Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My First Barn Find. I am super excited.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 09:06 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default My First Barn Find. I am super excited.

Its nothing really major. But its a first for me. Some of you know that I am recently retired from the service. Some of you also know that I recently found myself breaking into the auto transportation business. Small-time. Single-car (expensive/valuable) loads. The kinds of cars you don't haul with other cars. The kinds of cars you don't haul on open trailers. The kinds of cars you don't haul in trucks marked "Acme Transportation" or, "Smith's Auto Transport" or the like. I am a one-man-show. I don't have hours. I am bonded. I have insurance. I work on a cash basis only. I am good at what I do.

However, today, I got a lead of a different sort. A lead that has me headed in a different direction. I am not transporting this one for a client...no no. This one...this one is for me.

My friend from back in the day calls me up. Her father-in-law has fallen on hard times. He heard I was a combat wounded veteran. His home is in foreclosure, and as a 72 year old Korean War veteran, his only recourse is the VA Retirement home. In his old barn out back, a 1964 Chevrolet Biscayne 4-door, numbers matching, V8, Automatic, A/C Car. It was last registered and tagged in 2010. with 20,000 ORIGINAL miles, it hasn't moved much. Story goes, it belonged to his younger brother, who never came home from Vietnam, so it has not moved much since 1972.

Anywhoo...I was offered the car for what it costs me to come get it. Its 45 minutes from my front door, and I have trailers for days so of course I said I will be there first thing monday morning. Old Man said he would much rather hand me the keys and see me restore and enjoy it than see it go to auction...and so I think thats just what I will do.

Here she is...better pix after I see her tomorrow:

Old 10-02-16, 09:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So your sig says you're in Texas. Has this been a Texas car its whole life???? That looks pretty sweet, 1964 was a great year for Chevy. From that shot down the side it looks like A REALLY NICE straight, rust free car.

Also what sort of V8?? 283, 327, 409? Pretty cool that she came with a V8, most Biscaynes had the six cylinder option. I know one of the best mods for these cars as far as drivability goes is to swap out the 2 speed powerglide and put in a later model 700R4 trans from an 80's/90's Chevy truck or Caprice.
Old 10-02-16, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice find, Josh. Good luck on the restoration.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Also what sort of V8?? 283, 327, 409?
Possible it's a 409, but not likely. In the early-mid 1960s, that top-line engine usually went into the Impala SS, which was the same body and frame as the Biscayne, but was a lot more expensive and had more trim and equipment. The Biscayne, though, had the advantage of being lighter than an Impala, which made less of a load on the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes. The two-speed Powerglide automatic transmission, though, which came on some Biscaynes with the smaller engines, was not known for being efficient. I once (briefly) owned a 1965 Buick Skylark with the 300 c.i. V8 and that same transmission.
Old 10-02-16, 10:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ Yeah I doubt its a 409, especially on a 4 door Biscayne. That would have to be a special order type of deal, a dealer wouldn't have stocked that type of car on their lot. Still the 283 or 327 are great engines, plenty of power to keep up with modern traffic and lay some rubber if you're so inclined.

As for your comments about the 2 speed powerglide, its just old technology vs a more modern 700R4 which has 4 speeds, with that nice overdrive so you can cruise comfortably with low rpms at 80-90mph with all the other crazy Texans in their newer cars on the interstate. The powerglide does have its strengths though, in the world of drag racing its a tough transmission if you build it with the right heavy duty parts. You can put a 1,000hp in front of a properly built powerglide trans and not break it.
Old 10-02-16, 10:04 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So your sig says you're in Texas. Has this been a Texas car its whole life???? That looks pretty sweet, 1964 was a great year for Chevy. From that shot down the side it looks like A REALLY NICE straight, rust free car.

Also what sort of V8?? 283, 327, 409? Pretty cool that she came with a V8, most Biscaynes had the six cylinder option. I know one of the best mods for these cars as far as drivability goes is to swap out the 2 speed powerglide and put in a later model 700R4 trans from an 80's/90's Chevy truck or Caprice.
327. It was built in Arlington TX, been in Texas its entire life. In that barn for most of it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice find, Josh. Good luck on the restoration.

Possible it's a 409, but not likely. In the early-mid 1960s, that top-line engine usually went into the Impala SS, which was the same body and frame as the Biscayne, but was a lot more expensive and had more trim and equipment. The Biscayne, though, had the advantage of being lighter than an Impala, which made less of a load on the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes. The two-speed Powerglide automatic transmission, though, which came on some Biscaynes with the smaller engines, was not known for being efficient. I once (briefly) owned a 1965 Buick Skylark with the 300 c.i. V8 and that same transmission.
There were not many made of these made i dont think. There are only a few left that are numbers matching running cars in original condition. The last of the 409's were put in the fleetmaster's in early 1962 and were thrashed almost entirely. They are nearly impossible to find. I am going to pull this one and have it rebuilt, refreshed and put it right back in, to maintain its originality.
Old 10-02-16, 10:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ Awesome stuff, I am a sucker for original cars, especially strippers and stuff that people always loved to hack up and hot-rod. I mean how many 4 door Biscaynes do you see at the car show??? Ones that are still equipped as they left the factory, ie correct interior, correct wheels, correct numbers matching engine, hardly any. I know its not a highly valuable classic, but I love seeing the "every-day" type of cars people actually drove back in the 60's at car shows. Station wagons, sedans, work trucks, if they are as they left the factory are pretty cool and rare cars now days.
Old 10-02-16, 10:13 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The funny thing is man, when I look at this, I just don't see resto-mod. Its got 4 doors. I don't see fast. I see cruisin'. I see takin' a fresh peach pie to moms house with the windows down on sunday after church. That's what I see.

Guy said it had a few dents. F me guy its a 53 year old car bro. lol. It needs an interior. OK. I know a guy. It needs paint. And? I am gonna pull the trim, sand it, paint it the factory paint code (white), send the trim off to chrome, buy what I have to, get new hubcaps if the originals can't be saved, and keep it as original as possible. For me, thats what will keep this car special.

All of the paperwork for the car, is in the glovebox, in a ziploc with mothballs in it. i hope its readable. If it is, I should be able to ascertain exactly what color to paint the thing.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-02-16 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 02:31 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would definitely keep a find like that as stock as possible. It will turn heads and hearts and represent the soul of Detroit past! Has an awesome history too. Congrats Josh and I'm willing to lend a hand on the restore!
Old 10-03-16, 07:12 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

She is nestled in her new home. In a little rougher shape than initially thought. It coughs on crank but will not run. Leaks from the oil pan badly. It is not a V8, but a 236 I-6, with a 3 on the tree manual. The person whom was in care of the car clearly had no idea (or could care less) what he had.

It has only the ignition key, but I do have the original purchase order and warranty paperwork, as well as a few service records and the original owners manual. Gotta be worth something. I can't wait to figure out how to open the trunk. but with no key, that will be a chore.
Old 10-03-16, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
She is nestled in her new home. In a little rougher shape than initially thought. It coughs on crank but will not run. Leaks from the oil pan badly. It is not a V8, but a 236 I-6, with a 3 on the tree manual. The person whom was in care of the car clearly had no idea (or could care less) what he had.

It has only the ignition key, but I do have the original purchase order and warranty paperwork, as well as a few service records and the original owners manual. Gotta be worth something. I can't wait to figure out how to open the trunk. but with no key, that will be a chore.
You might (?) also need a key for the outside front door locks. Many GM cars of that vintage had two separate keys.....a round one for the doors and a square one for the ignition.

The 235.5 c.i. in-line six was known as the "Blue Flame". It generally had a good reputation, though not quite as durable as the 225 c.i. Dodge/Plymouth Slant Six of the era.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 07:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I am going to have to re-key the entire car. Unfortunate, but at this point, after seeing it, its looking like it will need a total restoration. I am ok with that, but I wonder will it be worth more as a numbers matching 235, or with a 383 stroker and a 700R4 or Turbo 400?
Old 10-04-16, 04:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

getting into the trunk info here... http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/159585/
Old 10-05-16, 05:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Thanks Bagwell, that will come in handy this week sometime.

I am going to invest in a cheap cover to block the rays and protect from the elements until such time as I can begin to undertake what will undoubtedly be a MASSIVE project. This will likely have to start after I finish school. Here she is all nestled into her new home:

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-06-16 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just look at the size of that car (especially the hood and trunk) compared to even today's so-called "full-size sedans"....and, back then, that was still considered a relatively inexpensive car. Ah, those were the days..

(I was in junior-high-school when that was built, and basically went to high school with the mid-to-late-60s-vintage cars)
Old 10-06-16, 12:25 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Underneath that layer of grime, that interior looks to be in really nice shape. Seats and door panels look really nice.

Quick Reply: My First Barn Find. I am super excited.