Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

arthritis - which lexus has the lighest steering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Its funny how when they introduced power steering back in the 1950's and as it became more common in the 60's, they just went total overkill with it. I've noticed on a couple of vintage Impalas I've driven, I actually prefer the cars without power steering. Granted it can be a bit of a PITA in a parking lot, but the non-assisted cars had tighter, less sloppy steering IMO, they were easier to keep pointed in a straight line as well. Of course this could all be in my head or due to the state of various suspension components between the different cars I drove.
True to an extent. But I think you're forgetting that, with the manual (non-power) recirculating-ball steering system back then, as miles and wear built up on the steering gear, slop and free-play would develop across the middle of the wheel, sometimes to the point where you could move the steering wheel 20 or 30 degrees off-center and not get much, if any, visible response from the front end. The hydraulic power-steering systems of the era not only masked the tendency to have (or feel) slop in the wheel, but often actually combined the power-assist with a numerically faster steering-gear, for quicker response.
Old 10-21-16, 06:31 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I briefly owned a'47 Cadillac without power steering while in college. It was
easy to drive, but really tough to parallel park. The secret was to creep forward or back while attempting to turn the massive steering wheel. Forget turning the wheel at a standstill, a little movement was required to maneuver the big beast
Old 10-21-16, 06:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2010 Corolla, the first Corolla model with electric power steering, had really light steering, so light that it was tiring to drive on the highway because the car tended to wander.

It was like my father's 1984 Camry. For a while, we had a 1984 Camry and my 1987 Corolla without power steering. There were times when my parents asked me to drive the Camry; I refused, preferring my Corolla because the larger Camry was tiring to drive as it wandered on the highway.
Old 10-22-16, 02:22 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a LX470 before, it truck rode so nice it's almost like driving a LS! The steering is normal, but not too light, but if you like the LS400 feel, I would think you will love the LX as well.
Old 10-22-16, 04:01 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Now that we are talking about the OP with "bad arthritis" and needing something with light steering to just drive the car . . . .

Can the OP even hop up into a big SUV???? Granted it isn't hard for most able bodied men, but just throwing throwing this out there, the SUV suggestions are rather silly if the OP can't comfortably enter or exit said truck. The Lexus GX and LX trucks do require quite a step up and a tug on the steering wheel or grab handle to get into them.
Old 10-22-16, 07:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Now that we are talking about the OP with "bad arthritis" and needing something with light steering to just drive the car . . . .

Can the OP even hop up into a big SUV???? Granted it isn't hard for most able bodied men, but just throwing throwing this out there, the SUV suggestions are rather silly if the OP can't comfortably enter or exit said truck. The Lexus GX and LX trucks do require quite a step up and a tug on the steering wheel or grab handle to get into them.
That's why many larger SUVs come with either standard or optional side-running boards.
Old 10-22-16, 08:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This is almost like asking "are the seats comfortable?" It's really too personal and subjective. I think the OP has the right idea of just testing various cars for themselves until they find one that feels right to them.