Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally, a young reckless driver who accepts some responsibility for his actions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

That's quite the coincidence. Most people who live here have never made that left turn.
Old 07-15-16, 05:02 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I get around a lot.
Old 07-15-16, 05:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Tracks are boring. Scenery is too repetitive.
+1 on that.
Old 07-15-16, 05:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK....I see what you mean. Yes, BMW has done that before.....offered vehicles with M-chassis components and non-M powerplants. An old colleague of mine had one of the old 540s with the M-chassis (M-Sport) package.
My 330ci is like that too.
Old 07-15-16, 05:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Again, you assume nothing when it comes to driving. Especially the Volt driver was from the area, so he was familiar with the road and he must have known that particular left turn can be hazardous - so he should have been extra cautious.

The BMW slammed the volt doing 75mph, so it means it slowed down 40mph from 115mph to 75mph. I'm not an expert on physics or math, but it seems to me that even if BMW was traveling just a bit over the 45mph limit, say 65mph, it might still have been a close call or even a minor accident.

When it comes to left turns, there are too many drivers that simply don't pay attention and can't judge speed or distance. Just ask motorcycle riders what they think about that.
I don't think it is linear. Slowing down 120 to 80 should take a lot longer than 40 to 0. f = m.a
Old 07-15-16, 05:46 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The guy was in the wrong, there's no questioning that. But a long sentence is clearly not the answer.
The kid knows how to play chess.
Old 07-15-16, 08:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Again, you assume nothing when it comes to driving. Especially the Volt driver was from the area, so he was familiar with the road and he must have known that particular left turn can be hazardous - so he should have been extra cautious.

The BMW slammed the volt doing 75mph, so it means it slowed down 40mph from 115mph to 75mph. I'm not an expert on physics or math, but it seems to me that even if BMW was traveling just a bit over the 45mph limit, say 65mph, it might still have been a close call or even a minor accident.

When it comes to left turns, there are too many drivers that simply don't pay attention and can't judge speed or distance. Just ask motorcycle riders what they think about that.
Seems to me you are making some assumptions yourself.
Old 07-15-16, 08:07 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I assume that my hard earned money will be paying for this kids room and board soon.

Thanks, Prison Complex.
Old 07-15-16, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I assume that my hard earned money will be paying for this kids room and board soon.

Thanks, Prison Complex.
There have to be serious consequences for people's actions. You've seen what lack of consequences for prior actions has done here.
Old 07-15-16, 09:21 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There have to be serious consequences for people's actions. You've seen what lack of consequences for prior actions has done here.
If he's so dangerous then put him down like a rabid dog and save yourself the cost.
Old 07-15-16, 09:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If he's so dangerous then put him down like a rabid dog and save yourself the cost.
That would be a gross overreaction.

It's not about him being dangerous, it's about there being consequences to people's actions. He's not a murderer, he's simply a person who's gross negligence contributed to the deaths of 3 people. You have to do something to deter others from making those same choices.
Old 07-15-16, 09:43 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

He won't learn anything languishing in prison.

A short term and a long term community service commitment has more potential to cure what ails.
Old 07-15-16, 11:25 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

The crash that happened when I was in high school also involved a high powered BMW. Those girls were hurrying home because they were late for curfew..

When he was 20, my little bro hit a tree and flipped the car when he was trying to get home before "curfew"
He was driving impaired.

We told him since then never to drive impaired regardless of any deadline. Park somewhere quiet and take a nap.

If you miss curfew, oh well. Better than losing your life. Kids need to be taught some common sense
Old 07-16-16, 05:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He won't learn anything languishing in prison.

A short term and a long term community service commitment has more potential to cure what ails.
I don't think community service serves as a deterrent for crime. It's an imperfect system, but it's what we have.

Originally Posted by pman6
When he was 20, my little bro hit a tree and flipped the car when he was trying to get home before "curfew"
He was driving impaired.

We told him since then never to drive impaired regardless of any deadline. Park somewhere quiet and take a nap.

If you miss curfew, oh well. Better than losing your life. Kids need to be taught some common sense
These girls weren't drinking, they were just in a hurry and the driver didn't know how to control the car once she started to skid.

It's true, I was always told that if I was ever in a position where I needed help vs doing something unsafe I could call my parents and they'd come get me no questions asked. Certainly in that situation "mom, dad, if we drive home I'm breaking curfew, can you come get me?"

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-16-16 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-16-16, 06:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure the 15 year old surviving orphan sees it the same way.

Quick Reply: Finally, a young reckless driver who accepts some responsibility for his actions