Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 09:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you mean like accords and camrys?
Well, it was a loooong time ago when I was given advice about buying a vehicle, way before Accords and Camrys could be considered American. These days I'm the one who gives advice.
Old 09-23-16, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, it was a loooong time ago when I was given advice about buying a vehicle, way before Accords and Camrys could be considered American. These days I'm the one who gives advice.
Didn't a number of us discuss that with you after one of your vehicles got flooded out and totalled by Sandy?
Old 09-23-16, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But some people consider Canadian to be American.
now them's fighting words. i wouldn't say that in canada.
Old 09-23-16, 08:22 AM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok, if someone is paying a "premium" for a Lexus or a higher end Toyota (Land Cruiser or 4Runner). I believe it should be made in Japan. I obviously would of rather had my Corolla or Matrix XRS built in Japan. But the lower end cars it does happen with for obvious cost reasons.

As for Lexus ES or RX, it saddens me because the price premium is still there but you are not getting a Japanese origin model. Same thing for German cars and whatever else.

This is why I have said it's a shame that the CT6 hybrid or Buick is not built on the USA but instead they come from China.

I agree with this sentiment... although my previous accord was built in ohio and RX in canada, would have much preferred it to be made in japan. I know that the canada lexus plant is rated very well, I very much love the fact that my IS came from the tahara plant in japan! this would be the same if i bought a 3 series. I think people (car geeks?) should focus on the quality of vehicles that come out from a particular plant as well.

with that said, I don't think I could ever own a GM or Chrysler product. as a general observation from rental cars, every product that i've experienced w/ them are just poor and to me that truly says something about their corporate image.
Old 09-23-16, 08:23 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you! Only the ignorant would say that Canadians are just like Americans.
Old 09-23-16, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
First, moderators aren't allowed to fight...their job is to keep others from fighting LOL. (j/k) Second, I said that some people would consider Canadian to be American....I didn't say that I was one of them. Third, if a vehicle was built in Canada and I liked it, that alone sure wouldn't stop me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-23-16 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Tks. I was hoping a Canadian member would weigh in.
Old 09-23-16, 10:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i lived in canada and visit still a fair bit.
Old 09-23-16, 10:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Anyone remember The Guess Who song American Woman?
Old 09-23-16, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
with that said, I don't think I could ever own a GM or Chrysler product. as a general observation from rental cars, every product that i've experienced w/ them are just poor and to me that truly says something about their corporate image.
I think you're missing out on a lot of potentially great products. Rental cars are always beat to hell, and they're usually undesirable models and low trim levels, fleet vehicles. I've been in plenty of Toyota and Honda products I felt were pretty poor too, would being in a horrible Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit for instance keep me from buying a Lexus? If it did, that would be pretty foolish of me. IMHO the Camry is a pretty crummy car nowadays, should that experience keep me from buying better Toyota/Lexus cars?

I think some good advice nowadays would be not to let preconceived notions about a brand or a country of origin sway your purchase decision overly much. If I had done that, two of the better cars I've ever had I never would have bought, namely my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my 2015 Kia Sedona. I would definitely buy a Chrysler again (I'd skip the first year lol), and I would definitely buy a Kia/Hyundai again...
Old 09-23-16, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Anyone remember The Guess Who song American Woman?
Yep. I was in college. That rock group was Canadian. As I see it, though, who cares what their lyrics were......most people in music were on drugs back then.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-23-16 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 01:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS

I think some good advice nowadays would be not to let preconceived notions about a brand or a country of origin sway your purchase decision overly much. If I had done that, two of the better cars I've ever had I never would have bought, namely my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my 2015 Kia Sedona. I would definitely buy a Chrysler again (I'd skip the first year lol), and I would definitely buy a Kia/Hyundai again...
Yes...I can sympathize with that. I get tired of trying to convince people that Hyundai and Kia don't make junk anymore...and haven't for some fifteen years. Too often (fortunately, not always)........this is the reaction I get.

Old 09-23-16, 02:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep. I was in college. That rock group was Canadian. As I see it, though, who cares what their lyrics were......most people in music were on drugs back then.
The lyrics were often misinterpreted and could apply to some of the conversation going on above.
Old 09-23-16, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The lyrics were often misinterpreted and could apply to some of the conversation going on above.
Yeah, I figured that's why you posted it. it was a lot more common to sing about woman back then than cars. Two of the very few exceptions were Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally" and George Frayne's "Hot Rod Lincoln". Earlier, during the early 60's surfing-era, you had some drag-racing songs by the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean.
Old 09-23-16, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think some good advice nowadays would be not to let preconceived notions about a brand or a country of origin sway your purchase decision overly much. If I had done that, two of the better cars I've ever had I never would have bought, namely my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my 2015 Kia Sedona.
agree 100%.

I would definitely buy a Chrysler again (I'd skip the first year lol), and I would definitely buy a Kia/Hyundai again...
was just given rides in a new pacifica minivan. really great vehicle!

Quick Reply: Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?