Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dent and Ding protection

Old 08-25-16, 11:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Dent and Ding protection

One of the best things in modern day car styling is the almost complete absence of door molding. Even worse is when it is added it on as an aftermarket solution. Below are some pics of how ugly and ungainly it can be.

Well, Hyundai USA now has an alternative. Not sure of the price, but I read somewhere on Autoblog that it is $299

Protect your new car from those everyday mishaps.

We'd all like to keep our new cars looking flawless. But since we can't control what's on the road ahead, a few dents and dings are inevitable. Whether it's caused by rogue pebbles on the highway or a runaway shopping cart in the parking lot, our Dent and Ding Protection Program will keep your vehicle free of these unsightly and unavoidable imperfections. The paintless dent repair process permanently removes minor dents without harming the factory finish.

Dent and Ding Protection is also available as part of the Platinum Vehicle Protection Package. Watch the video to learn more.

Reliability and value
  • No limit on number of occurrences or mileage
  • Hail damage covered up to $1,000 per incident
  • Convenient repairs done at your home, office or at a participating Hyundai dealership
  • Transferable coverage may add to your vehicle's resale value if you decide to sell it to a private party
  • Enhanced vehicle appearance—dent-free vehicle could add to trade-in or resale value
Making out-of-pocket expenses manageable
  • No deductible—zero out-of-pocket cost for you at time of claim
  • Convenient payment options – Pay up-front or include a monthly payment within your lease or financing agreement
Contact your local Hyundai dealer to request additional information and confirm their participation in the
Hyundai Protection Plan Program.
  • Convenient payment options – Pay up-front or include a monthly payment within your lease or financing agreement

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-25-16 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 05:11 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

If it actually is only $299, for say, 5 years, that would be worth it. Either way, I would never drive my ES without the factory body-side moldings installed. PDR can only go so far. My wife's CR-V got a door ding within the first few months that chipped the paint. She does not have moldings installed. Never again.
Old 08-26-16, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
If it actually is only $299, for say, 5 years, that would be worth it. Either way, I would never drive my ES without the factory body-side moldings installed. PDR can only go so far. My wife's CR-V got a door ding within the first few months that chipped the paint. She does not have moldings installed. Never again.

Dents and dings are uglier than almost any moulding I've seen.
Old 08-26-16, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, Jill, dent-and-ding-removal services have been around long before Hyundai came up with this program. Two of the more well-known companies are Dent Wizard and Dentworks, though I'm not sure if they operate in Canada where you are. And, of course, for surface (not deep) paint scratches/scuffs/stains/discolorations, the SCRATCH-OUT bottle that I often recommend works very well...though it obviously doesn't take out actual dents.

Personally, I blame much (though not all) of the problem on not only careless kids and adults with their bicycles and shopping carts, but also on construction/paving companies and accident clean-up crews...they leave cinders, gravel, vehicle-parts, and debris on the road that SHOULD be thoroughly cleaned up and swept, but aren't. In the winter, the road crews also dump gravel and abrasives on the road that get kicked up by vehicle tires and do damage to the finish and trim.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 06:36 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the same type thing from my Lexus dealer except for $595. Mine is called "Ding Shield" by Dent Wizard.
Old 08-26-16, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Yeah every car I've bought over the last 20 years or so there has been available a "dent and ding" package like this, nothing new.

Somehow, knock on wood, I've been able to drive cars without any door moldings for dent prevention and not receive many dings. I think I had one ding on my 2010 ES350 that was removed, and that was caused by someone actually opening the rear door out into something, and I had one on my 2003 ES that was in a location where moldings would not have helped me. I park carefully, but not insanely so.

I think those door moldings are so hideous. I saw one on a 4GS yesterday that was installed improperly where the front end was higher than the back end, terrible...why people stick these on to avoid small dings that most people won't even notice that can be removed for $120 is beyond me.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-26-16 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Somehow, knock on wood, I've been able to drive cars without any door moldings for dent prevention and not receive many dings. I think I had one ding on my 2010 ES350 that was removed, and that was caused by someone actually opening the rear door out into something, and I had one on my 2003 ES that was in a location where moldings would not have helped me. I park carefully, but not insanely so.
You also have a two-car garage, don't you? Many of us don't have that luxury.

I think those door moldings are so hideous.
Perhaps so, but in my book, they aren't as ugly as dents and dings. I'd rather have the lesser of two evils, though, of course, simple moldings by themselves don't guarantee that dents and dings won't happen.
Old 08-26-16, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You also have a two-car garage, don't you? Many of us don't have that luxury.
I have a garage, but my car is parked in parking lots multiple times a day every day. My wife parks her car in lots all the time, and unlike me she doesn't park carefully at all...she doesn't get dings either.

Perhaps so, but in my book, they aren't as ugly as dents and dings. I'd rather have the lesser of two evils, though, of course, simple moldings by themselves don't guarantee that dents and dings won't happen.
Thats my point, at this point dents and dings are easy and inexpensive to correct. If you park carefully you might get one ding every 6-7 years....$125 to repair that. Why would you want to drive around with ugly moldings every day to potentially avoid one ding every 6-7 years that it would cost $125 to repair? And again, the moldings don't guarantee no dings, and if painted moldings are impacted by a door, they too are going to have damage, and that damage can't be repaired with PDR, leading you to have to replace the molding which costs as much or more than PDR...
Old 08-26-16, 05:21 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd rather a door ding, over a door molding....
if you park away, and walk the extra 20 yards, you more than likely won't get the ding
Old 08-26-16, 05:25 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We stopped at a park in San Bruno to eat our sandwiches and guess what happened. One of those acorn/chestnut-looking things fell from about 80' up a Eucalyptus tree and put a dimple in my roof right in front of the moonroof
I sure hope that ding fixer can fix that.
Funny aint it?
Old 08-26-16, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats my point, at this point dents and dings are easy and inexpensive to correct. If you park carefully you might get one ding every 6-7 years....$125 to repair that. Why would you want to drive around with ugly moldings every day to potentially avoid one ding every 6-7 years that it would cost $125 to repair?
If you are fortunate enough to be in that position, fine. In the condo development where I live, there are a number of nut-producing trees that shed nuts and other tree-droppings like clockwork every spring and fall.....and many of the assigned parking spaces are right under them. One can park in an unassigned space (no number)...but they are not always available, or are under trees themselves. Added to that, of course, are careless children with bikes/scooters, and careless adults hauling things in and out. Yes, I could move, but why do that?...my place is paid off, and my age and health are getting to the point where, living alone, I probably couldn't take care of a larger home with a garage.

And again, the moldings don't guarantee no dings, and if painted moldings are impacted by a door, they too are going to have damage, and that damage can't be repaired with PDR, leading you to have to replace the molding which costs as much or more than PDR...
True. It depends on the shape of the object hitting the side of the car vs. the position/alignment of the moulding.
Old 08-26-16, 10:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Marshall, I've been thinking about moving and I won't even consider a condo unless it has a garage or parking in the back under a carport right behind my unit(ie MY SPOTS) I stress way too much about my cars to have them parked in a lot with other people who don't respect other people's property or just simply don't know how to freaking drive/park and run into people's cars.

Oh and those paintless dent dudes are pretty damn awesome. Sometimes they'll work with you on price if you remove and install the interior trim/door panel or whatever is in their way so they can get to the back of the sheetmetal to massage the dent out.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-26-16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Marshall, I've been thinking about moving and I won't even consider a condo unless it has a garage or parking in the back under a carport right behind my unit(ie MY SPOTS) I stress way too much about my cars to have them parked in a lot with other people who don't respect other people's property or just simply don't know how to freaking drive/park and run into people's cars.
Hi-rise condos, of course, often have parking garages underground or on the first floor.

Oh and those paintless dent dudes are pretty damn awesome. Sometimes they'll work with you on price if you remove and install the interior trim/door panel or whatever is in their way so they can get to the back of the sheetmetal to massage the dent out.
The OP article doesn't specifically state it, but I suspect that the Hyundai Protection Program probably uses Dent Wizard, Dentworks, or a similar company as a contractor, much that same way that the Roadside Assistance Programs often use AAA.
Old 08-27-16, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are fortunate enough to be in that position, fine. In the condo development where I live, there are a number of nut-producing trees that shed nuts and other tree-droppings like clockwork every spring and fall.....and many of the assigned parking spaces are right under them. One can park in an unassigned space (no number)...but they are not always available, or are under trees themselves. Added to that, of course, are careless children with bikes/scooters, and careless adults hauling things in and out. Yes, I could move, but why do that?...my place is paid off, and my age and health are getting to the point where, living alone, I probably couldn't take care of a larger home with a garage.
Door protectors won't provide you any protection from those nut producing trees. They won't protect you from careless children with bikes or scooters, or careless adults banging things into your car. Thats my point, these moldings offer VERY limited protection and the tradeoff is they're really ugly.

Even from door dings, cars are all shapes and sizes. One two inch strip won't protect from cars with doors with higher edges which don't line up along that strip...
Old 08-27-16, 10:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I can see the potential benefit from side moldings, but they are just not my cup of tea. Most of them just shout add on and don't do any favors for the lines of the car. Some of my peers (old guys) seem to favor them, and I see some who have applied chrome-look moldings that make them stand out even more. Some cars with this look have added other chrome bits and pieces to the car. I've never had any major problems with doors dings that would motivate me to have them. To each their own though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dent and Ding protection