Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Head 2 Head GSF vs CTS-V Motor Trend video

Old 07-20-16, 10:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I still think of that CTS as one size smaller than the mid-sized GS. Feels odd to compare the two, even though I know the CTS has grown lately. But that's Cadillac's problem right now, not Lexus.

Otherwise, yes. The GSF is too pricey. This is a bad habit that seems to be gaining some speed lately. Other cars that originally promised lowered pricing but arrived with jacked up pricing include the NSX, R8, and LFA. At least it seems incentives are now bringing the GSF back down to reality.
Although I agree with the pricey statement, I guess its a safe play by Lexus. See the way I see it is, its better to launch with a high price, and then pack in incentives when the going gets hard to move these then, to start low, have the same failure and be unable to offer high incentives the clears out units. Plus with the intent of Lexus in the long run to position the F brand as a competitor to the AMG and M divisions, anything lower might take away the prestige these brands carry as an value to potential customers
Old 07-21-16, 12:05 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 153 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So am I the only one who likes the previous gen IS-F better than the new GS-F??? Same engine(brilliant engine, even if its down on hp vs the now boosted competition) as the IS-F, but in a larger, heavier, less athletic car that costs 20-30k more. Plus I like the cleaner styling on the IS-F, the front end on the GS-F is just too much, especially considering how plain the rest of the car looks.
No, you are not the only one. I loved that thing and would easily consider a new ISF in the form of the last generation. It was truly special inside and out. I remember one track day at Fontana when the race driver threw us into a corner as hard as he could and the tires would just not break grip. Then the sound at full throttle... it sounded like a stock car. Crazy wild.

Not having an ISF right now is yet another corporate mistake by this company. They could be peddling a lot more of those than the narrow market and more expensive GSF. The RCF has also not caught on, mainly due to being an impractical coupe.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-22-16 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 01:55 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

finally i've been waiting for this video

whoa it's true, you can't do a burnout in the gsf ? heheheh

Last edited by pman6; 07-21-16 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The GS-F got bashed pretty hard by these guys. It does look ugly and needs a turbo.
Old 07-21-16, 09:33 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The GS-F got bashed pretty hard by these guys. It does look ugly and needs a turbo.
Well its not like they went in on the GSF like the RCF. They did like the Lexus take on the mid size performance sedan in certain aspects. However with the class competitors just encapsulating soo much more brute force and/or precision handling its hard to make a case for the car.

But hey, as long as Lexus keeps piling on the incentives the GSF will make its own case
Old 07-21-16, 09:35 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6
finally i've been waiting for this video

whoa it's true, you can't do a burnout in the gsf ? heheheh
From the get, apparently the F versions of the car seem to have the issue. However if you knock it into expert mode, its fun unlimited.
Old 07-21-16, 11:55 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Well its not like they went in on the GSF like the RCF. They did like the Lexus take on the mid size performance sedan in certain aspects. However with the class competitors just encapsulating soo much more brute force and/or precision handling its hard to make a case for the car.

But hey, as long as Lexus keeps piling on the incentives the GSF will make its own case
Out of curiosity, what incentives has Lexus offered on the GSF?

I may be in the market eventually
Old 07-21-16, 12:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Out of curiosity, what incentives has Lexus offered on the GSF?

I may be in the market eventually
Last I heard was $8k rebate.
Old 07-21-16, 12:44 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Last I heard was $8k rebate.
Wow, pretty aggressive. I may consider one but perhaps still used. I need to drive one too, ha! Hoping its not too stiff knowing it does not have the adjustable dampers my F sport has.
Old 07-21-16, 01:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Wow, pretty aggressive. I may consider one but perhaps still used. I need to drive one too, ha! Hoping its not too stiff knowing it does not have the adjustable dampers my F sport has.
Right now, thats sounds about right. If you wait till past December to Remember, you`ll be in for the motherload of incentives. The only thing that might hamper is that Lexus has somehow using what they learned on the RCF situation, drastically lowering production volumes then they have already, and by year end only have 10-15 vehicles in the entire US.
Old 07-22-16, 05:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wonder what kinda deals you can get on a CTS-V. The regular CTS sold horribly, guess what will sell even worse? A CTS-V, especially after increasing its MSRP 20k over the outgoing V
Old 07-22-16, 06:16 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wonder what kinda deals you can get on a CTS-V. The regular CTS sold horribly, guess what will sell even worse? A CTS-V, especially after increasing its MSRP 20k over the outgoing V
If anything someone who wanted one could wait for depreciation. It's almost crazy how much you can get the previous gen for nowadays.
Old 07-22-16, 07:35 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
GSF deals are about 8K without haggling
CTSV deals are about 3k without haggling

So far the F lineup is a budget minded driver. You sacrifice a bit, but with insane numbers you can step right into one. With 25% off the RCF on the remaining 15s back at the end of Q1 16. I can see something coming on the 16s F series near the end of Q1 17. The used market is not worth it on these vehicle just yet. You would need to wait to at least the mid cycle refresh to make depreciation something of a reason to purchase one used.

Old 07-24-16, 02:27 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my ISF from a local Lexus dealership, the finance manager told me they're having a hard time moving the GSF off their lot. Out of the three they had for a while now, they've only sold one whereas the RCF was selling decently. The GSF looks great in person and the fit and fitness is top notch. However, for around $90k, the GSF is way overpriced IMO when compared to it's competitors. Toyota/Lexus should of brought back the ISF, gave it the V8 from the RCF and sold it at around $65k-70k. Would of sold better than the GSF.
Old 07-24-16, 08:47 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
When I bought my ISF from a local Lexus dealership, the finance manager told me they're having a hard time moving the GSF off their lot. Out of the three they had for a while now, they've only sold one whereas the RCF was selling decently. The GSF looks great in person and the fit and fitness is top notch. However, for around $90k, the GSF is way overpriced IMO when compared to it's competitors. Toyota/Lexus should of brought back the ISF, gave it the V8 from the RCF and sold it at around $65k-70k. Would of sold better than the GSF.
That would expose the devaluation of the F series models, something that Lexus bean counters do not want to do for residuals sake and future sales (Lexus doesnt do this alone, you`ll find this with other performance marques as well). The RCF was cutback in production, coupled with 12-14% incentive packages off the bat, at this point if the RCF doesnt do well, its going to be one hell of a board meeting to continue production. However since the secrets been out that the RCF doesnt move as well, dealers have come to terms with trying to move units. They know what the market will take, and are doing that without any fuss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head 2 Head GSF vs CTS-V Motor Trend video