Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Tops Consumer Reports Annual Survey, Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 02:29 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Where did they make the Scion cars??? All the reliable Toyota products either come from Japan, Georgetown KY, or the truck factory in TX, I have no idea where Toyota made Scions. Also I've always thought the Tc and Xb(especially the 2nd gen) felt kind of cheaply made/flimsy, the quality wasn't as good as other Toyotas IMO.

As for Buick, you got to keep in mind seniors don't drive very much either, easy to find 15-20 year old Buicks with well under 100k miles on them in perfect condition.
That is an excellent point I never thought of. Cars that are driven mildly by older people PLUS driven a lot less will not get the chance to age as quickly, therefor give less problems.
Old 10-28-16, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That is an excellent point I never thought of. Cars that are driven mildly by older people PLUS driven a lot less will not get the chance to age as quickly, therefor give less problems.
I agree with you from purely an automotive stress point of view. But how would that equate to Lincolns and Cadillacs, sharing more or less the same group of aging/sedate drivers as Buick, having much lower reliability ratings? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that Buicks do indeed have better build-quality in some ways, especially the Opel-based ones that don't use as much domestic GM-sourced hardware.
Old 10-28-16, 07:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Not the case for us....We bought a brand new 2005 Scion TC and after 6 years and 75k miles it was like a tank! Not one issue to report and we only changed tires and brakes during our ownership. It was hard to let it go when we traded it in for a used 08 RX350 fully loaded.
I know rattles were a common experience noted on ScionLife, which I used to be active in, but I'm very happy to hear your tC was great for you. It was a fun car and I really enjoyed it, I just got tired of taking it in.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Where did they make the Scion cars??? All the reliable Toyota products either come from Japan, Georgetown KY, or the truck factory in TX, I have no idea where Toyota made Scions. Also I've always thought the Tc and Xb(especially the 2nd gen) felt kind of cheaply made/flimsy, the quality wasn't as good as other Toyotas IMO.
The tC was made in Japan.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 1Gen TC was a pretty nice small coupe, and (as far as I know) reasonably reliable. The 2Gen TC, though not necessarily unreliable, was (IMHO) an El Cheapo, cost-cutting POS. Many of them in stock did not even have stereos (just a blank spot or a hole on the dash) ......on the theory that a lot of TC buyers would customize their own interiors. And, if I owned one, I'd probably have the interior redone, too......I certainly couldn't live with the stock one LOL.
I've never seen a second gen tC without a radio. That is standard equipment on the tC.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You were gentle on it but it was supercharged? The two really don't go hand in hand.
Why not? I wanted it to have more power, so I had the supercharger added. But I didn't flog it, didn't autocross it, had all routine maintenance performed, garaged it, and kept the interior and exterior spotless.
Old 10-28-16, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've never seen a second gen tC without a radio. That is standard equipment on the tC.
When I did my full-review of a tC, a number of them on the lot did not have stereos....just big holes in the dash. The dealership said they ordered them that way because many of the tC's buyers, at the time, did their own customization inside.
Old 10-28-16, 04:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

All Scions were made in Japan. Perhaps the fact that they were built to allow for many dealer-installed options (stereos, superchargers, etc.) and accessories made them less reliable. Anything installed after the car leaves the factory is not going to be as tightly integrated as components that are installed on the assembly line.
Old 10-28-16, 06:04 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
All Scions were made in Japan. Perhaps the fact that they were built to allow for many dealer-installed options (stereos, superchargers, etc.) and accessories made them less reliable. Anything installed after the car leaves the factory is not going to be as tightly integrated as components that are installed on the assembly line.
If made in Japan they should be to a higher standard than many other vehicles