Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeep Com-Patriot (Compass) spotted in Brazil

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 01:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jeep Com-Patriot (Compass) spotted in Brazil

The Compass and Patriot are consolidating. Looks like a mini Grand Cherokee! Should sell very well during this CUV craze.

Source and Picture
Old 09-19-16, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, we're in an SUV/CUV craze, but I'm not sure this is a good move....... we'll see, though (I don't want to go too far out on a limb predicting). One thing about the Patriot (even though, in non-Trail-Rated versions, it wasn't much different from the Compass mechanically except for body and interior), is that Jeep traditionalists, not surprisingly, generally preferred its much more traditional styling to the Compass. How well those traditionalists will take to the joining of the two remains to be seen.....although it's difficult to classify the former Compass as an SUV to start with, when it was, in reality, a FWD compact-car platform that was totally unsuited for even the most mild off-roading.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 04:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, we're in an SUV/CUV craze, but I'm not sure this is a good move....... we'll see, though (I don't want to go too far out on a limb predicting). One thing about the Patriot (even though, in non-Trail-Rated versions, it wasn't much different from the Compass mechanically except for body and interior), is that Jeep traditionalists, not surprisingly, generally preferred its much more traditional styling to the Compass. How well those traditionalists will take to the joining of the two remains to be seen.....although it's difficult to classify the former Compass as an SUV to start with, when it was, in reality, a FWD compact-car platform that was totally unsuited for even the most mild off-roading.
The Renegade is the Patriot's spiritual successor, despite them overlapping. Had FCA's product cadence occurred on time, that wouldn't have happened. The Renegade features plenty of the classic Jeep cues. I also wouldn't call any Patriot owner a Jeep traditionalist...
Old 09-19-16, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed

The Renegade is the Patriot's spiritual successor, despite them overlapping.

The Renegade features plenty of the classic Jeep cues.
Style-wise, yes, but not in physical size.....the Renegade is probably too small to be the Patriot's true successor.

I also wouldn't call any Patriot owner a Jeep traditionalist...
No, it's not a hard-core Wrangler in that sense, but I was referring more to the styling, which IS Jeep-traditional.
Old 09-19-16, 05:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Style-wise, yes, but not in physical size.....the Renegade is probably too small to be the Patriot's true successor.
This really wasn't a debate, that's literally right out of a high level product planner's mouth 2 years ago right around Thanksgiving. There was a very conscious decision not to have twin vehicles in the lineup moving forward but they knew they needed a "classic look" Jeep for an affordable price. Which is the Renegade. But yes, the Renegade is indeed shorter while being a good bit wider.

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-19-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 05:17 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

How well those traditionalists will take to the joining of the two remains to be seen.....although it's difficult to classify the former Compass as an SUV to start with, when it was, in reality, a FWD compact-car platform that was totally unsuited for even the most mild off-roading.
In reality, the MK platform allowed for short overhangs and a decent amount of suspension travel. Also Freedom Drive II and all the related off-road accouterments were available on the Compass as of 2014.
Old 09-19-16, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This really wasn't a debate, that's literally right out of a high level product planner's mouth 2 years ago right around Thanksgiving. There was a very conscious decision not to have twin vehicles in the lineup moving forward but they knew they needed a "classic look" Jeep for an affordable price. Which is the Renegade.
Understood, but product planners don't always get it right, especially the first time (for proof, just look at the Cadillac XTS and Lincoln MKS LOL).

They also (obviously) saved a lot of money on the Renegade's design by using what what was basically a Fiat 500X platform, and simply adding a two-box design to it.

But yes, the Patriot is indeed shorter while being a good bit wider.
I think you either confused the two or made a typo. (no problem...I've done that a number of times myself, too). Actually, per Jeep's own web site, the Renegade is shorter (166.6") than the Patriot (173.8"). And, the Renegade is also much wider (79.9") vs. the Patriot's 69.2 ". The Renegade's 79.9" width pretty much matches the more or less standard 80-inch of the old American full-size luxury cars of the 60s and early 70s. I did a review of a Renegade a couple of years ago, and it didn't actually seem that wide...but specs don't lie.

http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/detailed-chart/?modelYearCode=CUJ201609&variation=1

http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/de...Code=CUJ201605

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-16 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 06:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Understood, but product planners don't always get it right, especially the first time (for proof, just look at the Cadillac XTS and Lincoln MKS LOL).
Definitely wasn't passing judgment on what the "right" thing is to do here, just stating the product strategy.

They also (obviously) saved a lot of money on the Renegade's design by using what what was basically a Fiat 500X platform, and simply adding a two-box design to it.
That platform is quite old. In its various forms, it's been a small sedan, small MPV, and even a panel van since 2005.

I think you either confused the two or made a typo. (no problem...I've done that a number of times myself, too). Actually, per Jeep's own web site, the Renegade is shorter (166.6") than the Patriot (173.8"). And, the Renegade is also much wider (79.9") vs. the Patriot's 69.2 ". The Renegade's 79.9" width pretty much matches the more or less standard 80-inch of the old American full-size luxury cars of the 60s and early 70s. I did a review of a Renegade a couple of years ago, and it didn't actually seem that wide...but specs don't lie.

http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/detailed-chart/?modelYearCode=CUJ201609&variation=1

http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/de...Code=CUJ201605
Yes, clearly accidentally reversed the names. Had the Jeep site open and still mixed them up.

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-19-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 09:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So where does this model slot in the lineup??? We have the small Renegade, the CR-V/Rav4 sized Cherokee, and the bigger/way more luxurious Grand Cherokee. If this is going for the same price as the Cherokee, its a no brainer which one I'd buy, the Cherokee is just hideious, this concept/future model looks great.
Old 09-20-16, 09:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So where does this model slot in the lineup??? We have the small Renegade, the CR-V/Rav4 sized Cherokee, and the bigger/way more luxurious Grand Cherokee. If this is going for the same price as the Cherokee, its a no brainer which one I'd buy, the Cherokee is just hideious, this concept/future model looks great.
In between Renegade and Cherokee. The Cherokee is actually a big chunky compared to the CRV. Also look for the Cherokee to begin a push slightly upmarket for the 2018 MY when the front end is...tamed down and the new I4's hit the streets.

Also don't forget the Cherokee gets the V6, while this will not.
Old 09-20-16, 10:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In between Renegade and Cherokee. The Cherokee is actually a big chunky compared to the CRV. Also look for the Cherokee to begin a push slightly upmarket for the 2018 MY when the front end is...tamed down and the new I4's hit the streets.

Also don't forget the Cherokee gets the V6, while this will not.
Yup Jeep is kind of straddling the traditional Compact Utility Segment (RAV/CR-V/Escape,etc). Compass seems to be a bit smaller, while the Cherokee is a bit beefier. Cherokee, ugly as it is, has still sold in decent numbers (aided by tons of incentives).

Hyundai also straddles the segment somewhat, as the Tucson runs a bit on the small side, and then they have Santa Fe Sport on the larger end, with a smallish Midsize 2-Row Utility vehicle.
Old 09-21-16, 12:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This new design throws the whole trendy floating roof thing for a twist. The combination shown here is the exact opposite, with the fronts "unpainted" and the rears painted. Would appear better if there wasn't a chrome window surround blending into the long black region. I find it ridiculous these days we no longer get painted body parts on our pillars, bumpers, and side mirrors, but whatever.
Old 09-21-16, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

The front looks very handsome like it's older brother Grand Cherokee. Wonder what powertrain will motivate it? Likely all 4-cylinders. I doubt it'll have an optional V6 like the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.
Old 09-21-16, 11:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The front looks very handsome like it's older brother Grand Cherokee. Wonder what powertrain will motivate it? Likely all 4-cylinders. I doubt it'll have an optional V6 like the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.
No V6. It will launch with the usual boat anchor FCA I4's. New generation of I4's should be here for the 2018 model year if everything goes according to plan.
Old 09-27-16, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Default Brazil debut, US debut at LA Autoshow in Nov

Gallery

Quick Reply: Jeep Com-Patriot (Compass) spotted in Brazil