Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 02:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
I'm considering a used 2013 GS 350, but I'm not concerned about brand image. What non-luxury branded car can compete with it in terms of reliability, interior, features, and cabin noise? If none, then that's what I would say is the point of owning a luxury car.
Since you did not list driving dynamics as one of your criteria(perhaps the best thing about the RWD GS), go take a look at a new Avalon, the all new 2017 Buick LaCrosse, the new Nissan Maxima, the Hyundia Genesis, Acura TLX, a loaded Honda Accord Touring, and an Infiniti Q50(without the drive by wire steering). I think you'd be suprised by some of those cars. Granted they are going to cost more than a 2013 GS, brutal depreciation has made a used GS a real good value for $$$$$.
Old 08-25-16, 02:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to disagree. Many buyers have spent their hard-earned $$$$$$ on image and have gotten burned. A corporate reputation has to be earned.....it can't be bought by corporate PR people and their ad-dollars.
image comes from a lot more than PR and ads.

Look at the mess VW has gotten into with image. For years, they have touted themselves as one of the world's largest companies (which they are, outside of the U.S.)....and now we find out that their diesel-emissions system was designed by crooks.
I think you've contradicted yourself by saying their bad actions have damaged their image yet you say image is irrelevant.
Old 08-25-16, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
image comes from a lot more than PR and ads.

I think you've contradicted yourself by saying their bad actions have damaged their image yet you say image is irrelevant.
No...what I said was that buyers who purchase primarily on image sometimes get burned.
Old 08-25-16, 11:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many buyers have spent their hard-earned $$$$$$ on image and have gotten burned. .
And on the other side, I am sure there are many buyers who choose not to spend their hard-earned $$$$$$ on image, but yet they have been burned as well. But on the point of this thread, a luxury brand conveys something that a non-luxury brand does not. Two cars can be similarly equipped yet the the luxury branded model will mean more. There will always be a market for these types of products. People will pay for them.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-25-16 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And on the other side, I am sure there are many buyers who choose not to spend their hard-earned $$$$$$ on image, but yet they have been burned as well.
Oh, sure. I wasted a number of $$$$$ myself, in the late 1970s and early 80s, buying the awful Detroit-badged FWD junk of the period, before I finally got it into my head that the domestic-badged cars of the period just weren't cutting it....and switched to Mazdas. Today, off course, the domestics are much better....and the Koreans are also stiff competition, which was not the case then.

But on the point of this thread, a luxury brand conveys something that a non-luxury brand does not. Two cars can be similarly equipped yet the the luxury branded model will mean more. There will always be a market for these types of products. People will pay for them.
Well, yes, but the question (and one of the main topics of this thread) is....are those extra $$$$ for the upscale/premium brand worth it? That is what we are discussing...and why each buyer has to discuss for himself or herself. For example, in my specific case, I felt that the extra money for a Verano over a Cruze was justified.....but it would not have been justified moving up to a similiar-sized Cadillac ATS. For my tastes, I felt the ATS too overpriced, too stiff-riding, and too plain inside for a Cadillac nameplate. Now, if I had wanted a BMW 3-series beater in the handling department, then, yes, I would have considered an ATS....it handles (figuratively speaking) llke an Formula 1 car.
Old 08-26-16, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Interesting discussion.

I've made this point before, that we're living in a time when "ordinary people" have access to better cars than they have probably since the 50s and 60s. Economy cars, midsize cars, etc have a lot more flair, quality, technology, enjoyability. My cousin just bought a new Civic and its really nice, great looking, fun to drive, has a lot of neat tech and it isn't even loaded. Ton of motoring enjoyment for $23k. If you compare it to what a Civic was just 5 years ago its significant, go 10 years, even moreso. There are plenty of mainstream cars out there today I would happily buy and drive.

People will always buy luxury cars though. They will continue to push the envelope and make them even better. Whenever you try and "quantify" the value of something that is a luxury it will come up short. The intangibles are what people pay huge premiums for.

What about a Rolex makes it worth $20,000 over a $200 Seiko? What about a room at the Ritz Carlton make it worth $800 a night when a Marriott might be $200? What makes a First Class ticket worth $6,000 when a business class ticket is $3,000 and a coach ticket is $1,200? If you just line up the tangible, factual benefits you will always come to the conclusion that these luxury products are not worthwhile, but luxury can't be quantified just by factual, tangible benefits.
Old 08-26-16, 10:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The reason I would buy a "luxury" car is also due to the dealer service. This may not be true with BMW, but Lexus and Infiniti have treated me very well and have offered loaner cars for the most routine service. In my experience, the mainstream brands do not offer the same experience. Even their showrooms are down market.

I leased a new Honda Accord for my cousin, and when I drove the top-of-the-line Touring version I was quite impressed. I considered one for about a minute, until I realized the wood is fake. Yet another reason to go for a luxury car with higher quality materials. Her battery died (incredible in a new Accord), but Roadside Assistance came and made it right. That is yet another way the luxury and mainstream brands are converging.

On another topic, what is the VW equivalent of an Audi S5, and why would you not consider it "luxury enough". Do you think an A8 is not luxury enough? If you don't think it is, go check it out. ;-)
Some are not that concerned with the dealership experience as far as it having a fancy waiting room, when I buy a car I want to spend as little time as possible in the dealership which is why I do as much maintenance as I can so I can also make sure no corners were cut. I don't even use the Lexus dealership close to me because it is so expensive compared to the Toyota dealership for the same service. Free loaner cars are nice though which is what I would prefer if I have to get work done at the dealership.

You expect a mainstream family sedan like a Accord to have real wood trim and did not choose it even though the you liked the rest because it didn't have real wood trim? I have never heard of that? I don't think any mainstream family sedan uses real wood trim for very long time aside from maybe a VW model, it is extremely rare to find real wood trim from any non luxury mainstream make for any vehicle, I think a version of the Mazda CX-9 and a top Buick have real wood trim but that is about it these days. Most of the "real" wood trim in most luxury cars is actually just a very very fine thin sliver of real wood glued to a piece of plastic, not really all that luxurious especially when most wood trim is so polished, lacquered, and shiny it looks just like simulated wood trim.

The difference between lux cars and mainstream cars is becoming smaller and smaller I have noticed over the years especially with the awful trend of lux makers sticking more 4 cylinders in more and bigger vehicles. Luxury makers need to step up their game when it comes to lux cars and start making more lux features standard and adding new ones so the difference is clearer.
Old 08-26-16, 05:21 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Interesting discussion.

I've made this point before, that we're living in a time when "ordinary people" have access to better cars than they have probably since the 50s and 60s. Economy cars, midsize cars, etc have a lot more flair, quality, technology, enjoyability. My cousin just bought a new Civic and its really nice, great looking, fun to drive, has a lot of neat tech and it isn't even loaded. Ton of motoring enjoyment for $23k. If you compare it to what a Civic was just 5 years ago its significant, go 10 years, even moreso. There are plenty of mainstream cars out there today I would happily buy and drive.

People will always buy luxury cars though. They will continue to push the envelope and make them even better. Whenever you try and "quantify" the value of something that is a luxury it will come up short. The intangibles are what people pay huge premiums for.

What about a Rolex makes it worth $20,000 over a $200 Seiko? What about a room at the Ritz Carlton make it worth $800 a night when a Marriott might be $200? What makes a First Class ticket worth $6,000 when a business class ticket is $3,000 and a coach ticket is $1,200? If you just line up the tangible, factual benefits you will always come to the conclusion that these luxury products are not worthwhile, but luxury can't be quantified just by factual, tangible benefits.
Steve, you have to update those airline ticket prices If a long haul coach ticket is 1,200 as it often is (let's just say from USA to Asia), a business class is about $6,000, and a first class ticket well into the $12,000 or higher.

In addition, those "ordinary" people also now have access to driving entry level luxury cars. 3 series, CLA, for $199 a month lease? pretty much anyone and their mom can afford that.
Old 08-26-16, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Steve, you have to update those airline ticket prices If a long haul coach ticket is 1,200 as it often is (let's just say from USA to Asia), a business class is about $6,000, and a first class ticket well into the $12,000 or higher.

In addition, those "ordinary" people also now have access to driving entry level luxury cars. 3 series, CLA, for $199 a month lease? pretty much anyone and their mom can afford that.
Let's just say I don't buy first class tickets, and now that I have 18 month old twins I don't buy ANY plane tickets haha

That CLA for $199 is pretty crummy though. I'd much rather have a nice Mazda...but your point is taken.
Old 08-26-16, 07:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Let's just say I don't buy first class tickets, and now that I have 18 month old twins I don't buy ANY plane tickets haha

That CLA for $199 is pretty crummy though. I'd much rather have a nice Mazda...but your point is taken.
That was my point earlier, those entry level $199 a month lease special BMW, Benz, and Audi A3 are pretty crap car cars IMO. You need to spend 40-45k minimum to get into a decent German luxury car that is well optioned and has a decent engine under the hood. Even then I don't think a $45k BMW 328i is going to have as many bells and whistles, as much room, or as much horsepower as something like a $30-35k Fusion Sport or Accord Touring.
Old 08-26-16, 08:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Some are not that concerned with the dealership experience as far as it having a fancy waiting room, when I buy a car I want to spend as little time as possible in the dealership which is why I do as much maintenance as I can so I can also make sure no corners were cut. I don't even use the Lexus dealership close to me because it is so expensive compared to the Toyota dealership for the same service. Free loaner cars are nice though which is what I would prefer if I have to get work done at the dealership.

You expect a mainstream family sedan like a Accord to have real wood trim and did not choose it even though the you liked the rest because it didn't have real wood trim? I have never heard of that? I don't think any mainstream family sedan uses real wood trim for very long time aside from maybe a VW model, it is extremely rare to find real wood trim from any non luxury mainstream make for any vehicle, I think a version of the Mazda CX-9 and a top Buick have real wood trim but that is about it these days. Most of the "real" wood trim in most luxury cars is actually just a very very fine thin sliver of real wood glued to a piece of plastic, not really all that luxurious especially when most wood trim is so polished, lacquered, and shiny it looks just like simulated wood trim.

The difference between lux cars and mainstream cars is becoming smaller and smaller I have noticed over the years especially with the awful trend of lux makers sticking more 4 cylinders in more and bigger vehicles. Luxury makers need to step up their game when it comes to lux cars and start making more lux features standard and adding new ones so the difference is clearer.
No, I don't want a car with fake wood, but then I'm not shopping in the mainstream sedan category. My S5 has real carbon fiber and, if I had optioned it as such, real wood. And no, I really don't need a fancy waiting room, even if it adds to the upscale experience, because I get loaners when I take my cars in for service. I doubt Honda would do that. Everyone has their own wants/needs.

I do agree with you that lux manufacturers putting 4 cylinder engines under the hood is not especially pleasing, but they also have to follow CAFE standards for fuel economy and it seems the Audi A4 with the 4 cylinder turbo is quite the car... with real wood.

Last edited by dseag2; 08-26-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 01:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Kia has more features than my X6M, lmao
Old 08-27-16, 03:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
and it's not even loaded!
Old 08-27-16, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Yeah, the Germans are not known for giving you a lot for the money. Kia and Hyundai made at least part of their reputation on being cost-friendly.
Old 08-27-16, 03:13 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think part of the question is what is considered "Luxury" anymore as the lines get blurred. Mercedes is certainly a "Luxury Brand" but is the CLA250 a Luxury car? It is tiny inside, has a very stiff ride, is noisy, and the transmission shifting at low speeds is rough. The newest Ford Fusion includes a Platinum series which has a plush interior with real leather seats, good room, a smooth quiet ride, etc. Given that Ford is not a "Luxury Brand", the Platinum level Fusion is certainly more luxurious than a CLA. For about the same price, I'll take the Ford!

Quick Reply: What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?