Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you keep your cars longer than 4 years the depreciation factor isn't quite as galling IMO. Its those first two years or so when the car loses half its value that really suck.
except they don't. my grand cherokee summit was about 48k new with taxes i believe. after almost 2 years i was offered 35k trade-in. certainly nothing like half. and i get to drive a vehicle that was brand new, which is worth something to me. and i got full warranty and first 2 years maintenance free. that's all worth something. it's an age old divide here... there are those that feel buying used is the way to go, more sensible, because they don't see value in buying a new car and don't mind buying a car, with mileage on it. i respect that. but that doesn't mean there isn't also value in buying new.

but your point that new cars depreciate in value faster than old cars is valid. and you know why? because a lot of people DON'T want (even perfectly good) used vehicle.
Old 10-25-16, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

2-3 yr 50% rule mostly applies to the main luxury brands (mb, bmw, lexus, audi, etc...). it today i get a toyota i am pretty sure i will just buy, it's less money and most likely don't depreciate as fast.
Old 10-25-16, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except they don't. my grand cherokee summit was about 48k new with taxes i believe. after almost 2 years i was offered 35k trade-in. certainly nothing like half. and i get to drive a vehicle that was brand new, which is worth something to me. and i got full warranty and first 2 years maintenance free. that's all worth something. it's an age old divide here... there are those that feel buying used is the way to go, more sensible, because they don't see value in buying a new car and don't mind buying a car, with mileage on it. i respect that. but that doesn't mean there isn't also value in buying new.

but your point that new cars depreciate in value faster than old cars is valid. and you know why? because a lot of people DON'T want (even perfectly good) used vehicle.
The Jeep holds its value really well. I got out of mine after 10 months and made money on the lease, which is practically unheard of...

But, when talking about flagship luxury cars though the depreciation hurts. I bet I would get about $55k for mine in trade, which is $25k off MSRP after 1.5 years. Ouch.
Old 10-25-16, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Jeep holds its value really well. I got out of mine after 10 months and made money on the lease, which is practically unheard of...
Jeeps hold their value because of their great popularity and cult-like following. The JGC, of course, is a very impressive vehicle in its own right, and, while none of the other Jeeps can compare to it, many afficionados of the brand are willing to tolerate or overlook their faults. The Wrangler, especially, has a group of devoted loyal enthusiasts.
Old 10-25-16, 08:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

But, when talking about flagship luxury cars though the depreciation hurts. I bet I would get about $55k for mine in trade, which is $25k off MSRP after 1.5 years. Ouch.
there is always something worse
Old 10-25-16, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
there is always something worse
Hey mines a rental so that's somebody else's problem lol
Old 10-25-16, 09:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I bet I would get about $55k for mine in trade, which is $25k off MSRP after 1.5 years. Ouch.
I've no doubt you didn't negotiate to msrp when you leased, but let's say it was $75k value. So that's $20k in 18mos, or 27%, a far cry from 50% mentioned.
Old 10-26-16, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Part of it depends on condition, how nice the car looks, and accumulated mileage. I'd assume that, as an auto enthusiast and regular member here, you take enough pride in your car that it is clean, relatively dent-free, has had all its service done, and drives well. That will add to the trade-in $$$$$ you will get. Of course, having two kids means extra work keeping a car clean, but I guess that is what the Sedona is for.
Old 10-26-16, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've no doubt you didn't negotiate to msrp when you leased, but let's say it was $75k value. So that's $20k in 18mos, or 27%, a far cry from 50% mentioned.
I actually paid about $70k, but resale figures are calculated off of the MSRP when people compare. That's why deep discounts on new models are such an issue.

But the point stands. The poster was talking about poor resale because a G90 will be worth $20k less in two years, that's very typical for a car in this segment.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of it depends on condition, how nice the car looks, and accumulated mileage. I'd assume that, as an auto enthusiast and regular member here, you take enough pride in your car that it is clean, relatively dent-free, has had all its service done, and drives well. That will add to the trade-in $$$$$ you will get. Of course, having two kids means extra work keeping a car clean, but I guess that is what the Sedona is for.
In my experience the car being in great condition doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to trade in value unfortunately.
Old 10-26-16, 07:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The poster was talking about poor resale because a G90 will be worth $20k less in two years, that's very typical for a car in this segment.
agree it's typical.

In my experience the car being in great condition doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to trade in value unfortunately.
agree totally on this too.
Old 10-26-16, 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

agree totally on this too.
When I traded my GS, obviously the car was incredible. No wear anywhere, not a mark on it. Every service performed, mostly by the dealer I traded it to. They wouldn't even have had to wash it, let alone detail it. A buddy of mine went over to see it because he knew it was my car, when he balked at the price (which was fair, only listed ~3k or so more than they paid me) they proceeded to try and show him all the "work they had to do to the car when they bought it"...which was a total load of horse poopie lol

It costs them nothing to put lipstick on an ugly car to make it look nice, and buyers can't look past that and see whether a car has been truly cared for or spruced up, so they won't pay more for a car in really good shape, so they won't give much more for one on trade.
Old 10-26-16, 08:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

...which was a total load of horse poopie lol
there are liars, bigger liars, and car dealers.
Old 10-26-16, 01:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Hey mines a rental so that's somebody else's problem lol
yup, that's the whole idea of leasing. driving something nice (for a price) and emotionally not attached at all

I actually paid about $70k, but resale figures are calculated off of the MSRP when people compare. That's why deep discounts on new models are such an issue.

But the point stands. The poster was talking about poor resale because a G90 will be worth $20k less in two years, that's very typical for a car in this segment.

totally agree. keeping the car in super great condition vs regular (not torn leather and falling bumpers), it's not going to get you any extra money

over the years i have grown to have little feeling about dealerships. they are a business, their goal is to try make as much money as possible. our goal as customer is to pay as little as possible. so in general it's very hard for me to listen or believe anything they say. in fact, every time they say something i am sure it's for a reason and it's my mission to figure out the true intention behind.

can't really say i like that whole idea. every time it becomes hours of time wasting negotiations at the dealerships. just went through it again and it's straight painful. i am just so thankful that i have great and trustworthy lexus contact so if i need something lexus, i know one call and i am getting a good price. too bad not getting lexus this time around
Old 10-26-16, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
totally agree. keeping the car in super great condition vs regular (not torn leather and falling bumpers), it's not going to get you any extra money
Obviously, it depends on who the dealership and the salespersons are, but, in general, I (and people I've shopped with) have found that the better the overall condition, the better the trade-in $$$$$. That's why both KBB and NADA base their re-sale and trade-in figures on both condition and mileage. It also helps sometimes if you are a repeat customer or if the dealership knows you and is not dealing with perfect strangers. My brother, for example, got an excellent deal on his Kia Sportage, partly because he had bought a Soul there previously, they knew him (and me), they knew the vehicle's history, and Kia had special factory trade-in incentives as well.
Old 10-26-16, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Obviously, it depends on who the dealership and the salespersons are, but, in general, I (and people I've shopped with) have found that the better the overall condition, the better the trade-in $$$$$. That's why both KBB and NADA base their re-sale and trade-in figures on both condition and mileage. It also helps sometimes if you are a repeat customer or if the dealership knows you and is not dealing with perfect strangers. My brother, for example, got an excellent deal on his Kia Sportage, partly because he had bought a Soul there previously, they knew him (and me), they knew the vehicle's history, and Kia had special factory trade-in incentives as well.
Sorry Mike, but none of that is true. First off dealers don't use KBB or NADA to value cars. Dealers use a combination of their own sales history with a certain model, and auction prices. Certainly a nice car vs a wrung out car is going to have a value difference, but when it comes to a typical "clean" trade, and an uber perfect car like say one of my cars, theres not much of a difference in value at all. I've traded in a bunch of them believe me, I know.

Its money in and money out. Dealer isn't going to lose money on you because you're a repeat customer, and if you think you've gotten a great price for your trade, you're getting it on the car you're buying.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news