Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally, a young reckless driver who accepts some responsibility for his actions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 03:34 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracks are boring. Scenery is too repetitive.
Old 07-15-16, 03:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
ok maybe "totally fine" wasn't a good choice of words but on a wide open interstate with NO POSSIBLE WAY for another car to merge in front of you i still don't believe that me and him were in the same situation. but trust me i would never do what he did, that's just incredibly reckless. and being a criminal doesn't make you a bad person. but i have generally darwinian views on life and feel that we don't need so many laws to keep society in check. a murderer doesn't care that it's illegal, neither does a robber. people will do what they want to do.
Even if there is no one on the road at all, you get a tire blow out at 165mph and you'll flip over, crash and die. And then the rest of us have to foot the bill for your darwinism when emergency workers are scraping your body parts off the asphalt.
Old 07-15-16, 03:39 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Tracks are boring. Scenery is too repetitive.
i like your style haha... and it's true.
Old 07-15-16, 03:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The m235i that he was driving is a very loud car with very bright lights. Very hard not to notice, especially when its flying at such rate of speed. The volt driver likely didn't pay attention or has very poor judgement when it comes to sense of speed.

The way I see it - the BMW driver was being reckless and the Volt driver was being a slowpoke. Unfortunately they met and it cost them their lives, and lives of others.
The M235 isn't a BMW "M" car. It's got the same 3.0L six as a 335i. It's not a "very loud car". Blame the victim if you want--the BMW driver was doing 115 in a 45--there's no way that they could have known the BMW would come on them as fast at it did.
Old 07-15-16, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The m235i that he was driving is a very loud car with very bright lights. Very hard not to notice, especially when its flying at such rate of speed. The volt driver likely didn't pay attention or has very poor judgement when it comes to sense of speed.

The way I see it - the BMW driver was being reckless and the Volt driver was being a slowpoke. Unfortunately they met and it cost them their lives, and lives of others.
No offense, but you don't really understand the situation here because you have no idea where the accident occurred.

This is a satellite Image of where the accident occurred (the site is circled):

The Volt was turning left from the Southeastern lanes, headed towards Whitman High School. The BMW was oncoming traveling Northwest. As you can see there is a treed median there, and the oncoming lane curves gently, that is also a downhill area there and Pyle Rd is at the bottom of that downhill.

So when you make that left, you cannot see cars at the top of that hill when they are within that turn, they're blocked by the crest of the hill and the trees. Normally thats fine, even if you don't see a car until you have committed to the turn, you have time to get across the road because the speed limit is 45.

At a speed of 115, you would not have time to get across the oncoming lanes before you got hit by the BMW. So, how could the Volt driver have any fault? He would have had to know the BMW was coming before he could see it, and he would have had to realize it was going to fast at night when all he could see was its headlights. Hear it? How could you hear it from 1/4 mile away when inside another car?

if it was on the autobahn you wouldn't be saying anything. and it was basically on the autobahn.
The autobahn is completely different. The stretches of it that are unlimited speed are designed for that speed, and other drivers are cognizant that people will be traveling those speeds. Not all of the Autobahn is unlimited speed.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-15-16 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 03:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

if it was on the autobahn you wouldn't be saying anything. and it was basically on the autobahn.
But--it's not the Autobahn, so, you are right. Go live in Germany and drive 165 on the Autobahn.

I've lived on Long Island, but it's been a few years. Maybe you can refresh my memory of the Long Island Autobahn?
Old 07-15-16, 03:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
The M235 isn't a BMW "M" car. It's got the same 3.0L six as a 335i. It's not a "very loud car". Blame the victim if you want--the BMW driver was doing 115 in a 45--there's no way that they could have known the BMW would come on them as fast at it did.
I'm not blaming it on the victim, I'm blaming it on both of them. BMW driver was being a reckless idiot and Volt driver should have had better judgement. There are way too many slowpokes on the road (and a lot of them drive cars like Prius and Volts) that have zero ability to sense speed and distance. Unless the BMW suddenly appeared from over the hill when it was too late to react, there is no reason why he couldn't sense how fast the car is approaching, especially in a straight head on situation.
Old 07-15-16, 03:48 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

But--it's not the Autobahn, so, you are right. Go live in Germany and drive 165 on the Autobahn.

I've lived on Long Island, but it's been a few years. Maybe you can refresh my memory of the Long Island Autobahn?
certainly, it's called the L.I.E. but no joke if you drive 55 on that road (the "limit") you're a greater danger than doing 85. doing 55 you'll get passed by EVERYONE! literally not an exaggeration.
Old 07-15-16, 03:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

certainly, it's called the L.I.E. but no joke if you drive 55 on that road (the "limit") you're a greater danger than doing 85. doing 55 you'll get passed by EVERYONE! literally not an exaggeration.
When did you ever get to do 55 on the L.I.E.? Usually its crawling at 0.5mph.
Old 07-15-16, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The M235 isn't a BMW "M" car. It's got the same 3.0L six as a 335i. It's not a "very loud car".
BMW officially lists it as an M2 on its website. The article, however, refers to "M235". I think the "35" part, as you indicate (and I agree with you on that), comes from the 335-sourced power plant.

Blame the victim if you want--the BMW driver was doing 115 in a 45--there's no way that they could have known the BMW would come on them as fast at it did.
Yes, it's pretty obvious here where the fault lies. You hit somebody in a suburban neighborhood going triple-digit speeds....it's not easy to shift any blame.
Old 07-15-16, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I'm not blaming it on the victim, I'm blaming it on both of them. BMW driver was being a reckless idiot and Volt driver should have had better judgement. There are way too many slowpokes on the road (and a lot of them drive cars like Prius and Volts) that have zero ability to sense speed and distance. Unless the BMW suddenly appeared from over the hill when it was too late to react, there is no reason why he couldn't sense how fast the car is approaching, especially in a straight head on situation.
In this situation you're letting your prejudice against drivers of Volts cloud your judgement. I've made that exact left turn hundreds of times. Theres was no better judgement he could have used. Had I been in his shoes, I'd be dead too no doubt in my mind.

If you read my post above I describe why. It is not a straight on situation.

I don't doubt that...but you weren't going 85, you were going 165. If you were going 85 the flow of traffic we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 07-15-16, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This may help you. This is River Rd where the Volt made the left, the BMW was oncoming from up that hill around the bend. This is from the left turn lane and is the sightline the Volt would have had. This shot makes it look like a longer stretch than it is, its way closer than that. At the speed limit its about 4 seconds from when you crest that hill to where you cross Pyle Rd. At 3 times as fast it would be ~1.5 seconds, not enough time to make the turn.

Remember too it was dark, and all he would have seen were headlights up ahead.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-15-16 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 04:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Sure, no one does 55--anywhere. But, that doesn't justify 165.
Old 07-15-16, 04:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW officially lists it as an M2 on its website. The article, however, refers to "M235". I think the "35" part, as you indicate (and I agree with you on that), comes from the 335-sourced power plant.
The M2 is a totally different car, which is listed on the BMW website under the "M" section. The M235 is listed under the 2-Series section.

The 2-Series comes as a 228, or an M235 or an M2. The "M" in front of 235 is pure marketing. Think of it as "F-Sport" vs. GS-F.
Old 07-15-16, 04:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Yes--this is what the article said. At 115 mph, the other driver (1) has much less time to react, and (2) is unlikely to realize just how quickly the BMW will be on top of him.

Blaming both puts blame on the victim.

Quick Reply: Finally, a young reckless driver who accepts some responsibility for his actions