Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru EV coming to the U.S. market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Subaru EV coming to the U.S. market?

After a number of years of straddling the fence in the U.S., it looks look like Subie is finally going to go the electric car route, though the Crosstrek Hybrid, an Impreza-based gas/electric hybrid, has been available for some time now.

I've long-felt that Subaru does some of the best car-based AWD systems in the industry....simple, reliable, and balanced (symmetrical), but that the flat-four engines (particularly the N/A 2.5L four) lag behind their competitors somewhat in long--term durability. I'm also not sold on the long-term durability of their CVT automatics. A full-electric vehicle, of course, would do away with both.

http://www.insidercarnews.com/subaru...t-on-ev-model/

It had to happen sooner or later. Japanese media is reporting that Subaru will join the US electric vehicle market in 2021 with a new crossover model. So far, the automaker isn’t confirming or denying the reports.

» Related: Subaru Hits 3 Million Vehicles Built In US

Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper, says the EV will be built on the future Forester or Outback platforms. Considering both are pretty obvious candidates for that kind of undertaking, that’s likely just a lucky guess.

Earlier in 2016, the Subaru Global Architecture platform was unveiled. Besides being scalable, it can accommodate traditional, hybrid and pure EV setups. So really it’s not a surprise that Subaru is going to actually do something fully-electric.

The next-generation Subaru Forester and Outback are slated to launch for the 2020 model year. That would give engineers a little bit of time to work out the kinks for a new EV.

Even though Subaru has never sold an EV in the United States, this isn’t uncharted territory for the company. In Japan, it used to make the Stella EV minicar, but that project was wound down years ago. Obviously, this mysterious crossover will be pretty different, and could be one of the first mass-produced off-road-worthy electric vehicle, which would be a big deal.

Read more: http://www.insidercarnews.com/subaru...#ixzz4II9EWm3y
Old 08-25-16, 10:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2021????

Subaru has been painfully slow to get into electric and hybrid tech - even the XV Crosstrek Hybrid is just very mild hybrid yielding avg 30mpg. I wish they would just use TOYMOCO synergy drive and be done with it....zero development costs and reliable as hell!

Tough to argue with their sales numbers tho.
Old 08-25-16, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
2021????
Tough to argue with their sales numbers tho.
They have a following that borders on cult-like. And, when you look at how those vehicles simply laugh at winter snowstorms, it's not hard to see why. They need to work on their gas-engine durability, though.....it is not up to the standards of other Japanese-brand competitors, though, of course, electric motors are another whole ball-game.
Old 08-28-16, 01:36 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a few years down the road, which may work for me. I still don't know how a full EV will survive a Montreal winter or going for long road trips. I can only hope by 2020, we will see more quick charging stations.

I am looking forward to seeing the next generation Outback/Forester, seeing I am looking to get one, seeing they are the safest and most cost efficient vehicles on the road.
Old 08-29-16, 09:13 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
That is a few years down the road, which may work for me. I still don't know how a full EV will survive a Montreal winter or going for long road trips. I can only hope by 2020, we will see more quick charging stations.
It is bothersome how much more EV range seems susceptible to harsh weather conditions than their ICE counterparts.
Old 08-29-16, 10:39 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
It is bothersome how much more EV range seems susceptible to harsh weather conditions than their ICE counterparts.
I think it all depends on the use of materials for what goes into making a battery. I am hopeful that someone does crack it soon and it wont be an issue.