Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Honda Accord selling like mad

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 06:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Traditionally, Accords sold overseas (and even where you are in Canada) have been done on smaller, more compact platforms than U.S.-spec mid-size Accords. The smaller Accords, though, were sold here (in a somewhat upmarket version) as the Acura TSX...until the TSX was discontinued.
Mike: That is incorrect. We have always had the same Accord models that you have in the USA. We have never sold the international (i.e. smaller) Accord when the USA sold the larger Accord. Our trim levels may be different but our models are the same ones you have.

Our market up here is so small that it is difficult to make a business case for a model that is not also available in the USA.
Old 07-11-16, 07:32 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One man's opinion here-that Accord Sport is one good looking sedan. I personally think they hit the pinnacle with this one.
Old 07-11-16, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For me, I do double takes that the new Accord is not a 13-16 Ls460 from the rear and sides. Not really the front end at all. But overall, Honda has done a nice job.
Yeah, me too. The rear and sides, like you said. Thought it was an older LS at first. Nice work, Honda!
Old 07-11-16, 08:20 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The previous gen Accord Euro/Spirior was available only in Europe, Japan, China and Australia whereas the rest of the world got the larger midsize Accord. China and Australia got both Accord models at the same time, sold under the Honda brand. In North America, the smaller car was sold as the Acura TSX.

What a mess...

The current gen Accord is being sold everywhere except Europe. The TLX is pretty much a North American product now, except for small amounts being built in China as the Honda Spirior. Acura has a tiny presence there selling imported MDXs.

Last edited by chromedome; 07-11-16 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 08:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Here on the East coast there are not many of them on the other hand the new RAV4 is spreading like roaches!

Camry is still king tons of them everywhere.

Could be a demographics thing. Most I see here driving the new Accord Sport are latino.

The freshened RAV4 also deserves some accolades. I am seeing a ton of those in the last few months. It went from being an unfinished Suzuki Samari to a nicely finished family-mobile. I especially like the X5-style taillights.
Old 07-11-16, 09:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

This gen Accord is a great design - I prefer the pre-refresh Sport model without all the tacky chrome and hideous grill.
Old 07-11-16, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This gen Accord is a great design - I prefer the pre-refresh Sport model without all the tacky chrome and hideous grill.
I agree, the blinged out chrome grille is ugly. But what it and the rest of the new Sport trim did was make the body stand out amongst blandness. The side spoilers, blacked out large rims, darkened taillights, dual exhaust, and deck spoiler give it flare the Camry SE once had. I've noticed in this segment, people like flare on their standard family sedans. The Passat could really use such a package.
Old 07-11-16, 11:40 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
camry sales still crush accord, but both are doing extremely well.
as are the civic and for reasons i don't get, the corolla.
Camry sales in June were about 32000 compared to 28000 for the Accord. Hardly "crush" numbers. The Civic in June was at 31000, getting close to Camry numbers.
Steve
Old 07-12-16, 05:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Mike: That is incorrect. We have always had the same Accord models that you have in the USA. We have never sold the international (i.e. smaller) Accord when the USA sold the larger Accord. Our trim levels may be different but our models are the same ones you have.

Our market up here is so small that it is difficult to make a business case for a model that is not also available in the USA.
OK, if that is true, I'll stand corrected. I knew that the smaller Accord platform was sold in most places outside the U.S. (and in the U.S. as the former Acura TSX). But if that did not include Canada, then so be it.
Old 07-12-16, 06:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, if that is true, I'll stand corrected. I knew that the smaller Accord platform was sold in most places outside the U.S. (and in the U.S. as the former Acura TSX). But if that did not include Canada, then so be it.
Why would Honda build the Accord in the US but not export it to Canada. That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 07-12-16, 08:03 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with most...
Accord and civic look way better than the Camry and Corolla
Toyota is just so bland
Old 07-12-16, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why would Honda build the Accord in the US but not export it to Canada. That makes absolutely no sense.
Many, if not most, Americans have always traditionally liked big. They were more or less forced to accept smaller products in the 1970s during the gas shortages of that era (I remember it well). Large, roomy vehicles have always, socially, been the American way, though there was a small but vocally loud backlash against large SUVs that, for a time, led by Arianna Huffington...I used to sometimes call her Arianna Huff-and-Puff-ington LOL.

VW found this out (independent of the diesel-scandal) when they introduced the latest Passat to the American market......which was essentially a German Camry, and was quite successful. Previous versions of the Passat, which, platform-wise, were smaller and essentially the same as those sold in the rest of the world (though American versions omitted some body-styles and engines) just didn't cut it with Americans. Sales didn't really improve until the new Camry-like version was introduced.
Old 07-12-16, 04:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The new Civic is such an improved car vs what it replaced. IMO the styling is kind of ugly(hate the tailights), but I will give them credit for it being different.

Although I have always felt that the Civic(especially in upper level trims) is priced way too close to the Accord. For the extra $4,000 a comparably equipped Accord is a better value IMO. If you start comparing a decked out Civic to an Accord sport or LX, you'll find the Accord is actually cheaper.

I really wish Honda would do a stylish Civic hatch or wagon, that I would buy over an Accord sedan. Or just please make the Fit not look like such a freaking dork-mobile. I like the idea of the Fit, but its so darn ugly.

As for why they sell more Camrys than Accords, Honda generally doesn't sell to rental companies. Toyota sells a good number of Camrys to rental fleets.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-12-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 05:03 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I really wish Honda would do a stylish Civic hatch or wagon, that I would buy over an Accord sedan.
Coming this fall

Old 07-12-16, 05:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Coming this fall

Well not that Somehow the tailights are even more offensive. And I was thinking more like 1996 Civic hatch with 4 doors rather than just a liftback version of the sedan.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Accord selling like mad