Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Littleguy is correct, the Aston Martin Lagonda has been around for many years from 1976-1990 and even before that the 1961-1964 Lagonda Rapide laid the groundwork for the aforementioned Lagonda and our modern Rapide S. There are also a few custom Lagonda Taraf's based on the current Rapide S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Lagonda
that would be right up there on my list of ugliest cars ever made.
Old 08-13-16, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Reminds me of an anteater LOL.
Old 08-13-16, 01:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You're not alone. It was named by Bloomberg Businessweek as one of the 50 ugliest cars of the last 50 years and Time Magazine included it in its "50 Worst Cars of All Time"

The Lagonda was the first production car in the world to use computer management and a digital instrument panel, but was prone to gremlins up the wazoo.
Old 08-13-16, 02:19 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldcajun
1993 Lexus SC400. My first Lexus - it was pretty fast for the time, handled well, and was totally reliable when most cars weren't. I loved the body style and think it still looks good today.
I agree that was a beautiful car that still catches the eye today. Lexus designers really dropped the ball with the 2nd gen.
Old 08-13-16, 02:22 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

have no doubt that caddy was comfortable! i personally won't ever drive 9 hours without stopping a few times and taking stretches/walks anyway. my explorer had THE most comfortable seats i've been in for long distances. zero backache or anything regardless of how many hours i drove it.

as for handling well, if you thought it did, fine, and it may have for the primitive suspension it had.

i'll take the adaptive suspensions of today, or even non-adaptive suspensions are far superior than anything in the past.
Objectively speaking those old big Caddys were pretty bad cars, but there's no denying they had a certain charm and style to them. Those were real Cadillacs. While those Fleetwoods were before my time, I have many fond childhood memories of riding around in big Northstar V8-powered DeVilles and SRXs.

Last edited by BrownPride; 08-13-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 03:38 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Objectively speaking those old big Caddys were pretty bad cars, but there's no denying they had a certain charm and style to them. Those were real Cadillacs. While those Fleetwoods were before my time, I have many fond childhood memories of riding around in big Northstar V8-powered DeVilles and SRXs.
My girlfriend's son owned a '95 Eldorado with that Northstar v8. It had those batmobile cues along the body still and a gorgeous biscuit brown leather inside. I really liked that car. It had a nice exhaust note too. Just a total Sopranos sled. Just begged for a stack of Cuban cigars in the box
Old 08-13-16, 04:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

hey i'm a caddy fan too! remember renting an eldorado in vegas one time and cruising down the strip. good times.
i definitely love the idea of BIG, COMFORTABLE, and did i say BIG? i think the modern SUV has replaced the old cadillacs. it's probably why escalades sell so well!

Old 08-14-16, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

hey i'm a caddy fan too! remember renting an eldorado in vegas one time and cruising down the strip. good times.
i definitely love the idea of BIG, COMFORTABLE, and did i say BIG? i think the modern SUV has replaced the old cadillacs. it's probably why escalades sell so well!
Modern luxury SUV's though, even the Escalade, can't quite equal the Magic-Carpet ride comfort of the old Caddys.
Old 08-14-16, 04:06 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Speaking of big Caddys, I was at a cars & coffee this morning where a couple old Eldorados showed up. One was from the late 60s and the other the model which dominated the 70s. While they're a far cry compared to the heydays of the 50s models, they still had a lot of style and were simply massive. The interiors had that classic ancient vinyl smell.
Old 08-14-16, 07:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Modern luxury SUV's though, even the Escalade, can't quite equal the Magic-Carpet ride comfort of the old Caddys.
ah but unlike old caddy's high end mercedes actually have a magic ride

Old 08-14-16, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and if escalade doesn't quite do it, you should go test drive a mercedes GL with airmatic which will blow away any ancient cadillac.
Old 08-17-16, 02:19 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually I'd argue those big body on frame Cadillacs, excluding 1981-1985 model years were actually much more reliable cars than their FWD counterparts, regardless if those FWD cars had a 4.1, 4.5, 4,9 or Northstar V8. Cadillac never did get it right with their FWD powertrains, no matter the year. They got pretty close with the 4.9 V8 from 1991 to 1995, which was reliable, but only 200hp and FWD. Which is totally sad, considering that was almost a 20 year period for Cadillac.
Old 08-22-16, 04:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Speaking of big Caddys, I was at a cars & coffee this morning where a couple old Eldorados showed up. One was from the late 60s and the other the model which dominated the 70s. While they're a far cry compared to the heydays of the 50s models, they still had a lot of style and were simply massive. The interiors had that classic ancient vinyl smell.
What up Playa?

Attached Thumbnails Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car .  . .-wedding-arrival003.jpg  
Old 07-29-19, 03:35 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

We just let go of this one, traded for the LC500. It was over 5 years old, time for another one. But with the new generation of Continentals coming out, the Lexus will be a neat change of pace for a couple of years, maybe more. Addicted to that sound.
Old 07-29-19, 03:36 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Quick Reply: Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .