Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Old 10-11-16, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is nothing new. and it's hardly limited to mercedes or even vehicles.

the amount some people waste on boats, planes, jewelry, etc., is pretty stunning.
..........And, don't forget that during the Bush 41, Clinton, and early Bush 43 years, on top of their already high prices, we had a Federal Luxury tax on those items...and some upmarket vehicles as well.
Old 10-11-16, 09:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

that doesn't make sense. since the lease payment is based off:
(new price - expected depreciated price at lease end) / # payments

so if lease price is low, the financier doesn't expect the value of the car to go down a lot. if they expect it to drop like a rock, the lease won't be that low. if there's lots of 'incentives' in there somehow to rig the math, then who's making any money?
can easily happen. a brand can jack up the residual so the lease payments are low. but true market price at lease ends tanks badly. the financial institutes take the hit. it's all in the math, it's always doable.

and it has been done over and over again. a lot of bmw are done like this, their residuals are higher than their actual worth. and even for lexus. just look at the 2013-2015 gs, lease deals were crazy (that's why i have one), but it's so flooded that the market value is thousands below residual. someone takes a lot of loss on paper

this is nothing new. and it's hardly limited to mercedes or even vehicles.

the amount some people waste on boats, planes, jewelry, etc., is pretty stunning.
i didn't say only mercedes depreciates, did i?

what i was saying is whoever says hyundai depreciates bad, they should take a real close look at mercedes, which is among the top in luxury car brands
Old 10-16-16, 11:56 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest problem with this car is that it's outdated. Would have been great in 2010, and it looks like it's from 2010.
Old 10-16-16, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The biggest problem with this car is that it's outdated. Would have been great in 2010, and it looks like it's from 2010.
How is it outdated? It certainly looks quite different from its Equus predecessor.
Old 10-16-16, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

LOL, I completely disagree.
Old 10-16-16, 03:07 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is it outdated? It certainly looks quite different from its Equus predecessor.
I'm looking at a car from an insurance commercial circa 2010:

Sorry but aside from the price I see nothing desirable about this car. They had an opportunity to bring a product with standout styling and innovative world first tech (probably in autonomy) and blew it.
Old 10-16-16, 03:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm looking at a car from an insurance commercial circa 2010:

Sorry but aside from the price I see nothing desirable about this car. They had an opportunity to bring a product with standout styling and innovative world first tech (probably in autonomy) and blew it.
420hp V8, roomy, RWD, beautiful interior, good proportions, too many luxury features to list all for 15-20K+ less then its competitors with likely better reliability then German competition is nothing desirable? What is so special about another car that is offering even less driver interaction so you can doodle on your phone for a little longer while not paying attention to the road? I find this autonomous nonsense highly over hyped and a step in the wrong direction for luxury/sports cars.

Have not seen one yet on the road, styling may be a little bland but so are most cars in its segment, it is still nice looking and certainly much better looking then the LS460 inside and out. New 7 series looks more like a CUV with its smashed in high nose, current A8 is no beauty like the last generation was.
Old 10-16-16, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You should drive the car lol
Old 10-16-16, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Old 10-16-16, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of my mottos..........Drive before Jive.
Old 10-16-16, 06:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally flagship class buyers aren't necessarily interested in outrageous over the top styling statements. They just want a car packed with tech and that isolates them from the driving environment. Giving in to fads of the day just means your top of the line model looks silly some years down the road. So the Genesis G90 is just an understated first stand-alone attempt by Hyundai to enter the top tier of luxury car sales.

In person, I think the G90 will present far better than in pictures. If you look at Roll Royce's Phantom - that is not exactly some sort of beauty queen, but it does exude presence. Same goes for BMW's 7 series. MB's S class is the winner here with understated elegance but it's not an over the top styling statement either.
Old 10-16-16, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Generally flagship class buyers aren't necessarily interested in outrageous over the top styling statements. They just want a car packed with tech and that isolates them from the driving environment. Giving in to fads of the day just means your top of the line model looks silly some years down the road. So the Genesis G90 is just an understated first stand-alone attempt by Hyundai to enter the top tier of luxury car sales.
Hyundai tried that with the last-generation Sonata, and learned its lesson....the current Sonata is considerably more conventional in styling, inside and out (and, IMO, much better-looking), than the last one was.
Old 10-17-16, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the G90 is gorgeous, but I don't think anything in that class is "gorgeous" except perhaps the S550 and the Jaguar XJ. like I said, the G90 is very much the same recipe as the Lexus LS, it's never been a cutting edge or gorgeous car either. I've had 3 all the same...

In my experience cars that are really striking when new often aren't so striking over time. Conservative attractive cars have better staying power, and i think the G90 qualifies there.
Old 10-17-16, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think the G90 is gorgeous, but I don't think anything in that class is "gorgeous" except perhaps the S550 and the Jaguar XJ. like I said, the G90 is very much the same recipe as the Lexus LS, it's never been a cutting edge or gorgeous car either. I've had 3 all the same...

In my experience cars that are really striking when new often aren't so striking over time. Conservative attractive cars have better staying power, and i think the G90 qualifies there.
Totally agree. I saw a new Genesis G90 at a recent auto show and I think it has a nice, understated presence. Heck, I saw an early 2000's LS430 on the road today, and thought "that is still a nice looking car." There is something to be said for conservative styling.
Old 10-18-16, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Totally agree. I saw a new Genesis G90 at a recent auto show and I think it has a nice, understated presence. Heck, I saw an early 2000's LS430 on the road today, and thought "that is still a nice looking car." There is something to be said for conservative styling.
Absolutely, all of them are still nice looking cars. Think about how a late 90s 7 Series looks vs the bangle 7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news