Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 05:33 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

at least a few people understand perspective and corporate sensibility across the entire marque(s)' lineup.

as a lexus owner, i openly admit there being a tonne of toyota present. same for honda and acura, nissan and infiniti, vw and audi, etc.

i just don't happen to like nissan's design language across their entire lineup, including that of infiniti.
Old 08-15-16, 05:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
at least a few people understand perspective and corporate sensibility across the entire marque(s)' lineup.

as a lexus owner, i openly admit there being a tonne of toyota present. same for honda and acura, nissan and infiniti, vw and audi, etc.

i just don't happen to like nissan's design language across their entire lineup, including that of infiniti.
That's completely different than saying there's too much Maxima design language (which came after the Q50 anyways) in the Q50. Use your words wisely.
Old 08-15-16, 06:55 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's completely different than saying there's too much Maxima design language (which came after the Q50 anyways) in the Q50. Use your words wisely.
i don't rescind them. i stand by my words 100%. *i* see too much maxima in the q50 (or too much q50 in the maxima to your point). i don't care if i'm alone in what i see on this board, i see it.
Old 08-15-16, 06:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And we're out... we'll be right back after an Olympics update and see if we can find the OP in that nice green water in the pool...
Old 08-15-16, 07:39 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MattyG
And we're out... we'll be right back after an Olympics update and see if we can find the OP in that nice green water in the pool...
He may lose less brain cells swimming in that green water than if he were to read some of the posts in this thread.
Old 08-16-16, 11:35 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Honestly OP, I'd look at an Audi A6 3.0T. The reliability of these is strangely good- Consumer Reports even gave it their Top Pick rating. Quick, luxuriously appointed, all that.
Which model years are reliable?
Old 08-16-16, 11:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi

yeah uh ....totally off topic here but..... thoughts on GT-R "design language"???
Old 08-16-16, 04:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by grayson73
Which model years are reliable?
Any year of the current generation model- and I'm specifically talking 3.0T.
Old 08-16-16, 05:31 PM
nuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I bought a 2012 550 M sport x drive with 33k and 2 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. I have had BMW, Audi, and MB before so I am well acquainted with the differences between engineering and reliability. I am figuring the car will be at least double what my GS cost to run per year once off warranty but I can live with that for the farfegnugen. I will report back when there are some miles on the car. I also shopped Audi S4 but it seemed like people were asking a lot for relatively high mileage cars. Did not look at King Ranch because my garage is not deep enough Could not wait for the 400hp Infiniti Q because I won't buy brand new and don't want to wait another year.

First taste of being a BMW owner today. My Lexus touch up paint cost me $20 and they replaced my FOB battery on a 2007 for free. BMW just charged me $60 for touch up paint and battery. Reminds me of my old XJR
Old 08-16-16, 07:22 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nuck
Okay so I bought a 2012 550 M sport x drive with 33k and 2 more years of bumper to bumper warranty.
congrats! please keep reporting back here with updates.

oh and don't forget pics!
Old 08-17-16, 02:01 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Okay so I bought a 2012 550 M sport x drive with 33k and 2 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. I have had BMW, Audi, and MB before so I am well acquainted with the differences between engineering and reliability. I am figuring the car will be at least double what my GS cost to run per year once off warranty but I can live with that for the farfegnugen. I will report back when there are some miles on the car. I also shopped Audi S4 but it seemed like people were asking a lot for relatively high mileage cars. Did not look at King Ranch because my garage is not deep enough Could not wait for the 400hp Infiniti Q because I won't buy brand new and don't want to wait another year.

First taste of being a BMW owner today. My Lexus touch up paint cost me $20 and they replaced my FOB battery on a 2007 for free. BMW just charged me $60 for touch up paint and battery. Reminds me of my old XJR
Dump that POS before the warranty expires. The N63 engine is perhaps the worst engine BMW has ever made. Just google N63 problems. Best of luck with that POS for you, hope BMW covers the repair costs for that "brilliant piece of German engineering"
Old 08-17-16, 08:41 AM
nuck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Dump that POS before the warranty expires. The N63 engine is perhaps the worst engine BMW has ever made. Just google N63 problems. Best of luck with that POS for you, hope BMW covers the repair costs for that "brilliant piece of German engineering"
Thanks I squeezed the owner pretty good on the price based on those N63 reports. I have been through the Nikasil scares in my XJR and dropping valve reports with my Z06 Corvette which hit me on resale but never actually in repairs. But if it it seems like the car is going to become a shop queen I will move it before the warranty is up. Would still need the awd power combo and the choices are narrow.
Old 08-17-16, 08:43 AM
nuck
Driver School Candidate

The power is substantial and the toys are first rate. Four different suspension settings which is great because it is a tank and needs the performance mode on the twisties.

Originally Posted by bagwell
congrats! please keep reporting back here with updates.

oh and don't forget pics!
Attached Thumbnails What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?-d2579f5c-6de0-422a-87c1-6c56b2c69315.jpg  
Old 08-17-16, 10:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

nice! love it in white and those are my favorite wheels.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-17-16, 10:30 AM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The power is substantial and the toys are first rate. Four different suspension settings which is great because it is a tank and needs the performance mode on the twisties.
Congrats. I love Alpine White. I know everybody harps on the reliability of BMW but the joy of driving one is worth any potential issues you have to deal with. I have a '16 M5 and I sit here trying to think of reasons to go drive somewhere. Never experienced that with any other car I've owned.

Quick Reply: What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?