Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D review: Cadillac XT5 doesn't fare too well

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 05:27 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C&D review: Cadillac XT5 doesn't fare too well

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wd-test-review

I'm not one to really value what auto journalists say, but I'm posting this because I really found this review to be in-line with my own personal experiences with the XT5. Like all Cadillacs, they are nice but rough around the edges and that is their problem. They throw wood, leather, etc. in the car but there will be misaligned stitching, cheap plastic buttons from the GM parts bin, etc. One thing I noticed in particular in all 3 XT5s I've sat in are the flimsy cuphold covers. They shake when you slide them open and closed. It felt like a car that was 95% of the way there but you have to go 100% of the way in this class. And while it's not ugly I definitely find the German competition and Lexus NX to be better looking.
Old 07-12-16, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not sure what C&Ds problem is:

1. It has a 0-60mph of 6.6 seconds. How fast does it need to go?

2. Compared to a SQ5. Why would you compare a standard vehicle to a Sport line model?

3. Interior was nice, like they said.

4. Shift levers/buttons are all different. So what? Perhaps it adds a level of sophistication

5. Skidpad of .84G is pretty darn good.

6. It DOES NOT have a hideous front end. That should be enough to win a comparo

Perhaps Cadillac pulled the plug on C&D advertising this much

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-12-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 05:36 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I test drove one of these a couple weeks ago when the local dealer got two in. It was an unplanned drive by so I knew nothing about the vehicle but was impressed in the short time I was able to drive it. I'm turned off by the new RX and am looking for something else.

C/D has a specific reader following they have to appease to, sports car/racer types. This SUV doesn't fit their mold at all. I don't know why they would review it and then compare it to a Porsche. I'm a turn key owner, I could care less about 0-60 times, just give me a comfortable, quiet ride and this new XT5 does it.

The one thing that concerned me was the stop/start tech. It did hesitate when I drove it and will be looking into that more. The writer said it couldn't be turned off but my salesman said it could be when I commented on it to him.

Anyway I think Cadillac has winner here and it will sell well.
Old 07-13-16, 06:37 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jill basically hit the nail on the head.

Not too long ago 0-60 in the mid 6s was supercar territory.

As far as quality goes, they do have a point. We just took a 2015 Escalade on trade.. nice car, nice interior, I took it home for the night just to see what it was like compared to an LX. One of the first things I noticed was that the grab handle on the passenger's A pillar looked like it was made by Rubbermaid.

Nice car, nice interior but stupid stuff like that just lets the whole thing down IMO.
Old 07-13-16, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wd-test-review

I'm not one to really value what auto journalists say, but I'm posting this because I really found this review to be in-line with my own personal experiences with the XT5. Like all Cadillacs, they are nice but rough around the edges and that is their problem. They throw wood, leather, etc. in the car but there will be misaligned stitching, cheap plastic buttons from the GM parts bin, etc. One thing I noticed in particular in all 3 XT5s I've sat in are the flimsy cuphold covers. They shake when you slide them open and closed. It felt like a car that was 95% of the way there but you have to go 100% of the way in this class. And while it's not ugly I definitely find the German competition and Lexus NX to be better looking.
I haven't done my own XT5 review yet (still waiting for my knee to heal more, though it is coming along fine)...but I agree with you about the flimsy, overly-light feel of the cupholder/cubby-compartment covers in some GM-designed cars. The ones with the Opel-designed interiors don't seem to have that problem (some of them don't have covers, period LOL) ...but, yes, I noticed that in the Impala, LaCrosse, and some other GM products. It was one of the very few things about the Impala that I had any complaints about.
Old 07-13-16, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not sure what C&Ds problem is:

1. It has a 0-60mph of 6.6 seconds. How fast does it need to go?

5. Skidpad of .84G is pretty darn good.
I have to agree with Jill on this one....no need for any complaints here. 6.6 and 0.84 is significantly more than most drivers will need for typical day to day driving. The auto press seems obsessed with speed and Formula-1 handling...has been for decades.

Perhaps Cadillac pulled the plug on C&D advertising this much
I don't think there is any direct correlation between ad money and comparison or review-ratings. Like I just said above, the main thing the auto press seems concerned about is athletic road manners...regardless of who provides ad money, or how much.

Originally Posted by article
Part-throttle downshifts are slow in coming, especially when merging onto a busy highway or at other times when a quick response would be ideal. But shifts can be abrupt in normal driving situations. For example, when coasting down from higher speeds while approaching, say, a red light that changes to green*, stepping back onto the gas pedal elicits a momentary pause and then a jerk.
There is some legitimacy to this complaint, however, by C&D. Some GM 6 and 8-speed automatics do suffer a little from a hiccup recovering from part-throttle cutbacks or coasting. It affects a number of models going back several years. It's one of the few things about my own car that I don't care for, but I don't find it that big a deal.....and it can be eased or minimized (or prevented altogether) by avoiding sharp throttle-cutbacks, and using a light foot.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 07:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Jill basically hit the nail on the head.

Not too long ago 0-60 in the mid 6s was supercar

Nice car, nice interior but stupid stuff like that just lets the whole thing down IMO.
That hasn't been a super car time since I've been alive. But yes I agree it's sad Cadillac can't get the small details right.
Old 07-13-16, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

One of the first things I noticed was that the grab handle on the passenger's A pillar looked like it was made by Rubbermaid.

Right, but for those who buy the Escalade, it doesn't seem to matter.
Old 07-13-16, 07:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I don't think there is any direct correlation between ad money and comparison or review-ratings. Like I just said above, the main thing the auto press seems concerned about is athletic road manners...regardless of who provides ad money, or how much.

Well, you are the one who always mentions that Consumers Reports doesn't accept advertising revenue.
Old 07-13-16, 08:00 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
They throw wood, leather, etc. in the car but there will be misaligned stitching, cheap plastic buttons from the GM parts bin, etc. One thing I noticed in particular in all 3 XT5s I've sat in are the flimsy cuphold covers. They shake when you slide them open and closed. It felt like a car that was 95% of the way there but you have to go 100% of the way in this class.
One of the first things I noticed was that the grab handle on the passenger's A pillar looked like it was made by Rubbermaid.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
but I agree with you about the flimsy, overly-light feel of the cupholder/cubby-compartment covers in some GM-designed cars.
Isn't that just a common downside of shared platform vehicles? Lexus is guilty of it as well, though it feels like they've been trying to move away from that with their newer models. My GX 460 has plenty of "cheap" parts that clearly carried over from the Toyota LC Prado that it's based on. The grab handles, signal stalks, cruise control stalk, center console, door handle, etc. all feel cheap and lifted straight off a downmarket car.
Old 07-13-16, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, you are the one who always mentions that Consumers Reports doesn't accept advertising revenue.
It's not me.....they themselves highlight that, in every magazine-issue or web-site update they do. And CR is fair and not biased in their vehicle-reviews on reliability charts....though I don't always agree 100% with their reviews. What's more, CR's reviews are sharply different from many reviews done in the auto press........like your own comments a few posts back about C&D, CR does not necessarily glorify acceleration or handling, though, of course, they do mention if they feel a vehicle is excessively slow or poor-handling.
Old 07-13-16, 08:07 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
Isn't that just a common downside of shared platform vehicles? Lexus is guilty of it as well, though it feels like they've been trying to move away from that with their newer models. My GX 460 has plenty of "cheap" parts that clearly carried over from the Toyota LC Prado that it's based on. The grab handles, signal stalks, cruise control stalk, center console, door handle, etc. all feel cheap and lifted straight off a downmarket car.
Common? Yes. But VW AG has shown that it can be done quite discreetly as well.
Old 07-13-16, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Downmarket vehicles don't necessarily have cheap or flimsy-feeeling parts. The hardware in my brother's Kia Sportage, for example, seems first-rate, especially for its 25K price.
Old 07-13-16, 08:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My GX 460 has plenty of "cheap" parts that clearly carried over from the Toyota LC Prado that it's based on. The grab handles, signal stalks, cruise control stalk, center console, door handle, etc. all feel cheap and lifted straight off a downmarket car.
The GX460 had some questionable control switches, and the rear door is a PITA, and for a V8, the HP ratings seem a little on the low side.
Old 07-13-16, 08:16 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Cadillac’s avowed mission to combat the German brands shouldn’t blind us to the reality that the burgeoning segment also includes the likes of the Lincoln MKX, the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque, and the Lexus RX350, against which the XT5 looks stronger. None of those can run with the Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, either, and the Cadillac offers clear advantages over these midpack contenders.
I guess the CD has a lot of issues with their promotional budgets this month :P

Quick Reply: C&D review: Cadillac XT5 doesn't fare too well