Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Okay, time for everyone's opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Okay, time for everyone's opinion

So, I've got 3 car trades ahead of me.

1) My cousin is moving here to live with my elderly mother. I need to lease a comfortable, solid car for the two of them to ride around in. It must be reliable because my cousin will never take it to the shop for service. I'm thinking Civic or Accord. Any other suggestions?

2) My S5 lease is up in December. I would love to lease another Audi, but the lease rates are ridiculous. In fact, the lease payment on an A6 is higher than the finance payment. As many have said, Audis don't lease well. I'm paying $975 per month for 2 years on my S5. I am looking for a more practical but equally fast car. Most likely a sedan or SUV with a great service department. (That takes Jeep, Hyundai, Kia and Mazda out of the picture.) I'm thinking of going back to a GS350, but is the Infiniti Q70 really that bad? It looks really nice with the changes. I'm also thinking Jaguar XE or MB C450 AMG Sport.

3) Our G37 Vert lease is up in June. I guess I don't need to worry about that one right now. We will probably replace it with an S5 Cab (purchased, not leased).

I know I have a lot of test driving ahead of me, but as always any input about personal experience, performance, reliability, etc. is appreciated.
Old 07-11-16, 09:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

1) Can't go wrong with Civic/Accord or Corrolla/Camry for reliability - get one that leases cheaper.

2) Get the BMW M4 end of story! the car is MUCH nicer than S5 - more performance, tech, and most of all FUN!
Leases are much better than Audi. 2nd Option would be RCF.
3) If you don't get the M4, at least get the new 440i Conv.
Old 07-11-16, 09:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

1. I would go for a HRV, CRV, or RAV4. Easy for elderly to get in and out.

2. Q70 is nice but so outdated. The GS350 is ugly IMO. BMW is throwing out crazy lease deals on the F10 as the they prepare for the new generation to come in. You don't like MB's...wanna get weird and try to see if Jag will haggle with you on an XF? Not my cup of tea but it might be a new experience for you. I would push for a Porsche Macan personally.
Old 07-11-16, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I feel bad Audis lease so bad lately. They are fine cars. While I know Audi is trying to preserve resale value, I don't think it's a wise move to do what they are doing. Nearly all their competitors have had low leases for a good dozen years, and I've yet to see any negative effects from that. Just more people leasing those cars.

If I were in the pool right now, I'd be looking at Accords and RAV4's. They are modern, roomy, reliable cars that offer most things well. For something with a little more panache, the BMW 3-series and Lexis IS200t are also smart choices, thanks to those low lease numbers.
Old 07-12-16, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One thing, though, with the new BMW 3-series......don't expect them to drive like they used to. They simply don't have the same chassis and steering systems any more.

Civic and Accord reliability is obvious, but there are many other reliable cars in that category.......Corolla, Camry, Mazda3, Mazda6, etc.... Subarus tend to be quite reliable overall, and come with standard AWD for bad weather, but long-term engine reliability has been spotty on some models.

Most likely a sedan or SUV with a great service department. (That takes Jeep, Hyundai, Kia and Mazda out of the picture.)
A lower-line nameplate does not necessarily mean a crap service department. My brother, for instance, owns a Kia Sportage, and the local service department treats their customers like kings. In his case, though, the dealership's owner is also a Member of Congress.

The Q70 seems like a potentially good suggestion...and lease rates shouldn't be too bad. The reliability of some Nissan/Infiniti products has suffered from French Renault ownership, but, according to Consumer Reports, The Q70 has had average reliability overall.....not bad. (at least not in the lemon category LOL).
Old 07-12-16, 10:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2

1) My cousin is moving here to live with my elderly mother. I need to lease a comfortable, solid car for the two of them to ride around in. It must be reliable because my cousin will never take it to the shop for service. I'm thinking Civic or Accord. Any other suggestions?

>>>Altima. Hands down. Drive it and you will know what I mean.

2) Most likely a sedan or SUV with a great service department. (That takes Jeep, Hyundai, Kia and Mazda out of the picture.)
Great service dept - as in staffed with hot chicks or free food or free wifi or....??
Old 07-12-16, 12:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with TangoRed--I think you want something with better ground clearance. Mazda CX-3, Kia Soul, Honda HR-V if you want to minimize costs.

2) My S5 lease is up in December. I would love to lease another Audi, but the lease rates are ridiculous. In fact, the lease payment on an A6 is higher than the finance payment. As many have said, Audis don't lease well. I'm paying $975 per month for 2 years on my S5. I am looking for a more practical but equally fast car. Most likely a sedan or SUV with a great service department. (That takes Jeep, Hyundai, Kia and Mazda out of the picture.) I'm thinking of going back to a GS350, but is the Infiniti Q70 really that bad? It looks really nice with the changes. I'm also thinking Jaguar XE or MB C450 AMG Sport.
I don't lease, but I know that BMW lease rates are pretty good. 340i, or 435i if you want to stay with a 2 door, or a 435i Gran Coupe if you want to blend them (the 340 will have more HP, but depending on your timing, the 435 is becoming the 440 with the higher HP rating; though; none as much as the S5). The current GS has been out for a while now, and me, personally, I just don't love any of the current Infinitis.

3) Our G37 Vert lease is up in June. I guess I don't need to worry about that one right now. We will probably replace it with an S5 Cab (purchased, not leased).
435i/440i convertible?

Last edited by tex2670; 07-12-16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 01:24 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Accord, Camry, Mazda 6 etc..you can't make a mistake with these marquees.
After getting bored with my S5, I chose between the RC-F and M4/3. In the end, I just could not resist the very good deals on RC-Fs despite being marginally lesser in terms of performance.. M4/3s are great cars but not not for me. I will let the euro snobs have them..
Old 07-12-16, 01:50 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I would push for a Porsche Macan personally
I'll second this. If an SUV is an option (and really, the Macan isn't very SUV like) then it's definitely worth a look. The XE may be good to check out, and it apparently drives very well, but if I remember correctly the interior is a bit of a letdown. If I was shopping for a sedan it would certainly be on my list however and if they ever make a coupe version I'll probably end up getting one myself.

As for the car for your mother, I will also suggest checking out the smaller crossovers as they may be easier to get in and out of than a traditional sedan.
Old 07-12-16, 03:28 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

We have a friend who had to make a decision like the one for your cousin. She chose the KIA Soul and loves it. Easy to drive and park and very easy to see out of. It is just a bit higher seating position than a sedan so she doesn't have to climb up to get in. Even loaded, it was in the low $20K price range. I personally really like the new Civic and prefer it to the Accord.

To replace your Audi, you should check out the latest version of the Q50. Even with the milder version of the 3.0t engine it is quick and the Red S is a bullet. To make these cars live up to their potential, the tires must be replaced. The run-flats that are standard are stiff riding and lack traction to match the cars capability. Since they come with an optional spare anyway, switch to better tires when new. Sometime this summer, the new Q60 coupe is coming. The concept looks great and if you don't need a back seat it might be a good Audi replacement.

When most of us talk about performance coupes and convertibles, we think German or Japanese. The new Mustang will surprise you. Much improved interior, much better ride, and good handling. The V-8 GT is less than $40,000.
Steve
Old 07-12-16, 05:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out the new E-class Benz, looks like a great car IMO and they should have plenty in stock of the new model if your lease is up in December. Granted it is a LUXURY car, so its going to be rather boring and softer than your S5 coupe.

The GS350 is really nice as well, although it has been out for a few years now. The Infiniti Q50 with the 400hp twin turbo six would be a fun rocket ship, provided you can get one with the base model car's hydraulic steering rack and not the awful feeling optional electric drive by wire steering.

As for the car for your cousin and mother, take your mom car shopping. Buy her whatever she likes and can easily get in/out of. Keep in mind some SUV's have running boards/wide door sills that make them tricky to get in/out of. Even though the seat is at chair height and you'd think its easier to get in/out of than a sedan, you have to hop over the sill and/or running board.
Old 07-12-16, 05:20 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw a new C450 today it was beautiful.
Checked out a few new E-classes in person and they are really nice from inside even with MB-Tex. Handsome but very understated styling and certainly not fun to drive.
How about a 4-series Gran Coupe? Those are sexy.
Old 07-12-16, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. One down... leased a '16 Accord today. Was very surprised at the great performance of the 4 cylinder, and it actually felt more tossable than the V6 I drove. $309 per month for 30 months, with $2500 down. A lot of car for the money. Heck, when I get rid of my S5 and lease something with reasonable lease payments that should make up the difference.

Great deal for a car that looks nice, has great fit/finish, is reliable and has the latest tech like Apple Carplay. I sent the pics to my cousin and she loves it.

Next will be the replacement for my S5. Not sure yet, but you've all given me something to think about. All are great options and I will be doing a lot of research and test driving!
Attached Thumbnails Okay, time for everyone's opinion-img_0037.jpg   Okay, time for everyone's opinion-img_0038.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 07-12-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for your car, indeed audi lease is horrible. that's mostly why our next car likely won't be audi, as much as i like the s7. for you, you can lease a m3/m4 for less and i think those cars are very practical. if you have to do sedan, i think you can lease a 550 for less as well and again very fast and nice car. e class probably will be on the expensive side. is the gs350 lease coming down again? unless you can get the old deals like 13-15 personally i wouldn't get it.
Old 07-13-16, 05:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The Q70 is nowhere near as refined or as good a chassis as the GS, and the technology is so incredibly outdated its unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Okay, time for everyone's opinion