Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Camaro not selling, 129 day dealer supply...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 03:49 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Camaro not selling, 129 day dealer supply...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...29-day-supply/

“Do you want to get in and out of your car easily and do you want to be able to back out of a tight parking spot?” Ford Mustang buyer and former Chevrolet Camaro shopper John Oglesby wrote toCar And Driver for its September 2016 issue. “If so, you need the Mustang.”

John Oglesby is truly representative of the market as a whole. After holding its position as the top dog in the segment for five years, the Chevrolet Camaro predictably lost its title to the Ford Mustang in 2015, the year of an all-new Mustang; the last year for the now-departed fifth-generation Chevrolet Camaro.

2016 hosted the launch of an all-new Chevrolet Camaro, but a return to sales leadership wasn’t in the cards. Not at any point since the nameplate’s 2009 return has the Camaro sold so poorly. Year-over-year, U.S. Camaro volume is down 15 percent compared with 2015, the Camaro’s previous worst year since returning.

Old 08-22-16, 03:51 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty surprised at this. A lot of people are pitting the blame on the poor visibility or styling. I for one find the new Camaro to be a very attractive car (although it has a few awkward lines in some areas) and the interior looks like a huge improvement over the previous generation. I think the main reason is because of its price gap with its competitors. I configured a loaded Mustang 5.0 GT which came out to about $40,000. A 2SS Camaro came out to nearly $46,000! That's a lot of coin.

It's unfortunate for GM that the ancient, heavy, numb, and all-around dynamically mediocre 9-year old Challenger is outselling its newest Camaro.
Old 08-22-16, 04:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Who is pitting windows and poor visibility? Camaros have never had great visibility. People who want this car will get it regardless of the windows are east to see out of.

Now sure why this is not selling, bit for similar or less money I would rather have something like an Audi TT.

It's too bad GM did not make the Buick two door they made a concept of.
Old 08-22-16, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

cars are simply not popular anymore, both sedans and coupes... it is SUV market right now.
Old 08-22-16, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm pretty surprised at this. A lot of people are pitting the blame on the poor visibility or styling.
That would make at least some sense, as a number of of those interested in this car would be Baby Boomers like me, who grew up with the original ones almost half a century ago. But the original Camaros of the late 60s had MUCH bigger windows and MUCH better visibility.

I configured a loaded Mustang 5.0 GT which came out to about $40,000. A 2SS Camaro came out to nearly $46,000! That's a lot of coin.
That's also a lot of chassis, though....the new 2016 Camaro SS uses the chassis/platform of the Cadillac ATS-V, a car that costs many thousands more.

It's unfortunate for GM that the ancient, heavy, numb, and all-around dynamically mediocre 9-year old Challenger is outselling its newest Camaro.

And, according to Consumer Reports, the Charger and Challenger both have some of the highest owner-satisfaction ratings in their data base.
Old 08-22-16, 07:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Charger and Challenger both have very poor Predicted Reliability, Much Worse Than Average.
Old 08-22-16, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Charger and Challenger both have very poor Predicted Reliability, Much Worse Than Average.
That's no surprise.
Old 08-22-16, 08:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Definitely seeing alot more Mustangs than Camaros in my area. But that's kinda always been the case. I could never buy the Camaro, have sat in several models including the 2017.... I don't care if it's the best performance car in the world or what numbers they might be throwing out there, can't buy a car that I am going to bash my head on the ceiling when getting in and out of, not to mention the horrible interior layout (all around). Yeah the M4 is not a direct competitor because it's much more expensive, but BMW got that car right. Amazing layout and styling (engine and exhaust note aside, that car is a home run even if it might be on the heavier side for frequent track use). I'd rather have a higher car payment than live with a cheaper car that I cannot stand being in.It doesn't cost more money to make taller windows and better interior configuration, Toyota and Honda have been doing it for decades.
Old 08-22-16, 08:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

#1 - The new Camaro is hideous, especially the back. The previous gen was a show stopper especially before the refreshed tailights.
#2 - The V8 model is EXPENSIVE especially compared to Mustang.
#3 - Can't see crap out of the inside.

OTOH New Mustang looks so good, amazing road presence!
Old 08-22-16, 08:18 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

That's bc there are over 26,000 new Camaro for sale. Looks more like an over supply issue

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...=GN_REFINEMENT
Old 08-22-16, 09:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

That's a bit surprising. Styling has to be the main reason, as no other factors changed from then to now. This new version is more generic looking, and doesn't have as much of that recent Camaro look. I still see a few brand new ones, but there were tons of the last gen facelift model. See a few new Mustangs, but not tons of them. The type of people who like and wants these types of cars do not want to be driving SUV's or CUV's, so that can't be blamed either. It has to be the milder styling.
Old 08-22-16, 11:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They have it priced wrong, both in SS V8 trim and in the lower trim lines with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Also for the people who don't really care about performance dynamics(ie 4 and 6 cylinder buyers who make up the majority of the sales), the Mustang is a way better car. So the Mustang has fresh styling, much larger interior, way better visibility than the Camaro and is cheaper. While if you aren't shopping for performance, the Camaro looks the same as it did in that 2008 movie Transformers, still has a cramped interior with bad ergonimics that you can't see out of, and Chevy is charging you several thousand dollars more than last year. Yeah no thanks.
Old 08-23-16, 05:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its way too expensive, doesnt look a whole lot different than last gen, didnt fix visibility issues from last gen. Dont see a big compelling reason for current camaro owners to trade up when it doesnt look that much different.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-23-16 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-23-16, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, that's true, but, like some other vehicles in Consumer Reports' data base, many owners are highly satisfied with them despite the generally poor reliability.

Originally Posted by LexsCTjill
That's no surprise.
One must also consider the aggressive way that they are often driven, which can cause a lot of wear. Apart from that, Chrysler has managed to vastly improve the fit/finish of their vehicles lately, but some reliability issues still remain.
Old 08-23-16, 06:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One must also consider the aggressive way that they are often driven, which can cause a lot of wear..
I knew Chrysler could not make a vehicle that could live up to the aggressive driving appearance they are trying to convey.

Quick Reply: New Camaro not selling, 129 day dealer supply...