Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 01:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic

Consumer Reports annual Car Reliability Survey is out, and yes, there are some big surprises. First and foremost? The venerable publication no longer recommends the Honda Civic. In fact, aside from the walking-dead CR-Z and limited-release Clarity fuel-cell car, the Civic is the only Honda to miss out on CR's prestigious nod.

At the opposite end there's a surprise as well – Toyota and Lexus remain the most reliable brands on the market, but Buick cracked the top three. That's up from seventh last year, and the first time for an American brand to stand on the Consumer Reports podium. Mazda's entire lineup earned Recommended checks as well.

Consumer Reports dinged the Civic for its "infuriating" touch-screen radio, lack of driver lumbar adjustability, the limited selection of cars on dealer lots fitted with Honda's popular Sensing system, and the company's decision to offer LaneWatch instead of a full-tilt blind-spot monitoring system. Its score? A lowly 58.

The Civic isn't the only surprise drop from CR's Recommended ranks. The Audi A3, Ford F-150, Subaru WRX/STI, and Volkswagen Jetta, GTI, and Passat all lost the Consumer Reports' checkmark. On the flipside, a number of popular vehicles graduated to the Recommended ranks, including the BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, and Cruze, Hyundai Santa Fe, Porsche Macan, and Tesla Model S. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the hilariously recall-prone Ford Escape getting a Recommended check – considering the popularity of Ford's small crossover, this is likely a coup for the brand, as it puts the Escape on a level playing field with the Recommended Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Nissan Rogue.

While Ford is probably happy to see CR promote the Escape, the list wasn't as kind for every brand. For example, of the entire Fiat Chrysler Automobiles catalog, the ancient Chrysler 300 was the only car to score a check – there wasn't a single Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, or Ram on the list. That hurts. FCA isn't alone at the low end, either. GMC, Jaguar Land Rover, Mini, and Mitsubishi don't have a vehicle on CR's list between them, while brands like Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, Nissan, Lincoln, Infiniti, and Cadillac only have a few models each.
Source
Old 10-26-16, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

And yet the Civic is still the compact sedan I would choose over any other, even without a volume ****, the lack of lumbar adjustability, and with LaneWatch. I find it rather curious that they dinged it for how cars on lots are equipped.
Old 10-26-16, 01:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Surprised to see they didn't like the new Civic. Other reviews have been very positive.
Old 10-26-16, 01:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing I'll knock Honda/Acura for is their pre collision system does not stop the vehicle.Just applies the brake a bit.
Old 10-26-16, 03:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Thats shocking to me...my cousin has a new Civic and its a great little car. I don't have an issue with the touchscreen any more than any other touchscreen...
Old 10-26-16, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A vehicle can fall from CR's Recommended List (or fail to make it, even with a competent road-test), if the reliability record is lower than CR's "Average" range. And an all-new design, even with a previously reliable record for that nameplate. has to wait for reliability verification, even if it aces the road and safety-tests. Hondas and Acuras, for some unknown reason, seem to have recently been losing some of their former stellar reliability, even though, IMO, they still come off of the assembly-line put together like Swiss Watches.

The Civic 's reputation DID suffer in 2012 (correctly, IMO) when Honda tried to cost-cut the design with a virtually all-hard plastic El Cheapo interior, and did an even worse job inside than the all-plastic 2009 Subaru Impreza....the Impreza's interior of that vintage at least looked nice, even if it wasn't nice LOL. But Honda quickly realized its mistake, and did an emergency refresh for the interior the very next year (2013).

Steve.....I'll take your word for it that your cousin got a good car (as Civic owners usually do...my brother has owned two new ones in the past)...but, given CR's comments, my curiosity's up. It might be worth an actual look and maybe a test-drive of the new one, though I don't plan to formally write it up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Surprised to see they didn't like the new Civic.
it's all about clicks/ratings and having forums like this talk about their worthless reports.
Old 10-27-16, 09:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Autoblog missed the main reason CR removing its recommended rating ---

-------->>>>>>>> First year reliability of the redesign has been well below average <---------------------
Old 10-27-16, 09:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm losing respect for CR. Not that I'm a Civic (or Honda) fan for that matter, but to not recommend a car for the reasons listed is ridiculous as most of that is subjective.
Old 10-27-16, 10:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Are they serious? Because of being frustrated with the radio, not enough cars on the lot, no lumbar support they are not going to recommend it even though it is getting very good reviews? How can they be taken seriously anymore? Isn't the point of consumer reports really to get an idea of what is a unreliable POS that is going to strand you on the side of the road, will have a bunch of issues, or empty your bank account fixing it and maintaining it and what is reliable, good buy for the price, well built, etc? That is mainly what I want to know but lately they tend to recommend unreliable brands with expensive maintenance as long as it checks off things they like over more reliable cars. Auto journalist whine and complain about too many buttons in cars and when car makers unfortunately listen and now make everything a annoying overly complicated touchscreen they complain more.
Old 10-27-16, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Are they serious? Because of being frustrated with the radio, not enough cars on the lot, no lumbar support they are not going to recommend it even though it is getting very good reviews? How can they be taken seriously anymore? Isn't the point of consumer reports really to get an idea of what is a unreliable POS that is going to strand you on the side of the road, will have a bunch of issues, or empty your bank account fixing it and maintaining it and what is reliable, good buy for the price, well built, etc? That is mainly what I want to know but lately they tend to recommend unreliable brands with expensive maintenance as long as it checks off things they like over more reliable cars. Auto journalist whine and complain about too many buttons in cars and when car makers unfortunately listen and now make everything a annoying overly complicated touchscreen they complain more.
The real problem with today's cars, at least IMHO, is not a question of buttons vs. video so much, but simply too many electronic features going into them in the first place. We have over-complicated and over-automated our vehicles.
Old 10-27-16, 10:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm losing respect for CR. Not that I'm a Civic (or Honda) fan for that matter, but to not recommend a car for the reasons listed is ridiculous as most of that is subjective.
Originally Posted by UDel
I agree with both of you. I lost respect for CR a few years ago. Big waste of time IMO.
Old 10-27-16, 10:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

"First year reliability of the redesign has been well below average.", from the CR link in the Auto Blog article. This probably disqualified the Civic from being Recommended. Reading their overview it sounded like the Road Test was pretty good.
Old 10-27-16, 11:07 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I think the current Civic is so much improvement over the last Gen, which I had for a year as my wife's first practice car.
Old 10-27-16, 11:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My brother in law bought a new Civic last January and uses it for his daily commuter (has a long commute). I think it's a remarkable car and he has really enjoyed it. It's well equipped, comfortable, solid, and gets great gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic