Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 12:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my GT Premium pretty much all the stuff my 06/14 IS have had: keyless entry, pushbutton start, heated ventilated seats. As more non luxury cars are getting what used to be luxury features, there is less of a reason to get a luxury car.
Old 08-24-16, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
my GT Premium pretty much all the stuff my 06/14 IS have had: keyless entry, pushbutton start, heated ventilated seats. As more non luxury cars are getting what used to be luxury features, there is less of a reason to get a luxury car.
One of the last remaining features of luxury/upscale vehicles is generally longer drivetrain and bumper-to-bumper warranties....unless, of course, you have a Hyundai or Kia.
Old 08-24-16, 06:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

1) I will never consume automotive news from Jalopnik

2) There will always be a market that appreciates the details and comforts provided by luxury cars that non-luxury can provide. Of course, there is a large segment of people that are more practical and don't need those extra comforts. I would make the argument that with the advent of the internet, quality and features will overall make improvements.
Old 08-24-16, 07:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Which other Toyotas have this, I think it is just the Land Cruiser. The 2013-15 Avalon does not, my father and I test drove it and we noticed that it did not have it.
my 2012 Sienna has this feature.
Old 08-24-16, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

haven't read all this thread, but luxury vehicles are driven along multiple vectors:

1. interior/exterior design/trim/materials
2. performance, refinement, suspension sophistication, and in particular 'effortless performance' and handling
3. 'image' of the brand

rarely do vehicles cover all 3 but here's a look at what the permutations are:

so the answer to the original question is it depends on what you consider important as 'luxury'.
i personally don't really care about brand image, but i know it's HUGELY important to some people.
i care greatly about item 1 and slightly less so item 2, so it brings a huge array of vehicles into my definition of luxury.
Old 08-25-16, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haven't read all this thread, but luxury vehicles are driven along multiple vectors:

1. interior/exterior design/trim/materials
2. performance, refinement, suspension sophistication, and in particular 'effortless performance' and handling
3. 'image' of the brand
Longer standard factory warranties on upscale/luxury-class vehicles are also a significant selling point, except for maybe Hyundai and Kia.

3. 'image' of the brand
"Image", IMO, is probably the most oversold idea in the auto industry today. Look at all of the Mercedes buyers, for example, who got stuck with expensive lemons from the late 1990s through the late 2000s. And Land Rovers, the classic country-club SUV, after decades, still rank well below average in reliability by today's standards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-16 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 07:17 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Longer standard factory warranties on upscale/luxury-class vehicles are also a significant selling point, except for maybe Hyundai and Kia.

"Image", IMO, is probably the most oversold idea in the auto industry today. Look at all of the Mercedes buyers, for example, who got stuck with expensive lemons from the late 1990s through the late 2000s. And Land Rovers, the classic country-club SUV, after decades, still rank well below average in reliability by today's standards.
They don't seem to have any problem overselling it, but that's the way the world works. Image over substance and quality. Just look at television programming, as one example. Same with sports on TV...all razzle dazzle , singing and dancing (NFL anyway). Cut that stuff out and concentrate on the actual game
Old 08-25-16, 07:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i don't think it's a 'significant' selling point, since you can extend any factory warranty for not that much.

to you. meanwhile, millions have owned and loved mercedes and land rovers, AND loved the image, despite the problems which CR over blows. everyone would like perfect reliability, but not everyone has reliability as their top priority. again my grid was what i consider main factors for luxury vehicles, and image is hugely important to a huge percentage of luxury vehicle buyers regardless of what you and i think about it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-25-16 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 07:54 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the most important and valuable part of any motor company. Anyone can build a factory and build good quality cars these days, there's nothing hi tech about it. The true value is in the brand - that's why it's carefully nurtured, protected and grown. Any auto maker that doesn't understand that is doomed to failure, in fact history is littered with them.
Old 08-25-16, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think it's a 'significant' selling point, since you can extend any factory warranty for not that much.
Fair point...I won't ague that. But dealerships can vary quite a bit in how much they sell those warranties for, unless the factory has a rigid, non-negotiable price on it.

meanwhile, millions have owned and loved mercedes and land rovers, AND loved the image, despite the problems which CR over blows. everyone would like perfect reliability, but not everyone has reliability as their top priority. again my grid was what i consider main factors for luxury vehicles, and image is hugely important to a huge percentage of luxury vehicle buyers regardless of what you and i think about it.

Oh, sure, lots of owners are satisfied with their purchases, even with poor reliability (Charger/Challenger jocks prove that). But, IMO, one should not have to put up with lower-than-average reliability when triple-digit (or close to triple-digit) sums are being spent. I wouldn't.....though I haven't (yet) actually owned something that expensive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 09:50 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm considering a used 2013 GS 350, but I'm not concerned about brand image. What non-luxury branded car can compete with it in terms of reliability, interior, features, and cabin noise? If none, then that's what I would say is the point of owning a luxury car.
Old 08-25-16, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree, a longer warranty is not all a "significant" factor. Its an "expected" factor.

Then you obviously miss the point with so much of the auto industry. "Image" is not an oversold idea, car manufactures spend millions upon millions of dollars to promote their brand. What the brand means to you or me or to someone else is so vitally important.

Originally Posted by Big Andy
It's the most important and valuable part of any motor company. Anyone can build a factory and build good quality cars these days, there's nothing hi tech about it. The true value is in the brand - that's why it's carefully nurtured, protected and grown. Any auto maker that doesn't understand that is doomed to failure, in fact history is littered with them.
Best post of the thread. You are completely spot on
Old 08-25-16, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Then you obviously miss the point with so much of the auto industry. "Image" is not an oversold idea, car manufactures spend millions upon millions of dollars to promote their brand. What the brand means to you or me or to someone else is so vitally important.
I have to disagree. Many buyers have spent their hard-earned $$$$$$ on image and have gotten burned. A corporate reputation has to be earned.....it can't be bought by corporate PR people and their ad-dollars.

Look at the mess VW has gotten into with image. For years, they have touted themselves as one of the world's largest companies (which they are, outside of the U.S.)....and now we find out that their diesel-emissions system was designed by crooks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
1) I will never consume automotive news from Jalopnik

Agreed. Jalopnik does not seem to be the epitome of automotive knowledge. They write some good stuff here and there, but, overall, I'm not impressed with them.
Old 08-25-16, 01:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I have to disagree. Many buyers have spent their hard-earned $$$$$$ on image and have gotten burned. A corporate reputation has to be earned.....it can't be bought by corporate PR people and their ad-dollars.

Look at the mess VW has gotten into with image. For years, they have touted themselves as one of the world's largest companies (which they are, outside of the U.S.)....and now we find out that their diesel-emissions system was designed by crooks.
Yes it can. It happens all of the time with cars and other consumer products.

Quick Reply: What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?