Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$$$$.....Regular Fuel makes a real difference.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 06:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Some shady gas station owners dilute gasoline with questionable stuff, and they usually do it to regular gas, not premium. Thats something to keep in mind.
Old 09-23-16, 06:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The RX350, ES350, ES300h, NX300h, and CT200h are all tuned to run on regular 87. Everything else from Lexus requires minimum supreme 91. Modern engines and ECU's are smart enough to adjust for knocking and pinging when a lower grade fuel is used, though in the long run its best to run what is required. Recommended is more at discretion.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-23-16 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Some shady gas station owners dilute gasoline with questionable stuff, and they usually do it to regular gas, not premium. Thats something to keep in mind.
Well, in most areas of the U.S., ALL gasoline is diluted with 10% Ethanol (E10) per EPA mandate. California (CARB) has even more restrictive rules in high-smog places like L.A.
Old 09-24-16, 10:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
By the name of the fuel alone, some marketing genius was able to milk money from people unaware of what they're buying. By calling it regular, mid-grade, and premium they imply a quality of the fuel rather than chemistry. Genius. Many folks took hook, line, and sinker. The reality, as many of us know, is that fuel chemistry is important for a machine devised to control an explosion, harness the energy of that explosion, and to move a larger and heavier machine without going into an uncontrolled explosive state that could damage the machine or its operators.

And so car companies jumped on this bandwagon of confusion and provided unnecessary recommendations to make people feel that their premium, expensive machine somehow required "premium" fuel, also at a higher price. Our 4GS machines actually require this chemistry to operate properly and achieve the advertised performance at a ~ 11.5:1 compression ratio. Sure it runs with "regular" 87 octane fuel courtesy of its knock sensor to protect the machine. Compare that to an Acura running at 10:1 compression ratio which "recommends" "premium" grade fuel, and a Honda engine at 10.5:1 that "recommends" "regular" grade fuel.

So my 4GS drinks the expensive stuff and she needs it. Others just drink it because they can.
Additionally, some people just keep doing what they always did. When I was a kid, I had a '78 Malibu wagon. It had horrible knocking, and I frequently needed to use "high-test" fuel to stop the knocking. At some point, I became pro-active instead of reactive, and just used the higher octane as a matter of course, because the knocking was so frequent. I guaranty that there are plenty of people who still think you need to do this, so they just automatically but higher octane.
Old 09-24-16, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Additionally, some people just keep doing what they always did. When I was a kid, I had a '78 Malibu wagon. It had horrible knocking, and I frequently needed to use "high-test" fuel to stop the knocking. At some point, I became pro-active instead of reactive, and just used the higher octane as a matter of course, because the knocking was so frequent. I guaranty that there are plenty of people who still think you need to do this, so they just automatically but higher octane.
I can't say for sure without knowing more about your car, but when an engine that is certified for regular 87 octane starts knocking on it, and requires higher octane to stop the knocking, that often means you have carbon deposits on the pistons and valves artificially creating a higher compression ratio by cutting down on the amount of volume inside the combustion chamber. It's a common problem, and, of course, can be eliminated by a good engine cleaning. I had that on my old '67 Chrysler 383 2-barrel (pinging on the recommended regular gas)...back in those days, of course, you had not only carbon deposits inside the engine, but lead deposits adding to it. That was also (as with your '78) before the time of sophisticated engine computers and knock-sensors that could adjust timing for things like that.
Old 09-24-16, 12:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Can journalists stop using Clickbait or terrible titles on their articles.

1) The article talks about those drivers who have a vehicle speced for 87 but choose to use 91. Not good since the cars timings are designed in mind for highest economy. 91 inside it is going to do nothing. Only had time to scan the article but can anyone verify if they tried dumping 87 in a 91 specd vehicle?
2) The article still recommends that drivers use only the fuel level specd in their manual. So if your car say 87 use 87, if 91 use 91 only
3) The article also points to Top Tier Gasoline to address quality concerns some have with their fuel. If you feel that a non brand name fuel station maybe messing with the gas in regular or giving you lesser quality 91 then use Top tier since it has to be certified (whatever that means who know. For all you know, its just a sticker and permission to charge more per gallon without any actual benefit)
Old 09-24-16, 06:43 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fuel cap says 93 octane minimium, while all I can get here is 91 max.

btw, for a engine like mine, I can clearly tell Shell premium is way better than chervon 91, while they are both tier 1 gasoline. Fuel mileage suffer though, I get at least 15 mikes less off a tank, but the car runs much smoother and eager to rev
Old 09-24-16, 09:38 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 18017
Wife's 2011 Honda Pilot = regular all day long

my Lexus' =premium

per the manufacturer
my 2016 Lexus IS350 = regular
per the manufacturer
Old 09-24-16, 10:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
my 2016 Lexus IS350 = regular
per the manufacturer
That does not sound right.
Old 09-24-16, 10:12 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

It not only sounds right it is true. Look up what the manual says, plus my dealer further confirmed upon the car delivery.
Old 09-24-16, 10:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It not only sounds right it is true. Look up what the manual says, plus my dealer further confirmed upon the car delivery.
Just looked up your manual, it says for optimal performance use 91. It says if you can't find 91 then 87 is OK but it will significantly reduce engine performance.

Doesn't it say use premium on the gas door flap?
Old 09-24-16, 10:38 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

No, my manual says nothing about 'reduction of performance', or 'significant' to boot. It is a known thing that it is useless to use gasoline with higher octane than absolute minimum required. It won't get you any more performance. The Lexus official at the dealership responsible for explaining the technology and acquainting you with the car told me without me even asking - you do NOT need to pour gas higher than 87. The bottom line - you may subscribe to a belief that you are losing some (meaningful/measurable) performance by using the regular - but it is like a religious belief, it is not grounded in any data.
Old 09-24-16, 10:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, my manual says nothing about 'reduction of performance', or 'significant' to boot. It is a known thing that it is useless to use gasoline with higher octane than absolute minimum required. It won't get you any more performance. The Lexus official at the dealership responsible for explaining the technology and acquainting you with the car told me without me even asking - you do NOT need to pour gas higher than 87. The bottom line - you may subscribe to a belief that you are losing some (meaningful/measurable) performance by using the regular - but it is like a religious belief, it is not grounded in any data.
OK. But if you go to Lexus.com and look up the manual, it says 91 for optimal performance. The only Lexus I know of that does not premium is the ES350
Old 09-24-16, 10:54 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

'Optimal' is a vague word, it is poorly defined. How optimality is exactly measured? Are you losing 1% or 0.1% of performance? It is a placebo statement, there are many overly cautious statements like that in the manual - like do not put transmission into park while the vehicle is moving.
Old 09-24-16, 11:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
premium is required when your car is tuned to use premium to achieve the max performance/fuel economy...otherwise you are indeed wasting your money
In my neck of wood, my family uses only Shell premium. Ours cars calls for high Octane gasoline. Can feel when other brand is filled. Well, Porsche engine has knock sensor on each cylinder. ECU will adjust timing when wrong fuel is filled. Also Ethanol blend, too much is bad for the engine.

Quick Reply: $$$$.....Regular Fuel makes a real difference.