Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
did she say why?
Nope...other than some very vague references to "I don't want to give them my money". So, I didn't press the subject. Some people are just unpredictable, and it's hard to read their minds.
Old 10-08-16, 10:46 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The Genesis website is also pretty good. However, Hyundai's decision to sell these at their own dealerships rather than stand-alone Genesis dealerships (which is in the cars just a few years down the road) doesn't sit well with me. Everything about the Hyundai experience feels cheap and that is not the image Genesis should to be associated with. Visit any Hyundai dealership's website and you'll see what I mean.
Instead of spending money on new facilities, their plan relies on upgrades at current facilities (separate showrooms, etc.) and a focus on valet services where they bring the shopping experience to you and pick-up your car for service. You may never see the inside of a Genesis dealership. Done well, this could be a superior dealership experience.
Steve
Old 10-08-16, 11:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice to see a interior with physical buttons and controls for most functions instead of doing away with buttons for less intuitive, annoying, touchscreens like many modern interiors..
Old 10-08-16, 11:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Absolutely, that's the ideal situation but that doesn't exist everywhere. For instance in Montgomery County, there aren't really any big Hyundai dealers alongside other luxury dealers. Dealers are a little spread out. The local Hyundai market is dominated by Fitzgerald, and he refuses to renovate for Genesis so they won't have the G90, and eventually my guess is not the G80 either.

I asked the sales rep yesterday about how that would work with service. Closest dealer to my house is 45 miles. Would they take it for valet service that far? He wasn't sure. Do I want it driven 90 miles round trip for an oil change?
Not even close to a deal breaker for me, I change my own oil, filter, etc which is very easy and saves money. I guess oil changes are covered under their maintenance plan for 4 or 5 years so someone could just take it to a Hyundai or Kia dealership close by and do the loaner if someone is so bothered by being in a Hyundai dealership or maybe Hyundai will pick your car up and drop off a loaner at your house under the maintenance. plan.
Old 10-08-16, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Yeah I agree. Tessa's doing well without dealers, but they have those mall stores. That's an idea for Genesis too.

I think they need some sort of place for people to easily go to see the cars.
Old 10-08-16, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think people have to relax on the Genesis standalone dealer thing for a while. A standalone Genesis dealer cannot support itself on just two models. Once the CUVs, SUVs and sub 50K vehicles start to hit the market, you will see standalone dealers.

And Hyudnai has said that those who sell Genesis do not have to upgrade or build a new facility, although they are encouraged to add space to the dealer.
Old 10-08-16, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first world problem.
This is correct LOL

Originally Posted by UDel
Not even close to a deal breaker for me, I change my own oil, filter, etc which is very easy and saves money. I guess oil changes are covered under their maintenance plan for 4 or 5 years so someone could just take it to a Hyundai or Kia dealership close by and do the loaner if someone is so bothered by being in a Hyundai dealership or maybe Hyundai will pick your car up and drop off a loaner at your house under the maintenance. plan.
Changing your own oil doesn't save you money when its free to let Genesis do it lol. And the vast, vast majority of consumers in this segment absolutely would never change their own oil.

Only Genesis dealers will provide Genesis level service. I don't know if you can physically take it to an ordinary Hyundai dealer and get a free oil change, maybe, but the service valet, loaner, etc has to be provided by a Genesis dealer.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think people have to relax on the Genesis standalone dealer thing for a while. A standalone Genesis dealer cannot support itself on just two models.
Lexus dealers did. As did Acura dealers and Infiniti dealers. Like bit said those companies took a huge gamble especially Toyota in doing that, but I think having those dealers helped make Lexus take off as quickly as it did. I remember Lexus dealers having parties, wine tastings, art shows, concerts, anything to get people in the door and give them a shot at showcasing the LS400. Those dealers were strategically located too...the Genesis approved Hyundai dealers right now are VERY haphazardly located.

My only concern at this stage after having driven the car is how would the dealer experience work. Would they come that distance out to me? Its not just about maintenance, its about warranty work, support, etc. The car is absolutely worthy.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-08-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 12:41 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope...other than some very vague references to "I don't want to give them my money". So, I didn't press the subject. Some people are just unpredictable, and it's hard to read their minds.
brand snobbery.
Old 10-08-16, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
brand snobbery.
Its funny, I have had to explain the Kia a couple times to people I know. I have had several people say to me, knowing I have always driven a Lexus and had the nice Jeeps, and that I'm capable of spending a lot on a car, "I can't believe you would buy a Kia" My response is, "Just look at it, its the nicest van on the road thats why I bought it, and its been one of the best cars I've ever had.

I also have had to do that because of driving a Lexus too, mainly earlier on. Nowadays people see more parity.
Old 10-08-16, 01:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I agree. Tessa's doing well without dealers, but they have those mall stores. That's an idea for Genesis too.

I think they need some sort of place for people to easily go to see the cars.
How about investing in dealership network... a novel idea? :-)
Pretending Hyundai does not exist does not work... invest money into the brand and that will work, eventually.

p.s. are you buying one?
Old 10-08-16, 02:08 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are a lot of people STILL living in denial about Hyundais and Kias. I see it more than I'd care to. For example, one of our Condo Board members was recently talking with me about a possible new vehicle for her, and when I mentioned a few Hyundai/Kia products that would fit the role very nicely, she said she wouldn't buy one, period. Wouldn't even consider it. True, in a free society, one usually makes his or her own purchase decisions, but.............

I know a good number of people in my circle who would not consider a Korean car either. My other half is one of them. But she loves Korean home appliances. I personally don't blame them though. It does run in my blood too. I buy Korean TVs but I don't feel the same way about cars yet.
Old 10-08-16, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
How about investing in dealership network... a novel idea? :-)
Pretending Hyundai does not exist does not work... invest money into the brand and that will work, eventually.

p.s. are you buying one?
They need that separation from the lower brand is the issue.

I'm not in a position to, I'm only a year into my LS lease. I will definitely consider it when the time comes though.
Old 10-08-16, 03:05 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review!!

I'll be buying a G90.
I've a 2014 (almost 170K miles) 2015 (totalled) and a 2016 (approaching 40K miles) Equus, and they've been brilliant so far.
Old 10-08-16, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's great news...
Old 10-08-16, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I know a good number of people in my circle who would not consider a Korean car either. My other half is one of them. But she loves Korean home appliances. I personally don't blame them though. It does run in my blood too. I buy Korean TVs but I don't feel the same way about cars yet.
Yes, people are free to make their own purchase decisions. I don't think anyone in this forum is suggesting otherwise. But, sometimes, decisions are made on information that is either way out of date, from simple stubbornness on the part of the buyer, or the refusal to look at things objectively.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news