Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Honda Accord selling like mad

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many, if not most, Americans have always traditionally liked big. They were more or less forced to accept smaller products in the 1970s during the gas shortages of that era (I remember it well). Large, roomy vehicles have always, socially, been the American way, though there was a small but vocally loud backlash against large SUVs that, for a time, led by Arianna Huffington...I used to sometimes call her Arianna Huff-and-Puff-ington LOL.

VW found this out (independent of the diesel-scandal) when they introduced the latest Passat to the American market......which was essentially a German Camry, and was quite successful. Previous versions of the Passat, which, platform-wise, were smaller and essentially the same as those sold in the rest of the world (though American versions omitted some body-styles and engines) just didn't cut it with Americans. Sales didn't really improve until the new Camry-like version was introduced.
what you just wrote has nothing to do with what I had mentioned.

Why would Honda build the Accord in the US but not export it to Canada. That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 07-12-16, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, I just leased a '16 Accord. My cousin is moving to town to live with my mother, and she needs a car for the two of them to tool around in. I test drove a Civic, CR-V, V6 Accord and 4-cylinder Accord.

-IMO the Civic is sharp-looking and has lots of room, but it rides lower to the ground than the Accord and just looks too "boy racer" for their needs. The tech is cool. The turbo 4 has decent grunt and it handles well. I see why they are moving so many.

-The CR-V looked cheap inside (not the top line model) and seemed to have lots of body roll. I knew the minute we drove out of the parking lot that wasn't the one.

-The Accord V-6 was REALLY nice, with leather interior, nice wood and great tech. With Honda Sense, when you put on the turn signal you get a totally different view in the side mirror alongside the car to see if someone is in your blind spot. Cool. The engine was refined and could get up and go. However, I didn't want to spend that much on a third car for someone else to drive.

-I went with the 4-cylinder Accord because it has plenty of pickup and actually seems more lively to toss around than the V6. I was really pleasantly surprised at the performance, since I never would pick a 4-cylinder over a V6. (Keep in mind, the S5 is my daily driver and I still wasn't frustrated with the performance.) Cloth seats, no sunroof, but it has aluminum wheels, a decent sized screen with lots of tech, Bluetooth with immediate phone pairing and Apple Carplay. Plus the lease payment was only $309 for 30 months.

The biggest bonus is that it will most likely only see routine maintenance for the next 2 1/2 years.

It is actually a car I could live with if she moves away before the lease is up. I really like the looks of the '16 Accord, especially the rear as others have said. Looks very upscale and the fit/finish in the interior is great! I had an Altima as a rental car, and the CVT in the Accord is so much better. The loud "groan" in the Altima almost made me want to wear earplugs. I didn't even consider the Camry. The Accord looks more upscale and substantial to me.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Honda Accord selling like mad-img_0037.jpg   2016 Honda Accord selling like mad-img_0038.jpg   2016 Honda Accord selling like mad-img_0039.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 07-12-16 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

congrats! the 4 cyl / cvt combo is so far beyond that 'spec' in the past... really great drivetrain.
Old 07-12-16, 09:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well not that Somehow the tailights are even more offensive. And I was thinking more like 1996 Civic hatch with 4 doors rather than just a liftback version of the sedan.
Just looks horrid. A true turd on wheels, much in the shape of the Crossturd that sold like garbage. I pray the next Accord does not adopt low-rent hatchback styling and alienating taillights.
Old 07-13-16, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

LOL, peoples tastes are so funny. I think its a great looking little car, especially in the Touring trim. Sales are huge so obviously some people agree...
Old 07-13-16, 01:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Damn the wheels are nasty but thankfully they're not the most important part of the car.

I do agree with the CVT comment though. I used to write off CVT as a whole until I drove Honda's iteration. WAY better than the Altima rental I had. The Nissan had an obvious rubberband feel to it where as Honda's seems much more responsive.
Old 07-13-16, 01:06 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the taillights. Looks different than every other econo car on the road - futuristic, and makes the Corolla look boring by comparison.

Honda makes liberal use of plastic chrome and satin trim to give most of their cars an upscale appearance.

Last edited by Chocolate; 07-13-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what you just wrote has nothing to do with what I had mentioned.

Why would Honda build the Accord in the US but not export it to Canada. That makes absolutely no sense.
As Sulu pointed out, the American and Canadian versions of the Accord are two separate platforms, and are not the same vehicle. American and Canadian auto-worker unions also undoubtedly prefer to see their own domestically-sold versions produced in each respective country, with American and Canadian labor.

And, believe me, LOTS of things in the automotive world make little or no sense LOL. If they DID make sense, I could spend significantly less time each day yakking about it in this forum than I actually do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah Honda has gone a little silly with the sawblade wheels.
Old 07-13-16, 04:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As Sulu pointed out, the American and Canadian versions of the Accord are two separate platforms, and are not the same vehicle. American and Canadian auto-worker unions also undoubtedly prefer to see their own domestically-sold versions produced in each respective country, with American and Canadian labor.

And, believe me, LOTS of things in the automotive world make little or no sense LOL. If they DID make sense, I could spend significantly less time each day yakking about it in this forum than I actually do.
I pointed out that Canadian and American versions of the Accord are the same model, and have always been that way.

Only the luxury automakers can afford to offer a model in Canada that was NOT offered in the USA. The last-gen MB B-Class was such a model. Mass market automakers will offer the same model in Canada as in the USA; the difference, if any, will be in features, options and trim levels.

What is different between Canada and the USA is marketing and that is because our market is tiny compared to the American market, about 10% of the size of the American market. Our preferences in automobiles are also somewhat different than the USA: We prefer smaller cars (compacts and subcompacts, and hatchbacks, such as the last-gen MB B-Class hatchback). We may get trim level differences and we may get "luxury" features on our smaller cars that may not be available on American models (our last-gen Corolla was once offered with keyless ignition and automatic climate control); conversely, on our larger cars, we may not get the higher-level trims and features that the Americans get (we get less features and options on our Camry XLE trim, including engine choice).

Because of this, we have some strange dichotomies in the Canadian branches of Japanese automakers. Our Japanese automaker marketing arms in Canada typically report directly to Japan rather than to the USA so that we can order the features that we want (within our limited choice of models) rather than be dictated to by the American marketing office. Our automotive regulations (crash-worthiness, fuel economy measuring, etc.) are harmonised with the USA, which facilitates free trade in automobiles (the Auto Pact is over 50-years old).

Our Japanese automaker manufacturing arms (because of decades of automotive free trade) report to the USA. We produce Civics, and RAV4s and RXs here that are exported south of the border; and we import Accords from Marysville, and Camrys and Avalons and Venzas from Georgetown. We do import some of these popular models from Japan but that is when there is not enough capacity in the American plants to fill American and Canadian orders.
Old 07-13-16, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I pointed out that Canadian and American versions of the Accord are the same model, and have always been that way.
Yes....sorry, that was a typo on my part. I misread your post. Like every other human, I occasionally post an error. Still, IMO, it addresses Jill's question.
Old 07-13-16, 05:49 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

All I see is VW beetle roof lines, I'm just kinda sick of them. Why don't they look at the roof on a Camaro or a Challenger or even the good old real Lexus 's of the past. Yeah just so funny that every new average car off a production line looks like a VW beetle with a body kit. Every car has the same shaped roof. Is there ever going to be a change?
Old 07-13-16, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dicer
All I see is VW beetle roof lines, I'm just kinda sick of them. Why don't they look at the roof on a Camaro or a Challenger or even the good old real Lexus 's of the past. Yeah just so funny that every new average car off a production line looks like a VW beetle with a body kit. Every car has the same shaped roof. Is there ever going to be a change?
Agreed that today's sedans are getting carried away with the Humpback-whale rooflines. But, what's happening is that buyers who want (or place a premium on) back seat headroom are getting SUVs instead.
Old 07-13-16, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dicer
Every car's roofline looks like a VW beetle?!? I don't see that at all. Not in any way shape or form...
Old 07-13-16, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Every car's roofline looks like a VW beetle?!? I don't see that at all. Not in any way shape or form...
I think dicer was refering to the fact that so many of today's sedans try to imitate coupes by using a humped roof live for aerodynamics and a lower, sleeker look. It actually started with the VW CC and Mercedes CLS, and spread to many other sedans. That look, while maybe considered "cool" by the auto press and some enthusiasts, actually can be a PITA for taller people riding in, and getting in and out of, the back seat.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Accord selling like mad