Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 01:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Anyway...back to car buying advice...

I would also add that it's important to set your budget before you go in, and stick to it. It's easy to get into the "it's just a little more per month" mentality, and to get wooed by unnecessary features that drive up the vehicle cost.
Agreed. That's pretty much what I outlined in my original post....where I outlined the three important steps. Nothing else matters if you cannot really afford the vehicle in the first place.
Old 09-21-16, 01:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Anyway...back to car buying advice...

I would also add that it's important to set your budget before you go in, and stick to it. It's easy to get into the "it's just a little more per month" mentality, and to get wooed by unnecessary features that drive up the vehicle cost.
Most buyers buy what they can afford. usually they have a fixed amount to spend and most will max it out. Then then need to qualify for financing etc etc.
Old 09-21-16, 01:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Most buyers buy what they can afford. usually they have a fixed amount to spend and most will max it out. Then then need to qualify for financing etc etc.
don't know about that, i think many buyers end up spending way more than they planned to, being convinced or bullied into signing by dealers. now whether they can afford it, i don't know - they can always stop eating i guess.
Old 09-21-16, 01:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm not talking about what they can afford, I am talking about their budget. I set a budget before I buy a car and stick with it. That budget is far below what I can technically afford and below what I could get financed for.

I believe most people set a budget and a not insignificant amount of people blow that budget when buying their car.
Old 09-21-16, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not talking about what they can afford, I am talking about their budget. I set a budget before I buy a car and stick with it. That budget is far below what I can technically afford and below what I could get financed for.

I believe most people set a budget and a not insignificant amount of people blow that budget when buying their car.
Well, I would say that more people do not know what the difference between their budget and what they can afford as well as what they can get financed for. I get what you are trying to say.
Old 09-21-16, 01:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't buy American.
Old 09-21-16, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Don't buy American.
Plus one on that.
Old 09-21-16, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Plus one on that.
Well, you bought an Ontario-built Corolla, didn't you?..........before they moved production to Mexico.
Old 09-21-16, 05:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep at least 40% of the purchase price of a well used off-warranty Audi, BMW or Mercedes car in the bank account for the amount of repairs/maintenance and unexpected fixes that it will require. After you've done the Carfax bit, make sure you have a PPI done on it and specifically see if your seller has been busy clearing trouble codes to get rid of the SES light on the dash.

Lift those nicely steam cleaned floor mats and see what's underneath. Do the same in the trunk with the liner. Look underneath the car front and back. Look for misaligned bodywork for a car that's been screwed up. Never buy a kid-modded car. Too much trouble.

And finally never take car buying advice from your mother, lean towards a car that brings a smile to your dad and your buddies or at least has them giving you a thumbs up.
Old 09-21-16, 06:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you bought an Ontario-built Corolla, didn't you?..........before they moved production to Mexico.
I bought a Canadian and not an American built . But you know I meant to say American as in American "brand"
Old 09-21-16, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I bought a Canadian and not an American built . But you know I meant to say American as in American "brand"
OK..fair enough. But some people consider Canadian to be American. Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think that any Japanese-nameplate vehicle should be built in a Japanese plant. But you yourself have also pointed out that it's not cost-effective to build certain vehicles in certain countries.

Me.....from a purely customer point of view, I personally don't care where a vehicle is built...or where the parts-content list comes from. But, as an American citizen, it's difficult not to feel for the men and women here who are constantly losing their jobs to cheaper foreign labor and plants. The people who built your Corolla are a good example.......their jobs are going to Mexico (same with the Ford Focus and C-Max), and, unless the plant is converted to some other vehicle production, could (?) end up unemployed. Hopefully, in Ford's case, that Focus plant may end up building the Ranger and Bronco.
Old 09-21-16, 07:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK..fair enough. But some people consider Canadian to be American. Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think that any Japanese-nameplate vehicle should be built in a Japanese plant. But you yourself have also pointed out that it's not cost-effective to build certain vehicles in certain countries.

Me.....from a purely customer point of view, I personally don't care where a vehicle is built...or where the parts-content list comes from. But, as an American citizen, it's difficult not to feel for the men and women here who are constantly losing their jobs to cheaper foreign labor and plants. The people who built your Corolla are a good example.......their jobs are going to Mexico (same with the Ford Focus and C-Max), and, unless the plant is converted to some other vehicle production, could (?) end up unemployed. Hopefully, in Ford's case, that Focus plant may end up building the Ranger and Bronco.
Ok, if someone is paying a "premium" for a Lexus or a higher end Toyota (Land Cruiser or 4Runner). I believe it should be made in Japan. I obviously would of rather had my Corolla or Matrix XRS built in Japan. But the lower end cars it does happen with for obvious cost reasons.

As for Lexus ES or RX, it saddens me because the price premium is still there but you are not getting a Japanese origin model. Same thing for German cars and whatever else.

This is why I have said it's a shame that the CT6 hybrid or Buick is not built on the USA but instead they come from China.

Old 09-21-16, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, if someone is paying a "premium" for a Lexus or a higher end Toyota (Land Cruiser or 4Runner). I believe it should be made in Japan. I obviously would of rather had my Corolla or Matrix XRS built in Japan. But the lower end cars it does happen with for obvious cost reasons.

As for Lexus ES or RX, it saddens me because the price premium is still there but you are not getting a Japanese origin model. Same thing for German cars and whatever else.

This is why I have said it's a shame that the CT6 hybrid or Buick is not built on the USA but instead they come from China.
Well, it's no secret that China is Buick's core market. The Chinese go simply ape-**** over the brand. Lexus and Cadillac have both been trying to make inroads there lately. What auto company wouldn't, in a rapidly growing country of a billion and a half people, with hundreds of millions of newly-licensed drivers?
Old 09-22-16, 06:37 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok, if someone is paying a "premium" for a Lexus or a higher end Toyota (Land Cruiser or 4Runner). I believe it should be made in Japan. I obviously would of rather had my Corolla or Matrix XRS built in Japan. But the lower end

Honda's best plant is in Ohio where they make the Accord
cars it does happen with for obvious cost reasons.

Honda's best plant is in Ohio where they build the Accord.
Old 09-22-16, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Don't buy American.
you mean like accords and camrys?

Quick Reply: Best advice you got about buying a vehicle?