Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any good reason for no built-in dash cam recorders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-16, 10:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Any good reason for no built-in dash cam recorders?

Is there any good reason why manufacturers don't give us built-in dash cams?
Then we could have four built-in camera recorders, with two built into the wing mirrors.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-17-16 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-17-16, 10:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

some cars out there now have this feature, but it is mainly used as a track video. I believe the corvette can record the front cam but someone here can attest to that.

I think it is just the cameras are a bit new to the car industry and also only available on higher end vehicles. While cars have had rear cameras for a while now, very few people feel the need to have a "rear dash cams" since it is almost always assumed it is the fault of the driver behind you.

side cameras really only look at blind spots and i am not sure how valuable that video feed would be.

front cameras are still very rare. for a while, bmw only had the camera on the right and left fender. Lexus also did this on the LX. Only now with surround view cameras are front cameras being installed. As to why they dont record, not sure. probably because they would have to implement some kind of SD card slot for this specific purpose. Then some kind of user interface in the navigation to deal with the download and storage.
Old 07-17-16, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you referring to something that films for a recording, or films for seeing a view around you?
If the first, then it goes both ways. Dash cams can help detect and watch bad drivers and their errors. But they can also watch your own bad driving and record your own errors. Self incrimination. I don't think many want to be discovered for their bad habits. And I've noticed over the years many/most who have dash cams, are the ones with the heavily modded cars.... also being the more inconsiderate and risk-taking types on the road.
Old 07-17-16, 10:48 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

However, people install surveillance cameras in their offices and homes without self incrimination, so I would have thought they'd be happy with built in dash cam recorders in their motor vehicles too?
Old 07-18-16, 06:17 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Myself and a few members a while back were trying to come up with an idea of a 360 degree dashcam, similar to the googlemaps car system, but on a MUCH smaller scale. One of the members I believe contacted Lexus with this idea, however was shot down saying they only accept ideas internally.

I am currently running 2 dashcams in my car, one in the front and one in the back. It's such a cheap technology that I feel that it would be easy for manufacturers to integrate it into their cars, and have all 4 cameras wired to the same DVR. A package as such could run easily in the $1k range if they wanna make a buck off it.

I've caught a minor accident already on my dashcam (not an accident I had, but another individual), and I've had some near misses of my own.

Here is an example of a lady who almost hit me. Sorry for the potty mouth.

Old 07-18-16, 02:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

OEM always lag behind the aftermarket crowd. I'm sure it'll be a standard feature in a decade.
Old 07-18-16, 02:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can't film most US bridges or tunnels, so there's also that. I guess they could make the dashcam integrate with GPS where it automatically shuts off around locations with camera restrictions.

That being said, in my truck I have a Garmin DEZL gps unit, that is made specifically for truckers. It's got a built in dashcam with awesome quality, much better than anything on ebay. It pretty much rivals my GoPro.
Old 07-18-16, 03:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know the new Tacomas have a go-pro mount on the windshield standard.

I'm amazed that manufacturers haven't figured this one out, especially with how popular dash cams are in Russia and other eastern bloc countries. You'd think they'd figure out how to charge $500 or $1000 for a simple front and rear camera with DVR storage built into the nav unit.
Old 07-19-16, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I personally wouldn't want an OEM dash cam. I can understand the appeal, and should I choose to add one thats one thing, but if everybody knows my vehicle records everything, and that information can be subpoenaed, I'll pass.
Old 07-19-16, 08:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I personally wouldn't want an OEM dash cam. I can understand the appeal, and should I choose to add one thats one thing, but if everybody knows my vehicle records everything, and that information can be subpoenaed, I'll pass.
paranoid much? btw, worst case you could always turn it off or pull the fuse during a drug deal, then switch it back on afterwards j/k!

Last edited by bagwell; 07-19-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-19-16, 08:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Is there any good reason why manufacturers don't give us built-in dash cams?
Then we could have four built-in camera recorders, with two built into the wing mirrors.
Because barely anyone would use it, and they are looking to cut production costs, not add to them. I could see it as an option. I think the Corvette has this feature available.
Old 07-19-16, 08:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when dash cams are so inexpensive why would you want an OEM camera?
Old 07-19-16, 09:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
You can't film most US bridges or tunnels, so there's also that.
I'm calling shenanigans on this--what is your authority that you can't film a bridge or a tunnel, as opposed to any other public place? The only restriction I could find was the NYC film office, as it relates to filming a movie or tv show.
Old 07-19-16, 09:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
paranoid much? btw, worst case you could always turn it off or pull the fuse during a drug deal, then switch it back on afterwards
Ha--that's what people said about EZ pass, until divorce lawyers and other investigators started getting access to those records. It's not always about intentionally engaging in illegal activity.
Old 07-19-16, 01:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm calling shenanigans on this--what is your authority that you can't film a bridge or a tunnel, as opposed to any other public place? The only restriction I could find was the NYC film office, as it relates to filming a movie or tv show.
There are no camera signs pretty much at all NYC bridges and tunnels.

Quick Reply: Any good reason for no built-in dash cam recorders?