Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static-Inspection: 2017 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 06:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as the TPP goes in the U.S., much depends on the election, who wins the Presidency, and the makeup of the next Congress. Trump is strongly opposed to the TPP.....Hillary's position seems to be unclear (not that that matters, since many people don't believe her anyway). Trump also wants a 35% tariff on goods produced overseas by American manufacturers.....just think of what that would do to all the cheap stuff we import from China every day, not to mention a 60K (in American dollars) Envision
It won't happen. Trump and Hillary have well-established track records of globalism in the sense of maximizing profits. There is nothing either of them can say that will stop the TPP. The signatories to the deal have already agreed because those people are owned and put in place by the very entities that cooked up the TPP in the first place. TPP could actually have a beneficial effect. It could lower some tariffs and make even more consumer items available for even cheaper prices.

What is concerning about TPP is how long it's going to take China to insist on bringing its Chinese clone-vehicles, copied from western car companies they've bought wholesale, into North America. The TPP was secretive for a very good reason.
Old 08-23-16, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I agree with Jill, it is an insult and a stab in the eye to places like Flint Michigan to make this car in China.
Oh, I'm not saying it's not an insult. I just pointed out, to Jill, that if it IS an insult, it is only the latest in a long line of insults, considering that many of the day-to-day goods that we buy in department stores also come from China. And, if not from China itself, from other countries in the region.....Taiwan, Pakistan, Phillipines, Thailand, etc.....
Old 08-23-16, 07:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I agree with Jill, it is an insult and a stab in the eye to places like Flint Michigan to make this car in China.
Let's all just hope the Envision and CT6 Hybrid fail in the North America. If GM succeeds you can bet they will be making more and more models in China and exporting them to North America. That is a sham!

Old 08-23-16, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Let's all just hope the Envision and CT6 Hybrid fail in the North America. If GM succeeds you can bet they will be making more and more models in China and exporting them to North America. That is a sham!
Well, you just might get your wish, if they don't do something about the Envision's front seats. I don't think many Americans my size are going to be impressed with those flat, undersized, under-padded, and virtually non-bolstered seats. And even smaller persons than me, who can match the seat's size better, will probably find the bottom cushion uncomfortable. My prediction is that this could (?) be a deal-breaker for some buyers. And Buick doesn't have to spend a lot of money correcting it, either. They already have more comfortable seats in some of their other models, so all they would have to do is grab some of those seats from the parts-bin, and maybe redesign the Envision's seat-mounts mounts a little to ft them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 12:43 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Dash and most areas facing the driver seem overstyled. There are gashes, angles, swirls, changes of surface plains, and shapes merging into each other all over the place. Way too busy.
Old 08-24-16, 02:42 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Dash and most areas facing the driver seem overstyled. There are gashes, angles, swirls, changes of surface plains, and shapes merging into each other all over the place. Way too busy.
That's a complaint I've had against Cadillac cars since they introduced the CUE infotainment system. Apparently at GM, the busier you make things look, the more luxury it looks.
Old 08-24-16, 03:12 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree. Went to check out the new Acadia and there was an Envision in the showroom. Sticker was 43k but the interior/dash was very busy. Also, the doors were mostly hard plastic. Not very becoming of a 40k plus vehicle.
Old 08-24-16, 06:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
I agree. Went to check out the new Acadia and there was an Envision in the showroom. Sticker was 43k but the interior/dash was very busy. Also, the doors were mostly hard plastic. Not very becoming of a 40k plus vehicle.
And something inside, though, gives off a rather unpleasant smell (I mentioned that in the write-up).....I don't know if it is the plastic, vinyl, leather, or a combination of them. Definitely not the new car smell you get inside the typical new vehicle.
Old 08-24-16, 07:23 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Well if it survived the shipping process on rough seas, I guess its built good enough eh? My only concern would be more set with long term quality, if the initial quality looks good. MIC products tend to be able replicate the initial look and feel, but long term quality is a whole another ball game.
Old 08-24-16, 07:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

So you think a Chinese-made car is an insult? Next time you're at Walmart's, Target, or almost any discount/department store, take a look at most of the labels on what you're buying. Your own house is (probably) full of Chinese-made stuff.
I get her point though. How many chinese things that costs $42k to $45k are you willing to buy? Toilet seat cover for $10 bucks at Walmart, sure?
Old 08-24-16, 07:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Has very little to do with National Pride for me. I am all for building a car where you sell it, but I also understand that at some point a car like a Corolla or Civic just cannot be made in the US or Canada because of costs.

But for an American company like GM who were bailed out and have the hardest time fighting the imports, to make a $42K Buick or a $80K CT6 in China and the send them to the USA is insulting and unacceptable.
Agreed. That's my tax money!!!!
Old 08-24-16, 07:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

And something inside, though, gives off a rather unpleasant smell (I mentioned that in the write-up).....I don't know if it is the plastic, vinyl, leather, or a combination of them. Definitely not the new car smell you get inside the typical new vehicle.
Just google Lumber Luquidators and chinese made lumber if you didnt already know. I would be very weary of the paint, plastic, glue, general materials being used. Who know's what is used to manufacture or treat each part. When you have a country pumping chemicals into shrimps to make it seem plump and fresh.....
Old 08-24-16, 08:18 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Caddy's base-level XT5, which is roughly the same size as an Environ, actually undercuts the Environ's base price by some 3-4K. ($38,995 vs. $42,070).

IMO, the Chinese public are the ones that have driven up Buick prices by their relentless love for the brand, and the demand it has brought for their products. Remember, the Communist economy in China, with its rigidly state-controlled pricing, went away years ago...the country, today, economic-wise, is "Communist" in name only, but without free elections. The huge increase in Chinese living standards has brought rapidly increasing demand for Western-style goods...especially Buicks. Having said that, though, I still think the Verano is an excellent bargain at 25K....probably more so than any other Buick....but it is being tossed from the American market so Buick can use the plant space to build more still-more SUVs here at home.
That's because you're comparing a "Base" XT5 to the upper level Envisions, which were the only ones available for 2016 model year. The full line of Envisions, coming available with the 2017 models, starts lower at $34,065.

But no. pricing in China has no bearing on what price Buick can and should be charging here in the U.S. market. You are apparently one of the few people that thought of the Verano being an "excellent bargain" as it's set to leave the U.S. market later this year.
Old 08-24-16, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I get her point though. How many chinese things that costs $42k to $45k are you willing to buy? Toilet seat cover for $10 bucks at Walmart, sure?
Exactly. To compare something like a toilet seat to a $42K Buick is absurd. The larger point is that GM is not doing the auto industry in the United States any good by doing this. Long term implications are not good.

I can fully understand moving a lower priced car to Mexico in the case of the Toyota Corolla. Economics are going to force this, bit at least Toyota plans to move higher priced SUV production to the plant that is losing the Corolla production.

In the case of GM and Buick and even more so the Cadillac CT6, it should a matter of national pride for GM to be building their cars, especially ones that cost $42K in the United States.
Old 08-24-16, 08:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
But no. pricing in China has no bearing on what price Buick can and should be charging here in the U.S. market. You are apparently one of the few people that thought of the Verano being an "excellent bargain" as it's set to leave the U.S. market later this year.
If I were a betting woman, I am willing to bet that a new Chevy Cruze based Cadillac Verano replacement is coming. Even worse, I have a feeling it will be made in China.

Quick Reply: MM Static-Inspection: 2017 Buick Envision