Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?

Old 08-31-16, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you guys are discussing reports about a 2011 model which is now 5 years old... totally irrelevant to today's vehicles.
It wasn't totally irrelevant to the 2014 model, though, which was also in the discussion.

one thing that blows me away is the 22 buttons on the steering wheel i can control almost everything without taking my hands off the whee
But if you have both hands gripping the wheel, as is recommended on some dicey road conditions, that leaves only two free thumbs sticking out. Are all those 22 switches/controls on the wheel close enough (or designed in a suitable manner) that your two thumbs can easily reach and/or operate them without having to take the hand off the wheel? I couldn't say for sure without actually seeing the design, but, in general, methinks probably not.

Old 08-31-16, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Yes, all the buttons are workable with your thumbs.
Old 08-31-16, 10:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But if you have both hands gripping the wheel, as is recommended on some dicey road conditions, that leaves only two free thumbs sticking out. Are all those 22 switches/controls on the wheel close enough (or designed in a suitable manner) that your two thumbs can easily reach and/or operate them without having to take the hand off the wheel? I couldn't say for sure without actually seeing the design, but, in general, methinks probably not.
you need to try it to understand. Six of those buttons are 3 each of the left and right (2 sides of a rocker and one on top of it) of the BACK of the wheel allowing the use of fore finger and middle fingers to operate without taking hands off the wheel.
Old 09-01-16, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

you need to try it to understand. Six of those buttons are 3 each of the left and right (2 sides of a rocker and one on top of it) of the BACK of the wheel allowing the use of fore finger and middle fingers to operate without taking hands off the wheel.
Interesting. I remember my 2001 Lexus IS300 having buttons on the back of the spokes that you used for upshifts, and identically-sized buttons on the front for downshifts. Two of each (left and right)...you could take your choice of left or right hand for each function.

When I first tried to test-drive an IS300 (before I bought one), all I could do was manually-downshift. I couldn't manually upshift again until the salesperson showed me the (completely hidden) button behind the spokes. Somewhat embarrassing, as I can usually figure out a lot of things for myself when driving, though I'm still not that good with things like Bluetooth, MP3, SYNC, etc.....

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-16 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 11:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Jeep has been doing that for years, drove a 1998 5.9 Limited V8 Grand Cherokee, it had buttons on the back of the wheel that turned the volume up/down and tuned the radio. Fastest SUV in the world for 1998, kind of funny how my 1999 Z28 Camaro ran about a second and a half better quarter mile ET, cost about half as much as that truck, and was WAY better on gas.
Old 09-04-16, 03:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Jeep has been doing that for years, drove a 1998 5.9 Limited V8 Grand Cherokee, it had buttons on the back of the wheel that turned the volume up/down and tuned the radio. Fastest SUV in the world for 1998, kind of funny how my 1999 Z28 Camaro ran about a second and a half better quarter mile ET, cost about half as much as that truck, and was WAY better on gas.
Your Camaro was a considerably smaller vehicle, with two fewer doors, did not have AWD or as many other features as the JGC, and cost a lot less to produce. Of course it is going to sell for less.....unless supply/demand causes price-gouging.
Old 09-04-16, 10:38 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The new ad for Infiniti Q60 has a statement in it that strikes me a lot about how I judge cars. "The most important thing about a car is how it makes you feel".

I like a smooth quiet ride, lots of room, nice materials and workmanship. To me, this is luxury and I feel good no matter what the badge on the hood says. For me, the Genesis G90 is truly a luxury car. I can accept (though not completely understand) how the right badge on a lesser car for some people makes them feel good and as if they had "arrived".
Old 09-04-16, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The new ad for Infiniti Q60 has a statement in it that strikes me a lot about how I judge cars. "The most important thing about a car is how it makes you feel".

I like a smooth quiet ride, lots of room, nice materials and workmanship. To me, this is luxury and I feel good no matter what the badge on the hood says. For me, the Genesis G90 is truly a luxury car. I can accept (though not completely understand) how the right badge on a lesser car for some people makes them feel good and as if they had "arrived".
I too think the new G90 looks great. I look forward to driving one, I could see myself in one.

And now they have a premium badge too.
Old 09-04-16, 08:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Which other Toyotas have this, I think it is just the Land Cruiser. The 2013-15 Avalon does not, my father and I test drove it and we noticed that it did not have it.
Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, it's a hybrid Limited Platinum. Not sure if all Highlanders have the feature or just the higher trim levels. I was actually quite surprised when I saw it do it, as I didn't know any Toyota had it.
My 2010 Prius has it on the rear windows. It's standard on all 2010-2011 Prii (I cannot confirm they kept it for 2012-2015 Gen 3.5 as they took away a number of Lexus-like features).

My 2010 Prius also has water-repellent front door glass and felt-covered A and B pillar trim. (These last two are only available on the top model. The base models have regular front side windows and plastic covered pillar trim).

Old 09-05-16, 04:39 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing to point out is that the German "luxury" brands really aren't "luxury," but they do offer cars in the $100k+ level.

I use to live in Germany when my father was stationed there, and BMW and Mercedes was almost like Chevy and Ford here, but their top models was in the stratospheric dollar range. Heck, I remember seeing nothing but BMW and MB police cars and these cars were pretty ubiquitous.

Volkswagen was the only brand back then that offered really cheap cars, but they even tried to sell upper echelon vehicles under that brand, but kind of gave up and moved to Audi.

These German "luxury" brands really aren't luxury, but just offers a full gamut of cars, from cheap people movers, to cars you might see at Pebble Beach. They did offer a bit more premium, but it wasn't until the 80s that they started to cash in on perception. Back then, these brands offered ordinary people movers like everyone else. It didn't help that the exchange rate back then made these cars more expensive then they really were. Our brands moved that upper echelon to different brands, Cadillac and Lincoln in particular.

Toyota and others had to make different brands to justify those dollars and try to break the stranglehold on top-tier, expensive vehicles, that for the Germans, were considered just a normal part of the lineup.

Of course, these alternative brands cashed in on that "luxury" reputation even more by offering lower-priced, but still more expensive models, but the main aspect, at least for Lexus, was to try and break that top-shelf model of MB and BMW. They didn't have to repackage themselves to sell an equivalent $100k car as they offered that all along as part of their normal lineup.
Old 09-05-16, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
My 2010 Prius has it on the rear windows.
wonder why only on the rears.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
One thing to point out is that the German "luxury" brands really aren't "luxury,"
we have gone into the 'No True Scotsman' situation.
Old 09-05-16, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I like a smooth quiet ride, lots of room, nice materials and workmanship. To me, this is luxury and I feel good no matter what the badge on the hood says. For me, the Genesis G90 is truly a luxury car.
yes, for you it's sophistication of the drivetrain, comfort, and quality of exterior/interior design/materials, but not really brand. i'm the same.

I can accept (though not completely understand) how the right badge on a lesser car for some people makes them feel good and as if they had "arrived".
yup, for others, the brand is very or the most important. these consumers are often into trendy brand name clothes, shoes, electronics, going to 'the right' places, etc. i will never understand women paying a fortune for michael kors purses like my sister did recently.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I too think the new G90 looks great. I look forward to driving one, I could see myself in one. And now they have a premium badge too.
yes, it's now got not only great style and trim and drivetrains, it's also got its own brand, at least separating it from plebeian elantras etc

gets back to the chart i put together and posted on page 5 as to which 'buttons' are needed for consumers:

Old 09-06-16, 09:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wonder why only on the rears.

we have gone into the 'No True Scotsman' situation.
I have no clue. It's not even listed in the brochure. The only reason I can think of is because of child safety (give them just that bit more time to pull the fingers away and a slightly lighter pressure if the fingers do get pinched).
Old 09-07-16, 01:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just a tidbit - In Paris last month, I Uber-ed all the time - Citroen, Peugeot, BMW, Renault. Out of all them, the BMW (3 series) felt extremely comfortable and in control over the cobble stone roads of Paris. The rest of the cars, it was either floaty (Citroen) or just harsh (Renault, Peugeot). It is then one realizes why the BMW is revered.
Old 09-07-16, 01:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
just a tidbit - In Paris last month, I Uber-ed all the time - Citroen, Peugeot, BMW, Renault. Out of all them, the BMW (3 series) felt extremely comfortable and in control over the cobble stone roads of Paris. The rest of the cars, it was either floaty (Citroen) or just harsh (Renault, Peugeot). It is then one realizes why the BMW is revered.
I have a 2014 3 Series (1st BMW) and even if the ride and handling isn't what it used to be, the car does ride and handle very well. I still enjoy driving it after two years tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?