Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 09:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My Highlander does it.
Very interesting. What year is your Highlander? Is it a Hybrid?
Old 08-24-16, 10:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Very interesting. What year is your Highlander? Is it a Hybrid?
It's a 16, hybrid.
Old 08-24-16, 10:01 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yes, these things to me mean luxury, in addition to the better materials and aesthetics. Its the engineering involved behind the vehicle. Someone at that luxury brand cared enough to implement these things. No, they aren't deal breakers, but they are what set the cars apart from mainstream brands, to me.
Makes sense.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind if my washer stopped in mid-wipe when I turned off the car. It's great that they thought of this, but I can think of 100 other things that would define a luxury vehicle compared to a "standard" model that I would rather have implemented into the car.

For example, Honda has the wonderful idea of putting a camera under the passenger side mirror so that when you turn the right signal on to change lanes (or to simply turn right), the camera shows the right blind spot. Genius.

To me, THIS is luxury. I'd trade the wiper stopping in mid-wipe any day for something as seamless integrated as this blind-spot detection system (though the camera is a little clunky, but quite effective).
Old 08-24-16, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure what you mean by "soft close doors". Many car buyers equate a solid, firm, precise "thunk" when closing doors/hood/trunk with quality and an upscale feeling. I mention, in my reviews, if I think doors sound or feel tinny when closing.
Old 08-24-16, 10:16 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Makes sense.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind if my washer stopped in mid-wipe when I turned off the car. It's great that they thought of this, but I can think of 100 other things that would define a luxury vehicle compared to a "standard" model that I would rather have implemented into the car.

For example, Honda has the wonderful idea of putting a camera under the passenger side mirror so that when you turn the right signal on to change lanes (or to simply turn right), the camera shows the right blind spot. Genius.

To me, THIS is luxury. I'd trade the wiper stopping in mid-wipe any day for something as seamless integrated as this blind-spot detection system (though the camera is a little clunky, but quite effective).
It depends on what you consider luxury overall I guess. If you consider the aroma spreader in the new S class something luxurious, then well the only way to get that feature is to play in that league. If you consider blind spot assist or 360 camera a feature, and use it to mark yourself as a luxury vehicle...well not much effort into anymore since every that Moms soccer special Nissan Pathfinder has birds eye 360. Same thing when you consider a Mercedes E class, if you only use the safety semi autonomous driving features as the reason to buy the thing and label it luxury, not much different then say a new Civic that launched with all that similar tech. Both are clunky, and have their weak spots, but would you rather realize that while sitting behind a 4 pot or a inline 6 with leather and wood trim?

Old 08-24-16, 10:28 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
The reason I would buy a "luxury" car is also due to the dealer service. This may not be true with BMW, but Lexus and Infiniti have treated me very well and have offered loaner cars for the most routine service. In my experience, the mainstream brands do not offer the same experience. Even their showrooms are down market.

I leased a new Honda Accord for my cousin, and when I drove the top-of-the-line Touring version I was quite impressed. I considered one for about a minute, until I realized the wood is fake. Yet another reason to go for a luxury car with higher quality materials. Her battery died (incredible in a new Accord), but Roadside Assistance came and made it right. That is yet another way the luxury and mainstream brands are converging.

On another topic, what is the VW equivalent of an Audi S5, and why would you not consider it "luxury enough". Do you think an A8 is not luxury enough? If you don't think it is, go check it out. ;-)
I despise fake wood too. One day I hope to own a car like the S-class or 7-series where there is little to no plastic at all in the interior. Every surface is leather, wood, or metal; from the bottom of the doors to the top of the dash. Porsche will even coat the bottom of the seats and rear view mirror (which are typically plastic) in leather.
Old 08-24-16, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I despise fake wood too.
If it's a good enough fake (especially with a matte finish), it can be hard to tell from real wood.
Old 08-24-16, 11:31 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

It's a 16, hybrid.
i've been a toyota salesman for the past 2 months and that's the first i've heard of it haha, i'm about to walk around to the back of the building and find some highlander hybrid to test this out. is yours a limited hybrid?
Old 08-24-16, 11:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Yes, it's a hybrid Limited Platinum. Not sure if all Highlanders have the feature or just the higher trim levels. I was actually quite surprised when I saw it do it, as I didn't know any Toyota had it.
Old 08-24-16, 11:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i've been a toyota salesman for the past 2 months and that's the first i've heard of it haha, i'm about to walk around to the back of the building and find some highlander hybrid to test this out. is yours a limited hybrid?
Yes, it's a hybrid Limited Platinum. Not sure if all Highlanders have the feature or just the higher trim levels. I was actually quite surprised when I saw it do it, as I didn't know any Toyota had it.
Highlander Hybrid also has rear overhead vents. It would be interesting to know what other Toyota models have it.
Old 08-24-16, 11:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Highlander Hybrid also has rear overhead vents. It would be interesting to know what other Toyota models have it.
That's not just the hybrid, as my sister's gas XLE has the overhead vents.
Old 08-24-16, 12:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's not just the hybrid, as my sister's gas XLE has the overhead vents.
Interesting. I have learned so much today.
Old 08-24-16, 12:05 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
I'm thinking he's talking about the power rear lift gate as being soft touch close, but the side front and rear doors?? no way... our 16' limited HL certainly does not have that feature.
Old 08-24-16, 12:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by airgas1998
I'm thinking he's talking about the power rear lift gate as being soft touch close, but the side front and rear doors?? no way... our 16' limited HL certainly does not have that feature.
Not talking about soft close doors. We are talking about the power windows. Just as in Lexus, the power windows in my Highlander slow down as they finish raising or lowering.
Old 08-24-16, 12:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

every highlander (even LE) has the overhead vents in the rear, but only the higher optioned models (XLE, Limited) have the adjustable 3-zone temperature controls where you can change the temperature from the back. same goes for having a power electric rear tailgate.

Quick Reply: What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?