Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
is the 2nd gen genesis a concept car? last i checked, no.
Anyhow, OK, you have a point about concepts often having different tires/wheels from production models....perhaps I could have worded that post a little differently. We had a Caddy CTS-V, though, at the D.C.auto show last year, with tires/wheels somewhat similar to that...and the Cadillac reps said they might make it an option. You couldn't even see the lower part of the tires when they sunk down into the floor's carpeting LOL.
Old 11-10-15, 06:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Concept to real world car doesn't always translate because of safety, ride, handling requirements. Looks like BMW fans were hoping their 7 series had translated better into the real deal. Unless you have a way to stuff 20 inch low profile tires into a really low fender line, you have a ride problem.

But it's a great start for Genesis. Even the G90 moniker will settle with potential buyers. It will translate well across world markets without translation issues.

It's going to be interesting because if Genesis were to out-Lexus, Lexus and still steal some of the Germans' thunder - game changing scenerio.
Old 11-10-15, 07:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

So this brand will also be based on copying a variety of different manufacturers' designs? What happened to creativity? Not saying it looks bad, but you cannot tell me there is an ounce of originality there...
Old 11-10-15, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I might like that more than the LF-LC concept.

Very excited to see what Genesis can do.
Old 11-10-15, 08:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We've already seen much of the G90 interior pics in Equus spy threads. There's plenty of derivative detailing in there unfortunately. I'm rooting for this brand though.
Old 11-10-15, 09:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks good so far.
Any rumors on the powertrain?
Old 11-10-15, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Looks good so far.
Any rumors on the powertrain?
No definite info released yet, but most likely the Hyundai 5.0L V8.
Old 11-11-15, 06:03 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has also been talk of the twin-turbo 3.3 V6. It's not clear information however because different sources say different things. Some say it will offer around 365 hp and will most likely replace the 3.8 V6. Some say it will match the 5.0 V8 in power ratings and ultimately replace the V8. I have also read where they will use this engine albeit in a different state of tune for their new high performance N-Performance division with 470+ hp.

What I'm really hoping for is a 3.3TT V6 365 hp, new turbo V8 and a high performance 6-cylinder for a lighter "M3" type vehicle.
Old 11-11-15, 07:30 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

Having jumped ship from Lexus to Hyundai I can honestly say my experience with my Genesis has been nothing short of spectacular. I have the 2015 Genesis with the 5.0 and it is a magnificent car with respect to power and driving dynamics.

The TTV6 is coming in 2017 to the Genesis platform and I would assume it could be used in other vehicles in the line up as well.

To those that say Hyundai just copies design elements - take a look back a few years at the "fluidic design concept" when they reintroduced the sonata and the design language trickled down to the elantra, accent, santa fe and Tuscon. In todays market I think its nearly impossible to have a completely original design that doesn't share some design elements with other manufacturers. Just because one manufacturer implements elements that another brand started doesn't mean they lack design chops or originality. Then there is the fact the some of the same guys that designed cars for European and Japanese brands now are employed by Hyundai. So I guess the design elements you say are stolen from a manufacturer are just designs that an individual may have been working on for some time, the brand they work for has just changed.

Hyundai builds quality cars - its time to move past the "but its a Hyundai" state of mind and acknowledge that they build a quality product at an attractive price. As they continue to grow and gain experience in the market they will only become a stronger competitor.

I believe Lexus still builds a superior product, but I am in no way ashamed to say I drive a Hyundai. Anyone claiming that Hyundai is lesser brand than any of its non-luxury American on Japanese counterparts is simply living in the past.
Old 11-11-15, 08:09 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will go from concept to car before we see a ls or a new lexus v6 lol
Old 11-11-15, 08:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
This will go from concept to car before we see a ls or a new lexus v6 lol
Very true. Just to remind people, here are some interior spy pics from way back:

Old 11-11-15, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by huddleston
Having jumped ship from Lexus to Hyundai I can honestly say my experience with my Genesis has been nothing short of spectacular. I have the 2015 Genesis with the 5.0 and it is a magnificent car with respect to power and driving dynamics.

Hyundai builds quality cars - its time to move past the "but its a Hyundai" state of mind and acknowledge that they build a quality product at an attractive price. As they continue to grow and gain experience in the market they will only become a stronger competitor.

I believe Lexus still builds a superior product, but I am in no way ashamed to say I drive a Hyundai. Anyone claiming that Hyundai is lesser brand than any of its non-luxury American on Japanese counterparts is simply living in the past.
Couldn't agree more. With the 2015 Genesis 5.0L RWD, I had one of the best review-experiences in a 4-door sedan that I had experienced in a long time. Those who pan this car, IMO, simply don't know what they are talking about.

My pastor, BTW, has a 3.8L version, and just loves it.
Old 11-11-15, 04:13 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by huddleston
traitor!!!!! you're gonna have to go by benedict huddleston from now on

i've never driven one but i'm very impressed with the numbers its engine puts down. 420 hp from an n/a 5 liter is a very respectable figure, but its transmission seems to shift like its from the deep south and full of biscuits and gravy

Old 11-11-15, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts
Default Genesis G90 Concept Rendering - That didn't take long

Originally Posted by Stroock639
traitor!!!!! you're gonna have to go by benedict huddleston from now on

i've never driven one but i'm very impressed with the numbers its engine puts down. 420 hp from an n/a 5 liter is a very respectable figure, but its transmission seems to shift like its from the deep south and full of biscuits and gravy

That's the old Genesis.
Old 11-11-15, 05:05 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Some interior spy shots here:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/s...picture-3.html

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news