Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2016 Buick Envision SUV Proves Disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 03:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default New 2016 Buick Envision SUV Proves Disappointing

Compact crossover falls short of sport and luxury—regardless of where it is built or developed

Most window stickers give a long list of features, detailing tangible mechanical basics such as airbags or wheels. Instead, the 2016 Buick Envision's list of standard equipment starts out with "Design and Engineering Led By Buick in the United States of America." This seems curious; a BMW's sticker doesn't proclaim that it is "German-designed."

So why is Buick, a traditionally all-American brand known for selling velour-lined sedans to modest family doctors and country lawyers, pushing the Envision's origin story? Turns out this new-to-America upscale compact SUV is built in China with 85% Chinese parts. More Envisions will be sold in China—where it has been on sale for well over a year—than here.

But regardless of where the 2016 Buick Envision was brought up, our first impressions show that it needs more time in finishing school.

That's troubling, because here in the States, Buick really needs the Envision to fill a gaping hole in their SUV lineup between the tiny Encore and near-enormous Enclave. Nearly every other luxury brand sells a compact upscale SUV, making this a very competitive segment. The best-performers combine nimble handling with a luxurious interior and versatile accommodations for people and cargo.

Buick would love for you to compare the Envision to the Audi Q5. They should be careful what they wish for. The 2016 Buick Envision just can't match the driving dynamics of the German competition—including the BMW X3 and Mercedes-Benz GLC—never mind the more plebeian Ford Edge. Despite compact dimensions, the Envision drives like a larger SUV, and that isn't meant as a compliment. Steering is slow and the Buick doesn't care to be rushed. The brake pedal also lacks bite, hurting confidence.

This is disappointing, given that our 2016 Buick Envision Premium is the version with the most potential. It has a 252-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, GM's touted HiPer strut front suspension, and all-wheel drive. Power is no problem, but the six-speed automatic sometimes shifts with a bump, posing no match for the smoother eight- or nine-speed gearboxes found in some rivals. A start/stop system saves fuel by shutting off the engine at intersections.

Maybe you don't care about tackling a twisty road in your luxury SUV, but would rather soak in a quiet interior and a cushy ride. The Envision only meets you halfway here. Engine noise is well stifled; road noise is kept at bay. Wind noise, however, already appears at around 50 mph, rushing around the windshield pillar. While the ride seems soft and supple at first, bumps manage to punch through, disrupting the cabin's calm.

On first sighting, the Envision's interior looks inviting and plush. A big panel of glossy wood trim dominates the dashboard, along with stitched accents. The IntelliLink infotainment system has a big touch screen and easy-to-use graphics, although unlike most GM cars, it lacks Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Again, the frustration is in the details. Mounted underneath an overhanging dashboard ledge, the too-low center dash vents freeze your elbows but leave the upper cabin stuffy. Hard plastic covers the lower dashboard, and there are some evident rough edges. And while the rear seat has plenty of leg and knee room, headroom with the optional panoramic moonroof is so tight, an average-height man sitting in back will find his head firmly pushing into the ceiling.

Buick is rolling out the Envision in a phased launch. All 2016 Envisions will be Premium trim with the turbo engine and all-wheel drive. Standard equipment is generous, including leather, a Bose stereo, heated front and rear seats, and a heated steering wheel. Even more impressive, advanced safety equipment including blind-spot monitoring and forward collision warning is standard; automatic emergency braking is optional.

That changes for 2017, which introduces more modest versions. Front-wheel drive becomes standard, with all-wheel drive optional. The base engine becomes a non-turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder, a milquetoast engine familiar from the previous-generation Chevrolet Malibu. Lower-level trim lines mean that the advanced safety equipment remains exclusive to the turbocharged Premium trim.

One of the effects of this broader lineup is to lower the base price. Our Envision Premium with the optional moonroof, navigation, and Saffron red paint came to a whopping $45,380. That's easily $5,000 less than similarly-equipped German rivals—but this car isn't even remotely in the same league. We just don't see any compelling reason to choose the Envision over the aforementioned Ford Edge, the Kia Sorento, or the Nissan Murano. A super-loaded Edge Titanium costs less and is roomier, far more athletic, and quieter. The Murano is plusher inside and a Sorento packs a third-row seat into a tidy package.

Overall, we find the Envision to be a diversion from GM's recent run of successful designs. The rewarding overall competence of the Chevrolet Impala, Silverado, and Cruze, or the dynamic excellence of the latest Corvette, Camaro, and Cadillac CT6 are absent here. That's a shame, given how many good SUVs—luxury-branded or not—fight to win buyers' dollars.

http://www.consumerreports.org/envis...-envision-suv/
Old 07-09-16, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Rather than import a questionably-designed vehicle from China, I don't know why Buick simply didn't do a version of the Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain to help fill the gap between the Encore and Enclave. It would have been maybe slightly smaller than the Envision, but probably a more competent design. Still, after my knee heals, I myself plan to review an Envision and come up with my own evaluation, regardless of with CR has.
Old 07-09-16, 05:07 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks so "GM" inside and out. Funky interior design with lots of plastics, bad powertrain, bad to drive, ugly to look at, and priced right up there with the Q5. I don't think anybody in their right mind would buy this. The Verano and Regal aren't selling either, the Enclave is ancient, and I guarantee the Cascada will be a flop. Not sure where Buick goes from here.

Last edited by BrownPride; 07-09-16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 07:08 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

A "Designed by Opel" badge would have made it more attractive

I think the Regal and Verano have much nicer designs because they're based on GM Europe vehicles. I'm not sure if GM USA or Shanghai GM is responsible for the Envision's design issues but I'm surprised the review said nothing about build quality about a China-made vehicle.
Old 07-09-16, 10:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
A "Designed by Opel" badge would have made it more attractive

I think the Regal and Verano have much nicer designs because they're based on GM Europe vehicles. I'm not sure if GM USA or Shanghai GM is responsible for the Envision's design issues but I'm surprised the review said nothing about build quality about a China-made vehicle.
The Envision is built off the same exact Delta D2XX platform that is used for the new Cruze, Vold, Opel and next gen Verano models. At least that is what is mentioned on wiki.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-09-16 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 10:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rather than import a questionably-designed vehicle from China, I don't know why Buick simply didn't do a version of the Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain to help fill the gap between the Encore and Enclave. .
The Envision was designed and engineered in the USA but built in China. Buick is huge in China so it looks like it was built for that market. It has been on sale for a few years in China and it has already sold 100k units to date there

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-09-16 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 10:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
It looks so "GM" inside and out. Funky interior design with lots of plastics, bad powertrain, bad to drive, ugly to look at, and priced right up there with the Q5. I don't think anybody in their right mind would buy this. The Verano and Regal aren't selling either, the Enclave is ancient, and I guarantee the Cascada will be a flop. Not sure where Buick goes from here.
It doesn't look that bad. I like the grille they use on newer model Buick.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-09-16 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-09-16, 10:56 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

One important thing to remember is that Buick sells twice as many cars in China as they do in the US. The Envision was designed in China to sell in China, so any US sales are gravy. The new Lincoln Continental is designed to sell in China as well as the US. The 3 liter turbo meets Chinese tax issues on engines over 3 liters, and the back seat is very large. Soft ride and quiet are important in the Chinese market.
Steve
Old 07-09-16, 11:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think I'll wait until other reviews come around. It's hard to base an opinion on just one.
But from a styling standpoint, there is no question this car does not stand out or excel in it's class. That translates to stagnant sales in a short 1.5 years, heavy discounts, and possible discontinuing. Same old GM story with so many models. Rather than do a half job, it was essential GM head to the top of it's class and prove itself as someone special. Some things never change with that company. I want so bad for them to rise up. SMH.
Old 07-10-16, 12:49 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

The Envision may be based on the Delta platform like the Verano but dash and vent design can vary tremendously, especially when comparing a taller crossover to a sedan. Bad design is bad design, doesn't matter which country it came from.

Anyway, looks like Buick is pitching this thing against the X3 and Q5 even though it's FWD. German compact crossovers sell by the boatload in China and the new GLC is also doing well. The Envision 2.0T undercuts the Q5 by 50,000 yuan whereas the 1.5T variant is more than 100k yuan cheaper - no wonder they're selling well over there. All this probably won't translate into lots of American sales though.
Old 07-10-16, 02:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
It looks so "GM" inside and out. Funky interior design with lots of plastics, bad powertrain, bad to drive, ugly to look at, and priced right up there with the Q5. I don't think anybody in their right mind would buy this.
"Right minds", however, can often differ quite bit among automotive buyers. I once saw a young couple fall in love with a new Pontiac Aztek, and take it home a couple of hours later.

The Verano and Regal aren't selling either, the Enclave is ancient, and I guarantee the Cascada will be a flop. Not sure where Buick goes from here.
I think you are ultimately wrong on the Cascada. It will likely pick up much of the market that is NOT going to the Chrysler Sebring convertible any more because it was dropped, and to the VW Eos any more because of the scandal.

The Regal doesn't sell because the Verano and LaCrosse squeeze it at both ends, and because the GS version rides too stiff for a Buick. The Verano, once a brisk seller, has suffered somewhat at the hands of the Encore. Like it or not, SUVs are currently taking over the planet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-16 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 02:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Envision was designed and engineered in the USA but built in China. Buick is huge in China so it looks like it was built for that market. It has been on sale for a few years in China and it has already sold 100k units to date there

I'm aware of all that, and of Buick's huge popularity in China (the Excelle/Verano is the best-selling car in that country). But the point remains that SUV demand is also heavy here in the U.S. (thanks to currently cheap gas). The Equinox/Terrain platform provides an ideal base for a small-to-mid-size American market SUV for Buick.

And gas won't be $2 a gallon forever. Buick may come to regret their current neglect of sedans in the American market.
Old 07-10-16, 02:55 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Well, they'll just dump the En-whatever SUV models and bring in a made-in-China Verano

Does Buick have to sell sedans in the US or does GM have models from other brands like Chevrolet that fill the gap? Buick is, like it or not, a niche brand that's only resonated with the Chinese market and nowhere else. Think of it as a Chinese Holden.
Old 07-10-16, 07:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Buick is, like it or not, a niche brand that's only resonated with the Chinese market and nowhere else. Think of it as a Chinese Holden.
I agree that Buick is a niche brand, but their sales volumes in the US market are pretty good.
Old 07-10-16, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I. The Equinox/Terrain platform provides an ideal base for a small-to-mid-size American market SUV for Buick.
The Equinox/Terrain models ride on the GM Theta Platform which is the same platfrom for the Opel Antara. Having a Buick Envision/Equinox/Terrain all riding on the same platform is not the right thing to do for Buick, it would be too much like the vehicles from the 80s and 90s. I like the idea that Buick is trying to make their own identity. Plus, the Theta platform is old.

Quick Reply: New 2016 Buick Envision SUV Proves Disappointing