Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile not a fan of the new Audi TT

Old 08-11-16, 02:22 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automobile not a fan of the new Audi TT

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...e-week-review/

And I have to agree. This review pretty much sums up how I feel about the A3, A8, new A5, and new Q7 as well. High quality cars, but they are too teutonic and lack any emotion whatsoever both inside and out (including the driving experience). It's a shame that the excellent Q5 will likely become a snooze-fest in its upcoming next bodystyle like the Q7 has.
Old 08-11-16, 02:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

And I have to agree. This review pretty much sums up how I feel about the A3, A8, new A5, and new Q7 as well. High quality cars, but they are too teutonic and lack any emotion whatsoever both inside and out (including the driving experience). It's a shame that the excellent Q5 will likely become a snooze-fest in its upcoming next bodystyle like the Q7 has.
I think 'lack any emotion whatsoever' is a little strong, but I do agree with your statement overall. The latest S4 is a great example of a quality and technologically advanced sports sedan, but the 8-speed Auto and turbo don't have the charm the 7-speed DCT and supercharger did.
Old 08-11-16, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Groceries in the trunk, wife in the passenger seat sipping Starbucks; we’re enjoying the warm Southern California summer air with the windows down.
This is the problem, stay away, let the wife drive it and everyone will be happy.....
Old 08-11-16, 02:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, they don't like it because it's not a Porsche.

Got it.
Old 08-11-16, 04:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's biggest 2 problems are the price and the powertrain....price is too high pushing it into Porsche territory w/less performance.

....altho i did love the comment from the article....

The whole article is awash in pointless emotional opinions with nonsense to back it up. The best part is suggesting the Caymen is a "better" car.....at $2000 more.....which you pay to NOT get AWD and to NOT get a dual clutch, or an upgraded sound system, or power seats, or Nav, or.....the list goes on. To get a Caymen even close to optioned the way the test TTS was will cost you over $70k and again you still won't have AWD. At that price point you should look at the upcoming TTRS.

Oh, and "the Porsche is a better badge"???? Real drivers don't buy badges (and the smart ones know if you are paying $60k for a car that's supposed to deliver top performance it should have a dual clutch which delivers performance, not "feelings" as you slowly row through gears with a stick. It's why over 90% of professional race classes run DCTs in their cars, but hey, if you like using technology that's good enough for NASCAR.......knock yourself out. LMAO

The Porsche is an amazing machine, truly, but it's not a true competitor at this level with all the missing items you'd have to give up.
Old 08-11-16, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think 'lack any emotion whatsoever' is a little strong, but I do agree with your statement overall. The latest S4 is a great example of a quality and technologically advanced sports sedan, but the 8-speed Auto and turbo don't have the charm the 7-speed DCT and supercharger did.
I couldn't agree more. I love the supercharger and 7-speed DCT in my S5, but once my lease is up I will be moving on. I think Audi's highest point was in 2007/2008/2009 with the Q7, Q5, S5, S4, etc. The new ones are very "robotic" looking to me and it sounds like they drive that way as well. Great technology at the expense of the driving experience.

Last edited by dseag2; 08-11-16 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yet I can’t seem to find a reason to care. I’m struck with the persistent notion that the TTS is just a car. It simply doesn’t feel special — a huge problem for a car costing almost $60,000.
I think there may be more of a problem with the reviewer than with the car itself. He goes on to say, later in the article, that the car does exactly what it was designed to do, yet still doesn't make him "feel special". That sounds like maybe an ego problem to me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-16 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 09:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

I would agree with Mike. Every recent Audi review I've read seems to be a problem with the reviewer. Over and over, they all say the car is fine and does everything well. If it doesn't spark emotion, well, it's not a formula 1 race. I'm frankly getting tired of auto journals trashing car reviews because they can't be driven at Mach 1 speeds. In real life, 98% of buyers cannot drive the car to the max.

Back to the TT... it has a nice niche market. The wives and artistic community like it and it's fine to design a car that fits their needs.
Old 08-11-16, 09:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Curious as to why you omitted the new A4. Like the new Q7, the A4 is quite plain on the outside.
Old 08-12-16, 08:37 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

I live in a place where German makes are very popular but have yet to see the new TT. Boxsters and M2s are out and about.
Old 08-12-16, 08:38 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Curious as to why you omitted the new A4. Like the new Q7, the A4 is quite plain on the outside.
Nice catch. I think it looks fine for the segment. I did see a couple in Vancouver recently and thought they were current A4s until I noticed slightly different headlights, tail lights, wheels, and more refined body lines.
Old 08-12-16, 12:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like the new Q7, the A4 is quite plain on the outside.
I think the new A4/S4 looks great -- clean yet aggressive! oh and Autoblog seems to like it... http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/20/2...#slide-3993388

Last edited by bagwell; 08-12-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 12:57 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Styling looks good enough - looks upscale. Beautiful interiors as well.

Anecdotal experience, but the 2003 2.7T A6 we had went through numerous problems. Its replacement, a 2010 A4 2.0T, had the entire engine replaced at just around 25,000 miles under warranty. It continues to burn oil. Other than that, the car is a good enough product but not enough for me to spend my own money on. No turbocharged engines for me thanks, I prefer a naturally aspirated six or eight.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-12-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 02:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I would agree with Mike. Every recent Audi review I've read seems to be a problem with the reviewer. Over and over, they all say the car is fine and does everything well. If it doesn't spark emotion, well, it's not a formula 1 race. I'm frankly getting tired of auto journals trashing car reviews because they can't be driven at Mach 1 speeds. In real life, 98% of buyers cannot drive the car to the max.

Back to the TT... it has a nice niche market. The wives and artistic community like it and it's fine to design a car that fits their needs.
I think you are misunderstanding what the writers across the globe are trying to convey. These writers are criticizing Audi's because they can be driven at Mach 1 and carve corners, all without an ounce of joy. These writers are enthusiasts, of course they're going to gravitate towards cars that perform similarly but with an exuberance the Audi lacks.
Old 08-12-16, 03:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think there may be more of a problem with the reviewer than with the car itself. He goes on to say, later in the article, that the car does exactly what it was designed to do, yet still doesn't make him "feel special". That sounds like maybe an ego problem to me.
i agree! he sounds like a bored, spoiled poser. he says it's like a smaller GTR and that's somehow bad because it handles so competently and isn't scary like a GTI driven too fast.

i also think audi hit it out of the park with the subtle design changes - i absolutely love the front and the lights...

also, he seems to forget, vw, audi, porsche is all the same company.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automobile not a fan of the new Audi TT