Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota building new twin-turbo V6, to appear in GS, LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 04:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota building new twin-turbo V6, to appear in GS, LS

The current 4th-gen Lexus GS started with the 2013 model year and went on sale back in 2012. Counting the 6-year life span for a typical Lexus model, the all-new 5th-gen GS will debut in late 2017 or early 2018 as the 2019 model. The 3.0L twin-turbo V6 will also appear on the redesigned 5th-gen Lexus LS, slated to bow to the audience early next year.

According to the Japanese auto media Mag-X and also some of our sources, the biggest news for the new GS will be its powertrain:
  • The 2.0L turbocharged I4 (8AR-FTS) engine will get a power bump, and peak torque will be raised to around 270 lb-ft;
  • A newly developed 3.0L twin-turbo engine (Toyota internal code: 943F) will join the Lexus family, with maximum output more than 400 hp, torque over 300 lb-ft (a source said the exact number is 325 lb-ft);.
Source
Old 07-22-16, 04:08 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wonder if this TT V6 is making it's way into new supposed Supra. It should go in a IS to compete with the Infiniti TT V6 Q50 and BMW's 3 series. Either way hope it's true.
Old 07-22-16, 05:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I sure hope they make a TT V6
Old 07-22-16, 05:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Wonder if this TT V6 is making it's way into new supposed Supra. It should go in a IS to compete with the Infiniti TT V6 Q50 and BMW's 3 series. Either way hope it's true.
i hope it doesn't, Supra needs an I6 all the way. I6 is way more sports car
Old 07-22-16, 05:35 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

i'm sure i'll get a barrage of replies detailing all the benefits of a TT V6 vs a N/A V8, but so far any TT V6 that i've encountered just doesn't sound like it belongs in a full size flagship luxury car. i have a rich indian friend who just got a quattroporte and it honestly sounds worse than my moms MDX (great sounding engine btw haha). granted the majority of owners want as little noise as possible so from a business standpoint i'm sure toyota made the right decision (as they almost always do) but the response, sound, and power delivery from a naturally aspirated engine can't be replicated. no replacement for displacement lol... i'm sure i'll be the only one disappointed though so whatever. i'm not exactly in the market for a new LS anyway.
Old 07-22-16, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm sure i'll get a barrage of replies detailing all the benefits of a TT V6 vs a N/A V8, but so far any TT V6 that i've encountered just doesn't sound like it belongs in a full size flagship luxury car. i have a rich indian friend who just got a quattroporte and it honestly sounds worse than my moms MDX (great sounding engine btw haha). granted the majority of owners want as little noise as possible so from a business standpoint i'm sure toyota made the right decision (as they almost always do) but the response, sound, and power delivery from a naturally aspirated engine can't be replicated. no replacement for displacement lol... i'm sure i'll be the only one disappointed though so whatever. i'm not exactly in the market for a new LS anyway.
I disagree, the idea of no replacement for displacement is an obsolete term. Carmakers very easily can mute a V6 turbo so you do not hear it. But what you are forgetting is that new models from Lexus actually have sound pumped into the cabin or the sound is a faux sound that is created digitally. The TTV6 in the Cadillac CT6 is pretty impressive, I'm sure Toyota will get it right.
Old 07-22-16, 05:45 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i hope it doesn't, Supra needs an I6 all the way. I6 is way more sports car
Me too would love a 3.5L Inline 6 my interpretation of a 3JZ ha ha but a TT V6 will be something. Toyota has been boring lately when it comes to power no offense to those with NA V8 F cars.
Old 07-22-16, 06:07 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I would take the rumored HP/TQ specs of the V6TT engine with a grain of salt as the original Japanese source (Mag-X) mentioned that this motor would be used on the next-gen GS-F which makes no sense at all.

Original Japanese Source- http://car.kurumagt.com/2015-gsf.html

Lexus Enthusiast also posted an article earlier this year about the same rumors of the 5th Gen GS that were derived from the Mag-X source and based on the disconnect of mentioning that this V6TT motor will be the one used for the next-gen GS-F, it made this speculation less than believable:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/05/...tion-lexus-gs/

Originally Posted by Lexus Enthusiast
A confusing rumor has surfaced on a Japanese weblog regarding the next-generation Lexus GS — the information appears to be from Mag-X, so let’s paraphrase by way of Google Translate:

The rear-wheel drive front-engine TNGA platform will be adopted in the next-generation Lexus GS released in 2018. The current GS F is running a 5.0L V8 engine, but the new 2018 model will use a newly developed 3.0L V6 twin-turbo engine with a maximum output of more than 400ps/394hp.

The new engine has been given a designation of 943F, and will have a maximum torque is expected to longitudinal 45.0kgf-m (translates to 325lb/ft). This downsized engine will also be available in the next-generation LS released next year.
There’s enough here to be interesting, but the obvious errors erode any kind of believability — assuming the rumor has to do with the GS and not the GS F, there’s no way a twin-turbo V6 engine putting out 394 horsepower will have only 325lb.ft of torque.
Old 07-22-16, 07:03 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I would take the rumored HP/TQ specs of the V6TT engine with a grain of salt as the original Japanese source (Mag-X) mentioned that this motor would be used on the next-gen GS-F which makes no sense at all.

Original Japanese Source- http://car.kurumagt.com/2015-gsf.html

Lexus Enthusiast also posted an article earlier this year about the same rumors of the 5th Gen GS that were derived from the Mag-X source and based on the disconnect of mentioning that this V6TT motor will be the one used for the next-gen GS-F, it made this speculation less than believable:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/05/...tion-lexus-gs/
Oh, there is a way. But it would have to be a high revver and certainly they would be able to bring more horsepower and torque out of a 3L twin turbo unless they were just being really conservative.
Old 07-22-16, 09:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Carmakers very easily can mute a V6 turbo so you do not hear it. But what you are forgetting is that new models from Lexus actually have sound pumped into the cabin or the sound is a faux sound that is created digitally.
yes that's my point, the TT V6 is too quiet. and when i say too quiet, i mean the noise that comes from the engine itself, not the exhaust. anything can have a loud exhaust.
Old 07-22-16, 11:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I wouldn't worry about noise levels- too quiet or too loud. All that can be controlled through insulation or artificial sound enhancements.
Well, I'll just say it's about time. Better late than never. I also hope to see this filter into the IS.
Old 07-23-16, 02:02 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Little too late to enter with a TTV6...

and where is a TTV8? They need that in the F models.
Old 07-23-16, 02:39 AM
finewayne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The use of a V6 would mean that the Supra could potentially rival Nissan’s GT-R, which swapped to a twin-turbo V6 from its tradition inline-six engine with the R35-gen model.

Old 07-23-16, 04:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by finewayne
The use of a V6 would mean that the Supra could potentially rival Nissan’s GT-R, which swapped to a twin-turbo V6 from its tradition inline-six engine with the R35-gen model.

With a 3.8L in the R35 a 3.0 TTV6 from Toyota won't be much of a rival imo. Unless they plan to add some sort of electric motors up front or something similar to the NSX. Back in the 90's the Supra had a 3.0 I6 and the 300ZX had a 3.0 V6 so somewhat matched.
Old 07-23-16, 11:39 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

They need something. About time to stop stuffing that NA 3.5L in every car they make. That's very old technology and one of the reasons most of their cars are so dull and lifeless. How do you feel driving a $55k+ GS with the same motor as a $20k V6 Camry?

Quick Reply: Toyota building new twin-turbo V6, to appear in GS, LS