Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suntek PPF vs XPEL ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-16, 04:11 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suntek PPF vs XPEL ultimate

I am in the market for PPF for my vehicle. I live in a very hot/dusty/humid climate. My vehicle is pearl white. I plan to add two coats of cquartz finest on top a few days after i am done installing it.

Its down to these two and maybe a possible third.

XPEL ultimate
Lots of great reviews. Seen a silver car that had Xpel ultimate on the hood and bumpers ( 1.5 years + ) no discoloration and very durable against rock chips and scratches. I noticed the side of the doors changed color very very slightly ( after 8 months ) Most people won't even notice the difference.

Suntek
Lots of great reviews online. Many prefer it over Xpel as its clearer with less orange Peel.
Installer told me it will yellow on a white car, he claims any clear bra will yellow on a white car and even the best won't last a year without yellowing.

Finally.
Nano Fusion
Installer tells me it will won't yellow, even on a white car.

All installers above are professional and experienced.

Thoughts?

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 08-07-16 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-07-16, 09:34 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Your installer is correct. All brands of clear bra will yellow on a white car.

How long it will take to yellow depends on how much time the car spends sitting outside in the sun.

I work in the industry, so I can give you an honest opinion on both, since Xpel and Suntek are the only two brands we offer at our shop.

XPEL:
-Has a stronger adhesive (this makes it more difficult to install and remove). Be ready to pay more $$ to a shop when the time comes to remove the film as Xpel has a tendency to leave more residue no matter what technique you use to remove it, whether it be steam or heat, or both. It also makes the film more difficult to install so any times we get a car in with Xpel, you will almost always see more installer errors on it (lift marks, stretch lines, etc.)
-Doesn't look anywhere near as good or clear as Suntek. Side by side, installed on the same vehicle it is a night and day difference,
-Advantage: 10yr warranty

Suntek:
-More user friendly adhesive making it easier to install and remove. This results in a more clean install and much quicker to remove. The less adhesive that's left behind after removing the film, the less you need to mess with the paint and therefore you are minimizing causing superficial damage to the paint during the removal process.
- Almost no orange peel at all.
Disadvantage: 5yr. warranty

In a nutshell, we push for Suntek almost every single time, unless there's a stubborn customer that really wants Xpel. Then they get Xpel.
Old 08-07-16, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I have Suntek on my LS, and decided on it over Xpel. Its beautiful, you would never know there was anything on it, very clear, no peel, I would choose it for sure.