Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 08:15 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?

I'll start with 2:

Jalopnik: The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap european car. Also have heard it from roadfrog on this forum from his experience with his 7-series and X5 I think.

Friend: Drive a 4-6 year old model of the car you are considering, it will help you understand what the car will feel like after a couple of years. If you still like it, buy it. Great advice I still give out to friends today. A while back, I remember driving a 2 year old Malibu that drove horrible, yet the 8-month old CPO Malibu I was considering (I know...I know...) drove great. Avoided that mess...

Look forward to yours!
Old 09-21-16, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap european car. Also have heard it from roadfrog on this forum from his experience with his 7-series and X5 I think.
So......just what about the 7 Series and X5 is cheap? You are talking about products than run anywhere from 55K to well over 100K.

A while back, I remember driving a 2 year old Malibu that drove horrible, yet the 8-month old CPO Malibu I was considering (I know...I know...) drove great. Avoided that mess...
"A while back" is definitely NOT today's Malibus. They have shed their rental-car status for good.

Look forward to yours!
The best advice I ever got is at least some of the same advice I give to others. Step One, do NOT sign on the dotted line for more vehicle than you can afford. Skip more than one or two payments, and the Repo agent will be waiting. Step Two, do NOT make excuses (especially lame excuses) for why you can't follow Step One. Step 3, look at what has happened to too many others for NOT following either Step One or Step Two. That should do the trick.
Old 09-21-16, 09:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

For me, the best advice is:

Don't be afraid to walk away.
Old 09-21-16, 10:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best advice I give to myself - Listen to my gut, and don't get distracted by the people on the fence jeering or cheering you.
Old 09-21-16, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"A while back" is definitely NOT today's Malibus. They have shed their rental-car status for good.
Yeah right.....http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...et-malibu-ltz/
Old 09-21-16, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Friend: Drive a 4-6 year old model of the car you are considering, it will help you understand what the car will feel like after a couple of years. If you still like it, buy it. Great advice I still give out to friends today.
makes zero sense to me. for one thing a car 4-6 years old is often a completely different car to the current model. for another, manufacturers do improve vehicles from year to year (and during the year) often without announcing the changes. buying the last year of a given model (before a complete new model is introduced) is typically the way to get the best, most reliable one. having said that, 3 of the vehicles i've bought new (1 lexus, 1 acura, 1 ford) have been first years of those models and no issues with any of them.

Originally Posted by JDR76
For me, the best advice is:
Don't be afraid to walk away.

Originally Posted by chikoo
Best advice I give to myself - Listen to my gut, and don't get distracted by salespeople or the people on the fence jeering or cheering you.
added...
Old 09-21-16, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
i read the article - the author doesn't hate the last gen malibu he rented. he praised some aspects of it. regardless, it's now obsolete, replaced by the great looking new 2017.
Old 09-21-16, 11:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i read the article - the author doesn't hate the last gen malibu he rented. he praised some aspects of it. regardless, it's now obsolete, replaced by the great looking new 2017.
Lol. I know. The last gen Malibu was good and so is the new one. But they are still used in rental fleets. A lot people picture the Malibu as a rental vehicle.
Old 09-21-16, 11:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
makes zero sense to me. for one thing a car 4-6 years old is often a completely different car to the current model. for another, manufacturers do improve vehicles from year to year (and during the year) often without announcing the changes. buying the last year of a given model (before a complete new model is introduced) is typically the way to get the best, most reliable one. having said that, 3 of the vehicles i've bought new (1 lexus, 1 acura, 1 ford) have been first years of those models and no issues with any of them.

added...
I get what he was trying to say. Perhaps a few years old. But most cars hold up well under the 4-5 year period. So not sure what test driving the car will really do. Cars are designed to wear and tear. Not everyone wants to keep their car 4-5 year or even more than that.
Old 09-21-16, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Come on, Jill. This appears to be a bait. You know exactly what I was trying to say. The last three generations of Malibu (and, before its discontinuation, its Saturn Aura twin) were rental cars that didn't look or drive like rental cars.
Old 09-21-16, 12:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Come on, Jill. This appears to be a bait. You know exactly what I was trying to say. The last three generations of Malibu (and, before its discontinuation, its Saturn Aura twin) were rental cars that didn't DRIVE like rental cars.
Fair enough, but I don't remember the 3rd last generation....I do remember the Malibu Maxx that my dad wanted to buy for my mom in 2004. She did not even make it into the showroom and she nixed that bad idea from the parking lot....she bought a 4Runner instead.
Old 09-21-16, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fair enough, but I don't remember the 3rd last generation....I do remember the Malibu Maxx that my dad wanted to buy for my mom in 2004. She did not even make it into the showroom and she nixed that bad idea from the parking lot....she bought a 4Runner instead.
The local auto-writer for the Washington Post (Warren Brown), in response to advice/questions, used to really push the Malibu Maxx.....he loved it. But I disagreed with him...and I agree with you that it was one of the old, low-quality, rental-grade vehicles from GM, though its hatchback design did give it better utility than the sedan. But the next-generation Malibu after that changed radically.....and every one since has been definitely more than just rental-grade.
Old 09-21-16, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

used to really push the Malibu Maxx.....he loved it. )
We have been hearing this for the last 10 years with GM products. They are better, and better, and better. Yet the still can't top Honda or Toyota and still suffer from reliability concerns.
Old 09-21-16, 01:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Anyway...back to car buying advice...

I would also add that it's important to set your budget before you go in, and stick to it. It's easy to get into the "it's just a little more per month" mentality, and to get wooed by unnecessary features that drive up the vehicle cost.
Old 09-21-16, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We have been hearing this for the last 10 years with GM products. They are better, and better, and better. Yet the still can't top Honda or Toyota and still suffer from reliability concerns.
Well, I never pushed the Malibu Maxx, or other versions of that-generation Malibu. In fact, at the time, I advised potential buyers to avoid it and look at Japanese-designed mid-sized sedans instead. Today, however, there is much less of a quality difference between the domestic-badged sedans and those from Asian manufacturers....in some cases, none at all.

Quick Reply: Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?