Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti's new VC-T technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Infiniti's new VC-T technology

The upcoming Infiniti QX50 crossover does not get our pulse racing, no matter how shapely the QX Sport concept that previews it may be. No midsize SUV does, to be fair. But it has something special under the hood – the world's first production variable-compression-ratio engine. That means the QX50's 2.0-liter turbo four, which makes 268 horsepower and 288 pound-feet of torque, will have up to 27 percent better fuel economy. Here's how it works.

The trend of moving to smaller, turbocharged engines carries with it one big falsehood. Under low load when the turbo isn't needed, these engines are less efficient than an equivalent engine without a turbo because of the low compression ratio the turbo requires. That is, if you never need the extra power, you're wasting fuel.

Turbocharged (and supercharged) engines use a lower compression ratio to prevent detonation. When you force extra air in a cylinder and mix it with fuel, it's more likely to prematurely go boom. Lowering the compression ratio prevents this problem, but it's less efficient. Infiniti's VC-T promises the best of both worlds, with a compression ratio that ranges from 8.0:1 for high-power turbo needs to a 14.0:1 ratio for fuel-sipping efficiency.

At its heart the VC-T engine is a simple idea, but it's complicated to explain. Consider yourself warned. The photo below from Infiniti serves as a good visual overview.

Instead of having the pistons connected to the crankshaft, Infiniti's engine has a pivot arm with a connection on each end. One end connects to the piston, the other connects to a second lower shaft, which is controlled by an actuator arm. At any given time the engine's pistons move up and down according to the lobes on the crankshaft. But the actuator arm can change the angle of the pivot arm up and down. That is, the pistons still move in the same motion with the same stroke, but phase the entire stroke up or down. Move the pivot up and there's less room at the top, which means a higher compression ratio. Move the pivot down and the compression ratio goes down, too. As an added bonus, the lower shaft eliminates the need for counter-rotating balance shafts.

Infiniti says this system works constantly and can vary the compression ratio to any number between 8:1 and 14:1. It also uses electronic variable valve timing on the intake valves to switch into Atkinson-cycle combustion for greater efficiency. The exhaust valve uses a more common oil pressure-based cam phaser. Other nifty features include a cylinder head with integrated exhaust manifold, electronic wastegate control for the turbo, and a variable-displacement oil pump. Both port and direct fuel injection are used as well.

The VC-T engine offers more power and torque than the standard 2,0-liter turbo four offerings from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. It also beats the 2.0-liter in the Chinese-market Cadillac XT5 on horsepower. There are more powerful turbo engines of this size found under the hoods of cars like the Honda Civic Type-R, Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG and GLA45 AMG, and Subaru Impreza WRX and STI (to name a few). But Infiniti's claim here is a better combination of efficiency and power. Expect the VC-T to be paired with a CVT in the QX50.

Infiniti says that the variable-compression-ratio technology can be scaled to other sizes of four-cylinder engines, but is impractical for V6 and V8 engines. Speaking of V6s, the power and torque of the VC-T is right in line with the 3.5-liter VQ used in the QX60 and various front-wheel-drive Nissans. Like those vehicles, the VC-T in the QX50 will be mounted transverse but offer some form of all-wheel drive. It's easy to see this engine taking over for the VQ in any of its current Nissan applications.

For the near future, the VC-T will be exclusive to the QX50, production of which starts in 2017. Dropping this engine in the rear-drive Q60 might have been more buzz-worthy, but Nissan (and Infiniti) chose a more pragmatic plan. The transverse setup guarantees more widespread adoption, spreading the cost and corporate fuel-economy benefits over a wider area. Putting all that aside, the VC-T is an amazing piece of groundbreaking technology. Amazing enough that, yes, Infiniti has us excited for a midsize SUV.
Source
Old 08-15-16, 02:10 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Hope its reliable. Sounds like it's just one small computer glitch away from catastrophe.
Old 08-15-16, 02:12 PM
Hoovey689

nfiniti says this system works constantly and can vary the compression ratio to any number between 8:1 and 14:1. It also uses electronic variable valve timing on the intake valves to switch into Atkinson-cycle combustion for greater efficiency.
Took a page from Lexus by being able to switch from Otto to Atkinson
Old 08-15-16, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty cool engine stuff coming from Infiniti The 268/288 power ratings is impressive.
Old 08-15-16, 03:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pretty cool engine stuff coming from Infiniti The 268/288 power ratings is impressive.
Its a shame the new QX30 utilizes the older Mercedes C250 2.0T with 208hp / 258lbft
Old 08-15-16, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Hope its reliable. Sounds like it's just one small computer glitch away from catastrophe.
as are all modern engines.
Old 08-15-16, 06:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as are all modern engines.
Most new car engines are reliable. But the new tech is getting pretty crazy in all that could go wrong.
Old 08-15-16, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting concept. One possible flaw, though. I'm not an engineer, but I don't see where it removes the need for a balance shaft. Adding those extra moving parts and pivots, in my view, just adds to the number of (potential) imbalance and vibration points in the engine....not to mention more noise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 07:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Took a page from Lexus by being able to switch from Otto to Atkinson
Being able to switch back and forth between Otto and Atkinson cycles simulates the effects of varying compression ratio, but done in a simpler fashion, by varying valve open and close times. By holding the intake valve open longer in the Atkinson cycle -- past bottom dead centre -- the compression ratio is effectively decreased; and when the intake valve timing is switched back to "normal" in the Otto cycle, the compression ratio is effectively increased.

Using variable valve timing to simulate the effects of variable compression ratio is simpler; it may not be as effective as truly, mechanically varying the compression ratio but it includes less mechanical linkages. A greater amount of mechanical linkages means more friction and more linkages (an as yet unproven design) to break.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting concept. One possible flaw, though. I'm not an engineer, but I don't see where it removes the need for a balance shaft. Adding those extra moving parts and pivots, in my view, just adds to the number of (potential) imbalance and vibration points in the engine....not to mention more noise.
I am less concerned with the control software, as long as there is a limp-home, fail-safe mode (perhaps defaulting to a "safe", low compression ratio), and as long as the software is allowed to fail into this mode; I would be worried if the software does not fail safely but fails suddenly and fatally, like Microsoft's infamous Blue Screen of Death.

My concern is that without a hard connection between the piston and the crankshaft, there may be no default, safe, mechanical backup if the complex linkage breaks or fails. Will it suddenly seize? And will the seizure of one cylinder cause the whole engine to suddenly seize?

Old 08-15-16, 10:28 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
Being able to switch back and forth between Otto and Atkinson cycles simulates the effects of varying compression ratio, but done in a simpler fashion, by varying valve open and close times. By holding the intake valve open longer in the Atkinson cycle -- past bottom dead centre -- the compression ratio is effectively decreased; and when the intake valve timing is switched back to "normal" in the Otto cycle, the compression ratio is effectively increased.

Using variable valve timing to simulate the effects of variable compression ratio is simpler; it may not be as effective as truly, mechanically varying the compression ratio but it includes less mechanical linkages. A greater amount of mechanical linkages means more friction and more linkages (an as yet unproven design) to break.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-16-16, 05:40 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or they could have gone with smart Pistons that can grow big or small electronically
Old 08-16-16, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I am less concerned with the control software, as long as there is a limp-home, fail-safe mode (perhaps defaulting to a "safe", low compression ratio), and as long as the software is allowed to fail into this mode; I would be worried if the software does not fail safely but fails suddenly and fatally, like Microsoft's infamous Blue Screen of Death.

My concern is that without a hard connection between the piston and the crankshaft, there may be no default, safe, mechanical backup if the complex linkage breaks or fails. Will it suddenly seize? And will the seizure of one cylinder cause the whole engine to suddenly seize?
Good point......agreed on the seize-possibilty issue (on top of the need for more (and more complex) oil-passages to help prevent the seizure). But that wasn't quite what I was addressing in my last post. I was just pondering (and I guess we won't know without a test-drive) if the added number of moving parts would increase the potential amount of noise and vibration. This engine, of course, is intended for a premium upscale vehicle, and hopefully won't run or sound like a lawn-tractor.
Old 08-16-16, 06:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

If you think about it, they don't have to do much in the way of a fail-safe. If the compression is stuck high, open the wastegate or diverter valve and it'll run in NA mode. If it's stuck low, absolutely nothing has to be done, it'll act like any other turbo 4 out there.

As for the linkage breaking, one way they could handle that is to have a stop on the pivot point where the rod attaches to the assembly on the crank, presumably at the 8:1 end, since absent any external influence, that's the direction that inertia and compression/ignition forces are going to tend to push the piston. Then the actuator arm rotates it towards the 14:1 end. If the linkage breaks, there's nothing to hold high compression and it sits on the stop at 8:1. Not saying that's how they implemented it, but it's one possible way.

Very cool technology, I can't wait to see how it performs on the road.
Old 08-16-16, 07:46 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is Mitsubishi's technology.
Old 08-16-16, 07:59 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
This is Mitsubishi's technology.
Is it? So Nissan acquired it when they bailed out Mitsubishi Motors?

Quick Reply: Infiniti's new VC-T technology