Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All 2017 Ford vehicles getting CarPlay and Android Auto (updated Waze info)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default All 2017 Ford vehicles getting CarPlay and Android Auto (updated Waze info)

nice!!

Ford has confirmed that all of its 2017 models -- every single car, SUV, light truck and EV -- are smartphone-ready. They all come loaded with Ford'sSync 3 entertainment system and are compatible with Apple CarPlay andAndroid Auto. Those who've snapped any of the currently available 2017 models, such as the latest Escape, Fusion, Mustang and Explorer, can already enjoy the in-car technologies. They can use their iPhones (5 or newer) or their Android Lollipop (or higher) devices to access maps, music, messages and even third-party apps on their vehicles' screens. Both systems give them access to voice commands, as well.

Ford also assures those interested in buying the upcoming F-150, Focus, Edge and all-new 2017 Super Duty when they come out later this year that they'll have access to Google's and Apple's in-car tech. "Ford is not taking the traditional approach of introducing Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto on a few piecemeal models or as an expensive option on luxury vehicles only," said Jeffrey Hannah from automotive technology research firm SBD. "The guesswork for consumers is over -- if you buy any 2017 Ford vehicle with SYNC 3, you drive off the lot with both of these innovative technologies ready to go."
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/...apple-carplay/
Old 07-25-16, 09:27 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't Chevy already done this.
Old 07-25-16, 12:19 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hope at some point in the very near future that Lexus/Toyota changes their commitment to avoiding Carplay and Android Auto. Entune is years behind and nothing will every be more up to date and give more freedom then the actual manufacturers of the phone having their software compatible with the head units. At this point isn't Toyota / Lexus the only major manufacturer that has not committed to Android Auto / Carplay. It is literally the only reason why getting back in a Lexus is not on my list and it is very frustrating as that is what we want our next car purchase to be again. Think about the basic lexus maps compared to constantly updated Google maps with real live traffic and now that google has a stake in Waze, full waze integration. Even kia is making both Android Auto and Carplay available on all new models and even an upgrade to models from 2 years ago at no charge.
Old 07-25-16, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
I really hope at some point in the very near future that Lexus/Toyota changes their commitment to avoiding Carplay and Android Auto.
I agree, there should be no reason as to why Toyota is not offering Apple Carplay or Android Auto on their cars. I can understand maybe the Lexus models don't do well with the remote touch when Apple is always touch screen, but the current Toyota lineup is mostly touchscreen and should offer it.
Old 07-25-16, 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

question about carplay / android auto - does it mean you don't need in car nav because the phone's nav is displayed on the car screen?
Old 07-25-16, 03:20 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bitkahuna the car just needs a color monitor - so for most vehicles it is vehicles with nav but hyundia and kia have models that just have a color screen with no nav so when you connect your phone you now have full nav and endless other smartphone integration features. Many cars that do not offer touch screen(like most Audi's) have full carplay and android integration for 17 model year and on. Whatever reasoning Lexus / Toyota has just makes no sense to me whatseover, they are missing out on key young buyers especially 18-40. Many of my friends are only shopping for cars that have this type of integration and just recently my friend purchased a civic instead of a corolla simply because of these features. It's pretty rad - full spotify and text functionality, when you are parked you can watch YouTube etc. As for me the RX 350 and/or GS 350 F-Sport would be at the top of my list but I am not even considering them now. There is an aftermarket company that sells a harness for AA and CP but it worries me to start tearing the dash apart on a brand new 50k+ vehicle.
Old 07-26-16, 12:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Perhaps it's as simple as Toyota/Lexus wanting people to flip for the extra dough on the Nav option? How are the other brands trying to convince buyers to buy their navigation option when the Apple and Android features are already part of the deal?

Also wondering, is there a chance these car makers (like Ford) increase sticker prices when giving away all these new features? In the past, nothing has been for free with car makers. And how much does it cost these brands to add such tech into the mix? If it's just a few ticks of programming, that can't cost a whole lot.
Old 07-26-16, 03:02 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

It'll simply be rolled into the cost of the base vehicle just like A/C, or air bags.
Old 07-26-16, 05:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

it can't cost much (basically software). but ford making it simple (all vehicles will get it) is a bold and smart marketing move. from a fiesta to a loaded f150 you'll get it. great win.
will they potentially lose some revenue from options they might no longer sell - maybe, but i expect they'll make it up in increased volume, and reduced complexity / simplicity in manufacturing and inventory.
Old 07-26-16, 06:17 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Lexus and Toyota have got to be stone dumb to ignore this. Nobody wants to pay extra for Nav if they don't have to. The Lexus Display Audio system is a bad joke, it's almost like they want you to get Nav if you want decent multimedia functionality. Most people (me included) use their phones for primary navigation with the in-car unit as backup because online map apps have superior traffic avoidance features and much more detailed POI databases.
Old 07-26-16, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i have nav in my car but half the time i just use my phone anyway "ok google, directions to starbucks" lol
Old 07-26-16, 07:44 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have nav in my car but half the time i just use my phone anyway "ok google, directions to starbucks" lol
I subbed for XM NavTraffic in my LS for the year and don't plan on renewing as my phone maps are more comprehensive and reliable.
Old 07-26-16, 01:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I subbed for XM NavTraffic in my LS for the year and don't plan on renewing as my phone maps are more comprehensive and reliable.
The SiriusXM NavTraffic was so bad. That's why Lexus dropped them for every service except Sat Radio. NavTraffic is no longer subscription based in 2014+ models with generation 8 or higher navigation
Old 07-26-16, 01:55 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The SiriusXM NavTraffic was so bad. That's why Lexus dropped them for every service except Sat Radio. NavTraffic is no longer subscription based in 2014+ models with generation 8 or higher navigation
You dash my hopes of upgrading to a '13! Now will have to target a '14+ when the time comes!
Old 07-26-16, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
You dash my hopes of upgrading to a '13! Now will have to target a '14+ when the time comes!
Maybe dashed a little more. Iirc, the '14 IS, GX and CT have Gen8. The 2015 ES, GS, LS, NX, RC have Gen8. The system works decently, has the built-in NavTraffic, and ability to voice the entire address vs Gen7 and below which you have to go through individual voice prompts for 'city, street, house#'. My one complaint is Gen8 is rather sluggish. They seem to have corrected it with Gen9 on the '16 ES, GS, RX, LX, as it seems to have more processing power.

In case anyone was curious as to the Infotainment look since MY2010 models.

Gen6

Gen7

Gen8

Gen9

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-26-16 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: All 2017 Ford vehicles getting CarPlay and Android Auto (updated Waze info)