Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D review: Cadillac XT5 doesn't fare too well

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 08:22 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Common? Yes. But VW AG has shown that it can be done quite discreetly as well.
Yup. Some other examples of poor sharing are the Maserati ghibli. Sat in one, and couldnt be funnier to see the U Connect system lifted straight out of FCA group Dodge, Jeep. Window switches straight out as well. Good thing it handles and sounds like pure ........
Old 07-13-16, 08:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Jill basically hit the nail on the head.

Not too long ago 0-60 in the mid 6s was supercar territory.

As far as quality goes, they do have a point. We just took a 2015 Escalade on trade.. nice car, nice interior, I took it home for the night just to see what it was like compared to an LX. One of the first things I noticed was that the grab handle on the passenger's A pillar looked like it was made by Rubbermaid.

Nice car, nice interior but stupid stuff like that just lets the whole thing down IMO.
In other words, it fits right into the Caddy lineup.
Old 07-13-16, 08:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I guess the CD has a lot of issues with their promotional budgets this month :P
Lol.

As for your quote, I always thought the MKX would get forgotten about. But in all honesty, it's clear that the XT5, RX and MKX are in a class that is different than the Germans.
Old 07-13-16, 08:32 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not sure what C&Ds problem is:

1. It has a 0-60mph of 6.6 seconds. How fast does it need to go?

2. Compared to a SQ5. Why would you compare a standard vehicle to a Sport line model?

3. Interior was nice, like they said.

4. Shift levers/buttons are all different. So what? Perhaps it adds a level of sophistication

5. Skidpad of .84G is pretty darn good.

6. It DOES NOT have a hideous front end. That should be enough to win a comparo

Perhaps Cadillac pulled the plug on C&D advertising this much
It's not that they have a problem with the XT5 in and of itself, it's just that the German competition seems to do everything better, for the same price.

For Point #1, they comment on how competitors achieve times of 5.2 to 5.9 seconds.

For #2, it's because the XT5 is priced similarly to the SQ5

For #3, yes the interior of the Platinum was nice, but they still found many rough edges and finishes and some lacking little details, but luxury cars are supposed to be about getting all the little details correct and uniform.

For #5, yes they said that the handling figures were more on par with the competitors, again save for the sporty minded SQ5.

I think the article got it right. Yes, the XT5 is better than the SRX, which is great for Cadillac as it has sold a ton of SRX's and will have good chance to keep most of those buyers with this new model, but it doesn't seem to go far enough to attract new buyers into the fold, which is what the brand desperately needs.
Old 07-13-16, 10:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lol.

As for your quote, I always thought the MKX would get forgotten about. But in all honesty, it's clear that the XT5, RX and MKX are in a class that is different than the Germans.
I think the new XT5 from the press docket, looks to be eye pleasing. However, its soo much of nip and tuck outside, that ehhh makes it boring, and makes it GM roots very apparent. The CTS, ATS look sleek and svelte, while this looks like someone from the design department decided screw it, CUVs are selling like hotcakes, so who gives if this thing looks bloated and similar to the last gen, buyers probably wont care.

Inside the materials are fancy and upscale. I just hope they last longer then their other products. Would loved the high gloss black trim, but realized that was scratch prone,

Sidenote:
Everyone in from A-Z in the car industry (talking about dealers and owners alike) has a class system.

Talk to a Acura Dealership, Buick is below them, Lexus, BMW, Audi, Merc are on their level.
Talk to a Volvo dealership Acura, Lexus are below them, they compete only with de germans
Talk to a lexus dealership. Acura, Volvo are below them, they compete only with de germans.

Its funny
Old 07-13-16, 10:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Sidenote:
Everyone in from A-Z in the car industry (talking about dealers and owners alike) has a class system.

Talk to a Acura Dealership, Buick is below them, Lexus, BMW, Audi, Merc are on their level.
Talk to a Volvo dealership Acura, Lexus are below them, they compete only with de germans
Talk to a lexus dealership. Acura, Volvo are below them, they compete only with de germans.

Its funny
Great way if saying it.

However what I meant was that the RX, MKX, and XT5 are a different style and type if vehicle than what MB, Audi, and BMW offers at that price point. Not really the badge, but the vehicle itself.

An A3, ILX and Verano could all be compared. But an IS, A4, and c-class are all a notch above. But then in some ways you could compare a Land Cruiser with a Range Rover.
Old 07-14-16, 04:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

So let's see, a thin cupholder cover and a rubber grab handle on the Escalade relegate the XT5 to the trash heap. What a bunch of hogwash bias.
Old 07-14-16, 04:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
So let's see, a thin cupholder cover and a rubber grab handle on the Escalade relegate the XT5 to the trash heap. What a bunch of hogwash bias.
I agree. When trivial stuff like that becomes a deal-breaker, IMO we've just become too picky and spoiled.

I'm not saying don't complain about things that clearly could be better (I do so myself, and that's the whole purpose of vehicle reviews in the first place)....but when something like that becomes the deciding factor, IMO somebody has got some messed up priorities.
Old 07-14-16, 10:39 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bd5400
Isn't that just a common downside of shared platform vehicles? Lexus is guilty of it as well, though it feels like they've been trying to move away from that with their newer models. My GX 460 has plenty of "cheap" parts that clearly carried over from the Toyota LC Prado that it's based on. The grab handles, signal stalks, cruise control stalk, center console, door handle, etc. all feel cheap and lifted straight off a downmarket car.
Yeah the GX has always had a lot of shared components around. My IS shares the same cruise control stalk and other controls with new and decades-old Camrys. Newer Lexuses have gotten better at this.
Old 07-14-16, 10:41 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. When trivial stuff like that becomes a deal-breaker, IMO we've just become too picky and spoiled.

I'm not saying don't complain about things that clearly could be better (I do so myself, and that's the whole purpose of vehicle reviews in the first place)....but when something like that becomes the deciding factor, IMO somebody has got some messed up priorities.
Logically it seems trivial but when the competition is paying attention to the details and Cadillac isn't then people notice. We want it all in life as shallow as it sounds.
Old 07-14-16, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Logically it seems trivial but when the competition is paying attention to the details and Cadillac isn't then people notice. We want it all in life as shallow as it sounds.
Lexus is not paying attention to the major things like twin turbo V6, twin turbo V8s or even a V12. Lexus engines are how old?

So at least Cadillac is paying attention to major things. The details don't bother everyone

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-14-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 01:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Yeah the GX has always had a lot of shared components around. My IS shares the same cruise control stalk and other controls with new and decades-old Camrys. Newer Lexuses have gotten better at this.
The "parts bin" complaint has been around forever, and will be around until car companies only have one brand.

I'm not aware of the ATS sharing it's chintzy instrument panel with any other GM cars, but look around and that's one of the top complaints about that car--that it "belongs in a" [fill in the blank cheap car]. And no one would complain if their Chevy Cruze started including higher-class trim pieces from Cadillac or Buick. And almost every writer that knocks the CUE also points out that the Chevy and Buick infotainment systems are better--so would it be ok to share that, or no?
Old 07-14-16, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The "parts bin" complaint has been around forever, and will be around until car companies only have one brand.

I'm not aware of the ATS sharing it's chintzy instrument panel with any other GM cars, but look around and that's one of the top complaints about that car--that it "belongs in a" [fill in the blank cheap car].
Agreed that the the ATS interior could be nicer, but I wouldn't call it El Cheapo by any means.

And no one would complain if their Chevy Cruze started including higher-class trim pieces from Cadillac or Buick.
I'm actually not quite as impressed with the latest (2016) Cruze interior as I was with the last one. Here's the last-generation interior, which I was quite impressed with.