envision is Chinese-built and is basically brand-new in this country, without a previous reliability record, so you'd be rolling the dice some, but Buicks, in general, rate pretty high in the reliability apartment. They also give you the same warranty-lengths that Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti do.

I recently sampled an Envision, and found no real problems with it except for a rather odd smell instead of the usual new-car smell inside.
Old 11-03-16, 06:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

what about a new pilot?
Old 11-03-16, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what about a new pilot?
He specifically stated, in the opening post, that he disliked the last Pilot they had, although you have a point that the redesign for 2016/2017 might (?) be a little more to his liking. Probably wouldn't hurt to look.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-03-16 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 06:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

Anyway we are in the midst of considering a roomy 2nd row SUV, with the requirements:
- leather
- plush comfortable ride
- middle row needs to be able to seat 3 kids (4yo in car seat, 9 yo and lanky tall 11 yo) with 2nd row legroom of high importance

I'd like something of high reliability, so we started today at a Highlander (maybe), Sequoia (way too big), Landcruiser (she loves, but $79 ugh), RAV4. We also tried the Rx350 (too small), GX (rides rough), LX (she loves but $92k ugh).

If you found the RX 350 too small, you will find both the RAV4 and the NX to be too small. Both the RAV4 and the NX have a very narrow rear seat (much narrower than the RX) that you will likely find too small, especially if one of your children is still in a car seat and one is tall and wants to stretch out; your middle child will feel squeezed in.
Old 11-03-16, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
If you found the RX 350 too small, you will find both the RAV4 and the NX to be too small. Both the RAV4 and the NX have a very narrow rear seat (much narrower than the RX) that you will likely find too small, especially if one of your children is still in a car seat and one is tall and wants to stretch out; your middle child will feel squeezed in.
Not only that, but I don't think he would like the NX's road-manners. I found it rather unrefined, especially by Lexus standards.
Old 11-03-16, 06:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Don't have much to offer other than to state that we absolutely love our Highlander. Ours has second row buckets but you can get a bench.
Old 11-03-16, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

- leather
- plush comfortable ride

Where in WV is your family? I'm from Fayetteville.

What price point? If I were you I would take a hard look at a new Audi Q7. If thats too much money, I'd give the new CX-9 a good look. Infiniti QX60 is also a solid vehicle with a great seating setup, but I don't like the CVT powertrain.

I *really* liked the Q7, as in liked it enough to consider getting one to drive myself.
Old 11-03-16, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What about a Lexus LX or a range rover?
Old 11-03-16, 07:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If he's willing to pay $100,000...
Old 11-03-16, 08:04 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion all; budget indicatively is in the $50s. Found a few 2013 L Certified LX's that fit in this price range, have not tried the Q7 (while I'll research, what kind of reliability?). Really this would ideally be a vehicle that we'd keep up to 150k miles, which rules out a couple of vehicles (i.e. Range Rover...Doug Demuro!)
Wife tried the new Pilot and was "meh" so we're moving past that.
I considered a Buick Enclave but they don't age well...I can see 5-6 years down the road hating it (drove a CPO 2012 Enclave and a friend owns a 2010 Traverse LTZ, they rattled and rode horrible).
Rav4/RX/NT are all too small.
Old 11-03-16, 08:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Jeep Grand Cherokee would be a great choice, although I really think you should look at something with 3 rows of seats. Your family is growing, if one of your kids wants to take his buddy along, you're out of seats in a 2 row SUV. Plus your middle child can go in the 3rd seat and not be constantly smooshed in the middle and bickering with your older kid.

I'm also going to throw it out there, minivan!!!!
Old 11-03-16, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

CR's projected reliability for the Q7 is as high as the scale goes. Audi has really been doing well as far as reliability goes, I know quite a few people with late model examples and all are very satisfied.

Hard to beat an LX for reliability though. I actually vastly prefer the way the Q7 drives though.

Loved our Grand Cherokees, but 150k miles? I'd still be dubious,.
Old 11-03-16, 08:57 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised the RX is too small for y'all, seems like a pretty decent size to me. Was gonna recommend the Q5 but I guess not.

MDX is a pretty solid option. Maybe the new XC90 too? XC60 is an option but it's pretty dated.

Quick Reply: Thoughts for an SUV for the wife