Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Honda Accord selling like mad

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 06:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah Honda has gone a little silly with the sawblade wheels.
I agree. The wheels are not my thing, but my cousin and my mother will care less. The car drives great and has lots of room and tech for her gadgets. I drove it 30 miles on the highway today. It was quiet and really responsive. Although it's far from top-of-the-line, I'm still amazed that I could get this much car for $23k. I haven't shopped in this price range for a long time.

The wheels on the Sport and Touring models are pretty nice, but I didn't want to go that expensive.
Old 07-13-16, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think dicer was refering to the fact that so many of today's sedans try to imitate coupes by using a humped roof live for aerodynamics and a lower, sleeker look. It actually started with the VW CC and Mercedes CLS, and spread to many other sedans. That look, while maybe considered "cool" by the auto press and some enthusiasts, actually can be a PITA for taller people riding in, and getting in and out of, the back seat.
These cars don't look anything like a VW Beetle though.

If buyers didn't like the way cars were styled and designed, they wouldn't buy them. That's how markets work.
Old 07-13-16, 11:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Thank you mmarshall that is exactly what I'm talking about. Every sedan type car on the road has it. And sorry but I still say all these new bubble roof cars all look like a VW with a body kit. It is like way too much monkey see monkey do in the auto design world now. No one wants to be different, all the cars look the same except for the logo and the grill. And is Lexus ever going to change that stupid thing? And speaking of aerodynamics those goofy roofs are shaped like the top portion of an air plane wing, and that means a lifting body and that is no good for high speed driving.
Old 07-14-16, 12:05 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The first gen VW New Beetles have a tall, domed greenhouse, which enhances visibility and egress. The redesign model got it's roof chopped a bit. I took dicer to be meaning to say newer cars are coming with lower, sleeker rooflines, which cut into headroom and visibility. The only family sedans to have a taller greenhouse, like the first-gen New Beetle (and that's even a stretch), is the current Camry. It stands upright with a lot of glass. The Sonata and Fusion have the lower, sleek, harder to duck into rooflines, like the second gen New Beetle.
Old 07-14-16, 12:44 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really liking the new Accord, if I'm broke I would get it out of all mid size sedans, now it has to be 6 speed manual since I hate CVT...
Old 07-14-16, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lower, sleeker rooflines sure, but I have never seen any similarity to a VW Beetle. And the redone New Beetle came out well after many of the cars we're discussing, but those cars look like it? That doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by dicer
And speaking of aerodynamics those goofy roofs are shaped like the top portion of an air plane wing, and that means a lifting body and that is no good for high speed driving.
I think vehicle engineers know what they're doing LOL. If this were true then why don't race cars and sports cars have LS400-esque rooflines? Better aerodynamics are better for high speed driving. Lower rooflines improve aerodynamics.
Old 07-14-16, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I think vehicle engineers know what they're doing LOL. If this were true then why don't race cars and sports cars have LS400-esque rooflines? Better aerodynamics are better for high speed driving. Lower rooflines improve aerodynamics.
Oh, there's no doubt that jelly-bean styling and Humpback-whale rooflines improve airflow and aerodynamics....and ultimately MPG and maybe wind noise with it. But they also do a number on tall people getting in and out of the rear seat.....which, IMO, is one of many different reasons why SUVs are becoming so popular today.

As far as race cars go, they have to have not only the type of aerodynamics that you are talking about, but also downforce to help keep them glued to the road and prevent spin-outs. That's why those F1 cars have those large adjustable wings....today's F1 cars are essentially reverse-airplanes LOL.
Old 07-14-16, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a pretty tall guy and I don't have any issues getting in and out of the rear seat of a modern sedan.
Old 07-14-16, 10:25 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Accord is a really nice car inside and out. My favorite cars in this class are the Mazda 6 and the Passat but the Accord is certainly up there. Looks and feels a lot more expensive than it is. Overall I find Honda products to be higher quality and nicer than comparable Toyotas.
Old 07-14-16, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a pretty tall guy and I don't have any issues getting in and out of the rear seat of a modern sedan.
"Tall" then, must be a relative term LOL.

I have issues with a lot of modern sedans in that department. In fact, that's one thing I noticed about the CT6, even though my entire review of it is not finished (cut short by the injury). They seemed to use a little more of the old traditional taller roofline in back than is common with many of today's sedans......and I didn't have as much of a problem with it. (I'm 6' 2", BTW...and another couple of inches for the ever-present worn-down baseball cap).

Anyhow, back to the new Accord. It also has at least some of the typical humpback-whale roof of today's sedans, though it's not the worst offender by any means.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 03:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"Tall" then, must be a relative term LOL.
there's a difference between tall and large.
Old 07-14-16, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's a difference between tall and large.
Yep.....and look at what you drive. A JGC....with a nice high roofline and plenty of room in the back seat, though I'd imagine that you spend most of your time up front.
Old 07-14-16, 03:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That whole 4 door coupe nonsense, small windows that you can't see out of, and sloping rear roof lines really started about 10 years ago with the Benz CLS. Beautiful car, but not that practical IMO. Now everybody is kind of following that mold in terms of sedan design.

Old 07-14-16, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That whole 4 door coupe nonsense, small windows that you can't see out of, and sloping rear roof lines really started about 10 years ago with the Benz CLS. Beautiful car, but not that practical IMO. Now everybody is kind of following that mold in terms of sedan design.

Yes, you're right. It started with both the CLS and the VW CC. The auto press went ape-s*** over it, and other automakers just piled on. It was the same thing with BMW's I-Drive and Bangle-Butt styling.

The Mazda RX-8 also tried the four-door-in-a-two-door look, but using a different method...building in two small half-doors behind the two main ones, somewhat like a double-version of the last-generation Saturn SC coupe and its single half-rear door on the driver's side.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 04:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If and when actual consumers stop buying cars with the swoopy roof lines, then the various brands will quit offering them. Until then, it's really a moot point since sales drive the business and the manufacturers respond to consumer preferences and styling trends.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Accord selling like mad