Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes e350 bluetec gas mileage is very impressive.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 11:36 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mercedes e350 bluetec gas mileage is very impressive.

I get 36.6 mpg on my e350 bluetec, pretty amazing.
Old 10-25-16, 03:13 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Umm you only drove 17miles. If you went downhill it might get 100mpg. Thats too short a distance to accurately gauge your mpg.
Old 10-25-16, 03:44 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg3852
Umm you only drove 17miles. If you went downhill it might get 100mpg. Thats too short a distance to accurately gauge your mpg.
I drove on I-5 in Washington state, I got 33 - 34 MPG / tank on average.
Old 10-25-16, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Your reported mileage is about what you can expect from a diesel engine and vehicle that size. Diesels, on the average, get about 40-50% better mileage than comparable gas engines. Of course, we know, however, that VW achieved some of their very high diesel figures with some cheating.
Old 10-26-16, 12:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VB22
My friend from the UK told me they have a S Klasse model that is either a diesel or hybrid, I cant remember on top of my head. But he said they get around 50mpg. I'm not sure why we don't get that model here in the US.
Its probably because that was the 4 cylinder diesel S-class with less than 200hp that does 0-60 in 10 seconds.
Old 10-26-16, 02:02 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Its probably because that was the 4 cylinder diesel S-class with less than 200hp that does 0-60 in 10 seconds.
Do you need more in congested London?
Old 10-26-16, 09:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
Do you need more in congested London?
Do I live in congested London????

Ordering an S-class with a diesel(or the hybrid option) is like ordering Kobe beef well done. Its a freaking $130,000 luxury car, the whole point of the car is excess. Why would you even care about fuel economy if you're spending that much money in the first place???? I mean I know why the 4 cylinder diesel S-class exists, because of draconian taxes in Europe and for limo operators over there as well, but it doesn't make sense in the US where fuel is cheap and we aren't taxed out the a@@ on luxury goods and big displacement engines.
Old 10-27-16, 11:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

A bit better than my chipped (290hp/500lbft) 335d, but I'll chalk that primarily up to mostly city driving in my case, vs. highway in yours. Have seen upper-thirties on full tanks with 90+% highway. Lifetime fuel economy over ~58k miles is in my sig:
Old 10-28-16, 09:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
I drove on I-5 in Washington state, I got 33 - 34 MPG / tank on average.
Honestly, I don't think 33-34 mpg highway from a diesel is "pretty amazing". Disappointing is more like it. I get 32-33 mpg highway in my 328 with a 2.0T.

Last edited by tex2670; 10-28-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-28-16, 09:47 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
Honestly, I don't think 33-34 mpg highway from a diesel is "pretty amazing". Disappointing is more like it. I get 32-33 mpg highway in my 328 with a 2.0T.
My car is over 4000 lb, so the MPG is really amazing.
Old 10-28-16, 01:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670

Keep in mind that the E350 diesel, along with the 335d are the "performance" diesel options in Europe. In that Mercedes they offer a 2.1 liter 4 cylinder diesel in various states of tune, along with that same 3.0 V6 diesel as in the OP's car in various states of tune, we get the hottest diesel version here in the states. BMW is the same way.
Old 10-28-16, 02:21 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
My car is over 4000 lb, so the MPG is really amazing.
At 65-70mph I could get 30-31 in my LS460 which weighs 4240lbs.
Old 11-09-20, 06:49 PM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our first hybrid was a 2010 Prius, which was replaced by our current 2018 Prius Prime. I also have a 2016 RX450h F-Sport which I purchased new in 2016. I learned several things about Toyota hybrid MPG from our 2010 Prius.

1. The car will get less MPG during the winter. I don't know what the causes are, but probably a combination of winter-blend gas, lower temperatures affecting the battery, weather, and who knows what else.
2. The car is sensitive to tire rolling resistance. When I replaced the original factory (noisy, rough) tires with standard Toyo tires, I believe I paid between 4 - 6 MPG penalty. One year later, I threw away those very low mileage Toyos and replaced them with Bridgestone Ecopia ("green") tires and immediately regained my lost 4 - 6 MPG. Non-green tires make a huge difference in MPG.
3. MPG seems to be reduced by moisture on the road. This may sound silly, but it seems like when driving on wet roads (not just damp, but wet, especially with standing water), it seems MPG is less. My theory is not only that the tires have to plow through standing water, but the tires pick up water off the road and water surface tension in effect creates drag, which translates into reduced MPG.
Old 11-09-20, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AST300
Our first hybrid was a 2010 Prius, which was replaced by our current 2018 Prius Prime. I also have a 2016 RX450h F-Sport which I purchased new in 2016. I learned several things about Toyota hybrid MPG from our 2010 Prius.

1. The car will get less MPG during the winter. I don't know what the causes are, but probably a combination of winter-blend gas, lower temperatures affecting the battery, weather, and who knows what else.
2. The car is sensitive to tire rolling resistance. When I replaced the original factory (noisy, rough) tires with standard Toyo tires, I believe I paid between 4 - 6 MPG penalty. One year later, I threw away those very low mileage Toyos and replaced them with Bridgestone Ecopia ("green") tires and immediately regained my lost 4 - 6 MPG. Non-green tires make a huge difference in MPG.
3. MPG seems to be reduced by moisture on the road. This may sound silly, but it seems like when driving on wet roads (not just damp, but wet, especially with standing water), it seems MPG is less. My theory is not only that the tires have to plow through standing water, but the tires pick up water off the road and water surface tension in effect creates drag, which translates into reduced MPG.
Wow.....nothing like bumping up an old thread. But, since you asked, fuel-mileage drops in the winter (all else equal) for several reasons. First, cold starts and warm-up, particularly early in the morning when it is coldest outside, require a richer air/fuel-mixture (more fuel, less air), for a longer period of time, to compensate for the fact that fuel does not vaporize well in a cold engine. Second, lower pressure in the tires (because cold air contracts in gas-volume) increase rolling-resistance until the tires themselves heat up a little from road-friction...the rolling resistance means the engine has to work harder to overcome it. Third, although I have never liked this feature, some auto manufacturers do not allow the automatic transmission to shift into higher gears until the engine temperature reaches around 140 degrees or so....bottom of the normal range on the temperature-gauge or when the blue cold light goes out. That means more engine RPM than is necessary. In the winter, of course, until warm the transmission will stay in the lower gears much longer...which means creeping along at low speeds to keep from put a lot of RPM on the engine when cold. Fourth, the engine oil is thicker when cold, with higher viscosity, and puts an added drag on the engine until warm (that's one reason why so many vehicles today recommend such thin oils, although I question how well some of those thin oils protect in the summertime). Fifth, you will probably have the heater on inside, trying to warm your tootsies in the cabin....and that itself delays full engine warm-up (and better fuel-mileage), because it diverts some of the engine-heat from the block itself into the heater-core inside the cabin (the heater-core is actually a small auxiliary radiator that engine-coolant circulates in). Next time you use the heater on a cold morning, watch your temperature gauge.....you will notice that it takes significantly longer for it to climb when you are using the heater or heat-defrost, particularly on full-blast with fan speed. When you turn off the heater, the gauge-needle will shortly rise....that is normal. Sixth, of course, in the winter, the engine cools down again, after a run, much more quickly, than in warmer conditions, necessitating the whole cycle over again.

As far as whether the winter-blend gasoline/ethanol mix itself affects mileage or not, that one I don't know for sure ....I'm not a chemist. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one....although I do know that, in general, the more the ratio of ethanol to gas, the lower the mileage...ethanol has only about 50-60% of the efficiency of gasoline. It is used primarily because it burns much cleaner, does not come from petroleum/crude-oil sources, and can be made from corn and a number of other bio-sources.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-09-20 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 07:59 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AST300

Not to sound like a complete "D," but what does this have to do with a 4 year old post about diesels?

Quick Reply: Mercedes e350 bluetec gas mileage is very impressive.