Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need help deciding on new GSF or keeping M5

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 04:15 PM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on new GSF or keeping M5

So, as the title says, we are looking for some help with a decision that needs to be made. One of our sales guys currently has a 2013 BMW M5 and is thinking about making the switch to the 2016 Lexus GS-F. What are you thoughts on the switch? Pros, cons.. ready... GO!

Old 09-16-16, 04:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

sell that M5 and get the previous generation M5
Old 09-16-16, 04:29 PM
BigMacs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stroock639
That's the worst idea ever. Go from an M5 that is super simple to mod and gain copious amounts of power with minimal reliability issues to an M5 that is extremely difficult to extract power from and is notoriously unreliable.

-James
Old 09-16-16, 04:49 PM
IndaC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Imo

If $$$$ is not an option, reliability doesn't matter, and depreciation is not important, then keep the m5.
I just drove a rcF, and it was crazy fast. Took it 130mph on the fwy. But IMO the gsF is going to be worth more later, you will have piece of mind with reliability, and is much simpler to wrench on. I just bought front and rear OEM brake pads for my GS350 F sport. Lexus wants $400 to do just the front. I have a family member who works for Toyota corp. So I got front and rear pads for $113.
It will take me longer to jack my car up and remove the wheels than to chang my pads. And I don't need to imput my repairs into the computer, and I heard something like $150 at the bmw dealer just to input that into your car. Bimmers are really nice, and faster. But I am still very happy with just my Fsport. Looks like you track your bimmer, and in that case, bmw would be your better choice, but daily, luxury, reliability, lexus is it.

Last edited by IndaC; 09-16-16 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 09-16-16, 04:53 PM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Still has complete bumper to bumper warranty in effect until March of 2017, so basically EVERYTHING is covered. Thus far, there has been little to no issues with the car, and this M5 is driven much harder than most.
Old 09-16-16, 05:00 PM
IndaC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VividRacing
Still has complete bumper to bumper warranty in effect until March of 2017, so basically EVERYTHING is covered. Thus far, there has been little to no issues with the car, and this M5 is driven much harder than most.
Cool its under warranty, but do you intend to keep it for awhile, or are you trying to just get a different feel for a car, because as far as comparisons go, bmw always seems to win on HP and handling.
Old 09-16-16, 05:14 PM
BigMacs
Driver School Candidate

Completely aware the M5 will outdo the GS-F in the power department. Making 575whp/525wtq with a simply piggyback on 91 octane and no other mods. But this consideration isn't really about power. I don't want something slow and boring, and while the GS-F isn't anywhere near as fast as the M5, it's still not slow and boring.

M5 has full bumper to bumper until March 2017 or 50k. It's at 43k now. After that, it's CPO, so it has another 2 years and 50k of warranty, but I have to start paying for maintenance. Over the last 17 months and 20k miles, it hasn't had a single issue or left me stranded, and I drive it like an absolute idiot, like I do all my vehicles. It gets its teeth kicked in daily. Zero issues. The photo above was taken on the Targa Trophy rally a couple months ago from Los Angeles to Big Bear to Death Valley to Las Vegas. It did 130+ through Death Valley at 115+ degrees for a good 20 or 30 minutes with zero issues. It's been a phenomenal car.

All that said, it's a sinking ship equity wise. $118k MSRP new. I bought it used and CPO with 23k miles on it for $72k in May of last year. That was high trade value at the time. 17 months and 23k miles later, high trade is $55k, and I'd be lucky to get $51k for it. I've considered making the switch into something a bit more reasonable for long term enjoyment, and the GS-F popped up on my radar due to all the rebates and cash back combined with dealers anxious to move the 2016's. Haven't driven one yet though.

I'm assuming the two are cross shopped, and possibly even people on here who have owned both long term and can provide feedback.

I have no issue driving the M5 for another 1-2 years, but if the deal is right, it might make sense to jump out now.

-James
Old 09-16-16, 05:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Go drive GSF - imo power wise it will leave you very disappointed compared to M5 especially if you go over 100mph.
M5 really takes off from there even compared to F80 M3 like I have.

Keep M5 until the CPO warranty ends and then try to get $25-30k for it.
Old 09-16-16, 06:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Wait till next gen M5
Old 09-16-16, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMacs
That's the worst idea ever. Go from an M5 that is super simple to mod and gain copious amounts of power with minimal reliability issues to an M5 that is extremely difficult to extract power from and is notoriously unreliable.

-James
With the M5's specs, how much more power does one NEED?
Old 09-16-16, 08:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
NA V10
Old 09-16-16, 08:15 PM
IndaC
Driver School Candidate

Wait! Have you test drove a gsF yet?
Old 09-17-16, 07:29 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL it's not even a question. Unless your buddy is worried about maintenance costs after the warranty expires, there is not a single reason in the world to downgrade from an M5 to the GSF. The new M5 will likely be released in the next 1.5 years, so your buddy should ditch his current M5 then and get the new one.
Old 09-17-16, 02:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMacs

-James
damn you obviously got #rekt by an E55 at some point

as Hoovey stated, the N/A V10 is the ultimate trump card lol, F10 M5 sounds crap compared to that, plus you'll get people mentioning how the F10 plays engine sound through the speakers and any way you look at it that's a pretty lame thing to do. i don't care how well it works, it's still something that anybody could make fun of.
Old 09-17-16, 02:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With the M5's specs, how much more power does one NEED?
a question no one looking at m5's ever asked.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on new GSF or keeping M5