Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Share your idiot driver complaint of the day

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 07:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Share your idiot driver complaint of the day

Okay, I will go first. Young girl going through the parking lot in a Jeep Compass with some kind of big "balloon" thing in the passenger side so she can't see anything on that side, plus her face in her phone on the driver's side. She not only almost hits me while she plows through the parking lot (and I have the right of way) but she almost hits someone else as well. We both laid on our horns and she seemed oblivious as to what she'd done.

Okay, I know it's a bit juvenile, but she got stuck in a line leaving the parking lot so I pulled up to her, rolled the window down and gave her the finger, along with a few choice words. I then drove back through the parking lot and got a space up front because it took the old fart in that space so long to leave.

Really? People are just driving through parking lots completely oblivious to anyone else that is around them, almost hitting not one but two cars as they go?

Thanks for letting me rant. I'm thinking we need a dedicated forum to share our thoughts on idiot drivers. I am encountering more and more of them.
Old 09-03-16, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A girl trying to drink out of a bottle, talk on her cell phone, and drive all at once.
Old 09-03-16, 08:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is Vegas there are just way too many idiot drivers out there, almost run into one or two or three everyday. As long as they don't put me in danger or get into my way, I usually keep cool about it XD
Old 09-03-16, 11:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just saw this one on the way home today. I40/I24 East near Fesslers Lane in Nashville. Very busy stretch of road, even late at night when I was driving. 4 lane interstate, there are signs for over a mile telling you the interstate splits, I40E left two lanes, I24E right two lanes. I'm cruising along near the split, when a ****ing semi truck in front of me realizes he's in the wrong lane, in the middle left lane going I40E, but he needs to be going I24E, ie the two right lanes. Dude crosses the zebra stripes at the split doing 55-65mph, almost runs out of road and almost hits the big yellow "split sign". Thank god there was nobody there in his blind spot on the right. Dude didn't even signal.

I"ve heard there is a severe shortage of truck drivers in this country. Low pay combined with time away from family equals a lot of turnover. Thus you have a lot of new/noivce drivers and people who shouldn't even be behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler. I mean this manuever this guy did would've been crazy in a normal car, in a loaded down, 80,000lb truck with a 53' trailer, I'm amazed he didn't crash or take somebody out that was in the right lane minding their own business.
Old 09-04-16, 05:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ever since I started riding a motorcycle, I've developed a newfound hate for car drivers. You guys don't even begin to realize what imbeciles vast majority of drivers are until you start riding.
Old 09-04-16, 12:23 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Ever since I started riding a motorcycle, I've developed a newfound hate for car drivers. You guys don't even begin to realize what imbeciles vast majority of drivers are until you start riding.
same here.thats why i gave up riding.in 1984 i sold my bike and the buyer wanted me to drive the bike to his house and as i signal turning into his street i hear the semi behind me locking up his brakes so i turn as fast as i can and nearly avoid a early death,i decided not to ride again.
Old 09-04-16, 01:09 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
same here.thats why i gave up riding.in 1984 i sold my bike and the buyer wanted me to drive the bike to his house and as i signal turning into his street i hear the semi behind me locking up his brakes so i turn as fast as i can and nearly avoid a early death,i decided not to ride again.
it is like cows on a railway track. The road system is designed with 4+ wheelers in mind. The 2 wheelers are an aberration.

The opposite is true in 3rd world nee developing world countries.
Old 09-04-16, 01:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
In 1984 there weren't so many retards distracted with their damn phones. These days its way worse.
Old 09-04-16, 07:22 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah there are jerk riders too. Lots of them are right here in SFO. The whole biker theory that "my pipes are loud on purpose so that you cagers know I am there" is no excuse if you're taking lane splitting to a level where a cager has no time to react to you. Before a driver has a chance to detect from which direction the loud pipes are coming from you're already past him with a 30+MPH gap over his speed.
Old 09-04-16, 08:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
Yeah there are jerk riders too. Lots of them are right here in SFO. The whole biker theory that "my pipes are loud on purpose so that you cagers know I am there" is no excuse if you're taking lane splitting to a level where a cager has no time to react to you. Before a driver has a chance to detect from which direction the loud pipes are coming from you're already past him with a 30+MPH gap over his speed.
Earlier this evening, as we were headed out for dinner on a quiet residential street, I heard one of those loud bikes. My son asked what brand it was, perhaps a Harley? I really did not care, only worried that he would suddenly try to overtake me on that narrow street just because he was riding behind a tree-hugger driving a Hybrid. He (they -- not sure if there was a passenger on the bike) was well-behaved, though, and I turned off that street soon as he went straight ahead. I was glad to get out of there.

I have met too many impatient drivers on these residential roads and some of them can overtake quite dangerously.
Old 09-04-16, 08:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have seen quite a few bad tires this summer.

This summer, which has been a hot one here in Southern Ontario, I have seen a number of vehicles driving around on winter (snow) tires (I seldom if ever saw this in years past). I have no doubt this was due to the new provincial government policy of authorising insurers to offer discounts to people who put on winter tires. The people who left their winter tires on probably 1) forgot to swap them back for all-season tires (very likely IMO), or 2) did not realise that winter tires should only be used in cold weather (very likely also, IMO, given the general lack of knowledge about cars and driving among the general population).

Other things I have seen have been people driving around on tires with excess wear.

A few days ago, as I stopped at a red light, I glanced out to the Chrysler 300 next to me. Its passenger-side front tire was practically bald on the shoulder (the main tread seemed in better shape but I did not get a good look at it and of course, I did not see the inside shoulder), suggesting underinflation, overly hard cornering or improper camber setting.

A few weeks ago, as I was backing in to a parking spot and then getting out of the car, I noticed that the driver-side rear tire on the car next to me (a Corolla, IRC) was badly worn, to the point that the tire no longer appeared to be round. I saw a number of diagonal patches across the tire that were bare of tread pattern, suggesting a tire balance problem or suspension problem.

When I returned to my car later, that Corolla(?) was still there, and as there was no one around, I took a walk around the vehicle, starting at the passenger rear side. What I noticed was one tire in not bad shape, others worn down to dangerous levels (but none like the driver-side rear tire), and what looked to be 3 or 4 different brands of tires on the car, suggesting that the owner replaced tires individually, and on an as-needed basis. My guess was that the driver-side rear tire would be changed next, with whatever tire was available at discounted prices (perhaps even a used tire). We can only hope that the tire and car, and driver survived to that next tire change.

The owner of that car was obviously someone who looked at cars strictly as an appliance, like a toaster, never cleaning it out (inside of the car was filthy) or checking the electrical cable (checking the tires), nor ever taking it in for service (any service technician would have noticed those terrible tires).

A week or so later, I saw another Corolla, in a different parking lot, also with terrible tire problems and differently-branded tires; I don't remember seeing the out-of-balance tire. I was not sure if it was the same car that I had seen before or not.
Old 09-05-16, 03:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
Earlier this evening, as we were headed out for dinner on a quiet residential street, I heard one of those loud bikes. My son asked what brand it was, perhaps a Harley? I really did not care, only worried that he would suddenly try to overtake me on that narrow street just because he was riding behind a tree-hugger driving a Hybrid. He (they -- not sure if there was a passenger on the bike) was well-behaved, though, and I turned off that street soon as he went straight ahead. I was glad to get out of there.

I have met too many impatient drivers on these residential roads and some of them can overtake quite dangerously.
There are bad riders out there, but they don't usually ride very long - they end up earning darwin award pretty quick.
Old 09-05-16, 04:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

99% of the time that I commute into work there's always someone on 495 in the DC area in the left lane going speed limit not passing anyone. And also there are those that drive around with high beams on at night.
Old 09-05-16, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
99% of the time that I commute into work there's always someone on 495 in the DC area in the left lane going speed limit not passing anyone. And also there are those that drive around with high beams on at night.
495 is such a mess, so often, that you're lucky if you can do the 55-MPH limit, even in the left lane. And, when it IS open and flowing smoothly, you've also got occasional jerks in the left-lane doing near triple-digit speeds. Speed-enforcement is almost impossible because of the sheer volume of cars. It, and adjacent portions of 95, is (arguably) the most crowded big-city Interstate in the U.S., for several reasons, chief among them being that, unlike other cities, D.C. does not have a good system of freeways going all the way through the city. Thus, the 495 Beltway has to carry both local commuter traffic, tourist traffic (there are always tourists in this area), and regular north/south commerce/traffic from 95 all together on one roadway....a complete mess.. especially when there is an accident. Plus, this area has a lot of jobs, so commuters come in every day from as far as 100 miles away, adding to gridlock.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-16 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-05-16, 06:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Of the DAY? It should be of the HOUR. There's too many of them out there.

Quick Reply: Share your idiot driver complaint of the day